Every backyard deserves a proper deck and when you’re ready to build one, Mr. Handyman can help. We’re happy to announce our deck material calculator to help you build your next deck. Take the guess work out of purchasing the materials to build a deck and save time and money.
Building a Deck Just Got Easier
There are many ways to build a deck. We like to keep things simple, which is why this deck material calculator estimates materials for a ground level deck without stairs or a railing. If you need both, you can still use the calculator to estimate how much material you’ll need for the deck itself.
The variety of decking materials and variables is overwhelming. This calculator uses standard 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber for decking available at most hardware stores. It also assumes floor joists are 16 inches apart and 6 x 6 footers (stumps) are 8 feet apart and the deck is ground level. A few other important factors to keep in mind are:
- This calculator will tell you the size of the joist boards necessary based on the square footage of the deck.
- Footers should be set 6 inches deeper than the frost line for your area. This depth will determine how much concrete you need and how long your footers should be.
- For cold climates, the frost line is around 42 inches. For warmer climates, it’s around 12 inches. Always refer to local building codes to be exact.
- If your deck is elevated more than 12 inches, you’ll need to adjust the height of your footers to accommodate for the extra height.
- For bearers this calculator uses two 2 x 6 boards glued together with construction adhesive.
- If your deck is attached to your home, don’t forget to calculate the necessary flashing and anchors you’ll need used to secure it. Your local hardware store should point you in the right direction based on the dimensions in this calculator.
- In many cases, any deck over 18 inches requires a railing and stairs to meet code, so either keep your deck low or plan to construct a railing and stairs.
We’ve found this method to be the easiest and most reliable way to build a deck. Keep in mind, building codes vary state-by-state. If necessary, secure any necessary building permits before building a deck.
Due to variables out of our control, Mr. Handyman wants to remind you that these are estimates and you should plan accordingly.
Professional Deck Building
If you’d rather spend your free time relaxing on your deck than building it, we can help! Mr. Handyman can build the deck of your dreams and will use the materials of your choice. We can add features such as lighting, swinging benches, fire pits and more! Our experts will also take care of any necessary deck staining or painting to ensure your new deck looks great for years to come.
Give us a call at 877.685.1377 or request service online and transform your backyard with a new deck!