Choosing a shower tub vs. a walk-in shower may seem like a simple decision. Many people have a specific opinion on whether they prefer to take a bath or shower. On the other hand, some people like to take a shower one day and a bath the next. So how do you decide which option is better for you? Allow us to highlight a few benefits for each to make your decision (a little) easier.
Benefits of a Shower Tub:
- Baths are known to be a therapeutic and healing
- A bath will help your circulation and can often relieve pain from joints and muscles
- A shower tub will take up more room in a bathroom but will allow for the versatility of taking a shower or a bath, depending on your mood
- Tubs can have an element of design and architecture that are lacking in a shower. You may choose a claw foot tub for a more sophisticated look or a classic tub for a more dependable look that lasts
- You can customize a shower tub with jets to better control the temperature of the water
- A shower tub is an ideal option for bathing small children or a growing family
- A walk in shower will take up less room in a bathroom to allow for organizational space or double sinks
- On average, taking a shower will use less water than if you take a bath
- With a good shower head, a shower can feel like a message and provide hydrotherapy
- If you have back issues or suffer from a disability, a walk-in shower will be easier for everyday use. Walk-in showers are safer than tubs since you don't have to step over the side of a tub. Most tubs are typically 16 inches higher or more
- A walk-in shower has a modern look and is easy to clean
- According to the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS), your home will still retain value if you convert a full bath to a 3/4 bath with a walk-in shower
Many cost options are available for every budget whether you choose a shower tub or a walk-in shower. You can pay more for a high-end materials or save a few dollars on the tile or enclosure. Either way, make sure to make the choice that works best for you in your home!
This article is part of the Bathroom Remodeling series. Read more for more bathroom makeover tips from Mr. Handyman.
Mr. Handyman can maintain your home to save you money. One call really does take care of everything on your to-do list. Make sure to stay on top of all your household repairs, improvements and maintenance needs and request service now online.