Exposed ceilings are better know as vaulted or cathedral ceilings. These are becoming more and more popular with homeowners because they offer more design flexibility and lighting options. However, like most things in life, exposed ceilings have their drawbacks as well. In this blog, Mr. Handyman will educate you on the pros and cons of choosing exposed ceilings.
Good news first shall we? Here are some of the pros of having an exposed ceiling:
- Increased natural lighting. Any rooms in your home facing south would be ideal for exposed ceilings.
- Hot air has somewhere to travel. We all know that heat rises and having an exposed ceiling could make your rooms cooler.
- Exposed ceilings give you the opportunity to be creative! Whether it is chandeliers, custom lighting, additional windows for added sunlight, etc.
- Extra room. Rooms with lower ceilings traditionally feel smaller and more cramped. Exposed ceilings provide you with the opposite by appearing larger and providing additional flexibility.
- Exposed rafters can add real character. A vaulted ceilings make most rooms much more visually appealing.
On the flip side, there are some drawbacks to having exposed ceilings. Here are some of the cons of having an exposed ceiling:
- The extra height that exposed ceilings provide makes room difficult to heat. This leads to higher utility costs and….
- Exposed ceilings can make a home less energy efficient. This is very true for those that live in northern climates during the fall and winter.
- Maintenance. Unless you have arms like Stretch Armstrong, you will need some additional help to clean an exposed ceiling or changing a light bulb.
- Cost. The installation of an exposed ceiling is not cheap and can double the cost of framing a room. As previously mentioned, the less efficiency on your heating and cooling will cost you as well.
- Decreased coziness. Lower ceilings traditionally provide that warm and cozy feel. Exposed ceilings make rooms feel airy and more expansive.
Need repairs done around your home? Don't let that "honey do list" get to long this spring! Contact your local Mr. Handyman by calling 877-256-3376 or request service in your area.