Are you wondering how to make sure a room is square? Knowing how to find the square of a room can save you countless headaches down the road when it’s time to install cabinets, flooring and other features in your home.
While you may think you can eyeball a room to determine if it’s right, it’s best to learn how to check for square.
Keep reading for a few different methods to make sure a room is square, so you can minimize hassles and set your home projects up for success.
How to Find the Square of a Room
Method #1: The 5-4-3 Method (also known as Pythagorean theorem)
With this formula, you can determine if your corners are at 90° angles (square):
- Use a tape measure to measure 3 feet from one corner and make a mark on the floor.
- Take the tape measure again, but this time measure 4 feet from the adjacent wall on the same corner and make a mark.
- Find the difference between the two marks on the floor. If you get 5 feet, you have a perfect 90° angle and a square room!
Method #2: Measure the Diagonal
With this formula, you measure the diagonals that exist from all four corners of the room:
- Use a tape measure to measure the distance from one corner to the corner in the diagonal and write down the measurement.
- Take the tape measure to repeat the process for the remaining two corners and write down the measurement.
- If the measurements match, you have a perfect square.
How to Make Sure a Room Is Square for Tile or Wood Floor Installation
If you plan to install tile or wood flooring, the following method will enable you to identify the middle point of the room if it were actually a perfect square. This is an important method to use if you want to have tile or wood flooring that lies correctly in a space.
Here’s how to do it:
- Using a tape measure, locate the center point on each of the four walls and write down the measurements.
- Divide the length of each wall in half and make a mark for this spot on each wall.
- Connect the marks on the opposite walls using a chalk line on the floor.
- Make another chalk line from the adjacent wall across to the opposite wall, drawing a cross that meets at the room’s center.
- From there, you can begin to lay tile or wood floor using the cross in the center as your starting point.
Count on Mr. Handyman to Make the Most of Any Home Project
Whether you’d like some extra help determining the square of a room or you need any other home repair and home maintenance services, your local Mr. Handyman is here to make your life easier and your projects more successful. Call our friendly team today at (877) 685-1377 or request handyman service online now.If you're installing flooring or new cabinets, a fresh coat of paint will really show off your new handiwork. Like Mr. Handyman, Five Star Painting is dedicated to enhancing your home projects. You can trust the Five Star Painting team to provide the highest quality painting services for your home.