Everything You Need to Know About Collinsville Drywall Repair
The longer you live in your home, the more likely it is you’ll have to hire professional Collinsville drywall repair services. Why? Because drywall, also known as Sheetrock or wallboard, can be easily damaged from water, accidents and general wear and tear. However the damage was caused, whether by children roughhousing indoors or excess moisture, dents, cracks and holes all need to be fixed right away. And the best way to do that is with expert Collinsville drywall repair services.
Our team of Collinsville handyman professionals are such experts. Highly skilled, each of our drywall repairmen are able to expertly replace and patch wallboard. But our services don't end there. Upon finishing the repair, we'll paint over the patch; hiding the damaged area completely.
Not convinced that it's essential to repair drywall damage right away? While some types of damage in Collinsville should obviously be fixed, others (such as small cracks or holes from drywall anchors) may seem like they don't have to be repaired right away. Just hang a painting over the issue and forget about it, right?
Not exactly. In this blog, we'll dive into why it's so important to repair drywall, and what the common causes of damage are. We'll also walk you through DIY Collinsville drywall repair, if you're interested in DIY projects.
However, if home improvement projects are not really up your alley, then don't worry. Our experts at Mr. Handyman of Metro East can get the job done for you. We always put customer satisfaction first and will work hard to earn your trust and business with every job.
Choose Mr. Handyman for Collinsville Drywall Repair!
If you enjoy home improvement projects, then you might try Collinsville drywall repair on your own. However, if you're like the majority of people living in and near Collinsville, then it's likely you’d rather the job gets done by trusted professionals, such as our expert team. There are many reasons why Mr. Handyman of East Metro are the right technicians for the job:
- Repairing flood damage/burst pipe damage. When a pipe bursts, the resulting water damage can feel overwhelming to repair on your own. But with the team at Mr. Handyman in your corner, we'll get your ceiling and/or walls back to normal in no time. We'll help to get rid of damaged drywall, clean up the resulting mess and install new sheets efficiently.
- Painting services. Our team will see your Collinsville drywall repairs through from beginning to end, including expertly painting over the patch. We’ll ensure your walls have a smooth, elegant finish.
- Repairing cracks and holes. First, our team will assess the severity of damage. Then, we’ll provide a solution for a long-term fix. That could mean patching a small hole or replacing an entire sheet, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Home renovation installation. Updating your bathroom and need to build a new wall to change the layout? We've got it covered. We’ll stick to schedule as much as possible, be transparent with you through every step of the renovation process, and work with you to bring your unique vision to life.
- Smoothing ceiling texture and repairing ceiling damage. Do you live in an older house in Collinsville and have always disliked your popcorn ceiling? Or maybe your upstairs bathroom flooded and ruined the first floor ceiling? Our team can help with a range of ceiling repairs.
Common Causes of Damage in Collinsville, IL
Sometimes, the reason you have damaged walls is obvious. Maybe you were hammering a nail just a little too hard and the hammer went through the wall. However, some causes of cracks, dents and water stains might not always be that obvious. The following are a few common reasons why you may need Collinsville drywall repair services.
- Settling homes. Cracks in your walls? It could be from your home settling. It's natural for houses in Collinsville to settle into the earth they’re built on over time as the earth surrounding them erodes and shifts. Those shifts can crack your wallboard.
- Holes from drywall anchors. Unless you're nailing directly into a stud, many heavy items such as TVs, large paintings or shelving units need anchors to stay secured to the wall. When these anchors are removed, they leave holes behind. These holes can be easily filled-in and patched by your local Collinsville handyman experts.
- Moisture damage. Moisture causes a wide range of problems, including: sagging, staining and mildew growth. Excess moisture getting into your walls can be caused by poor ventilation, burst pipes, flooding or improper drainage.
- Regular wear and tear. Doors slam into the wall, hanging pictures can go horribly wrong, and moving furniture can leave scuffs and holes in your walls. And when these types of issues happen, sometimes it means you need Collinsville drywall repair services.
Why Bother With Collinsville Drywall Repair?
It's essential to deal with damaged wallboard right away. It's also important to note that sometimes issues with your Sheetrock could be a sign of a bigger issue in your home. For example, a small water stain might actually be evidence of a leaking pipe. Putting off repairs can cause serious headaches in the future. There are many reasons why it’s important to hire a Collinsville drywall repair service as soon as you notice a problem.
Promptly Deal With Water Damage
Drywall is a very porous material. This means that bacteria can grow when it's exposed to a high moisture content. And when that happens, bacteria like mold and mildew are incredibly difficult to get rid of. Thus, once damaged by moisture or humidity, your wallboard needs to be replaced immediately—otherwise you may find yourself facing a wide range of problems.
Also, damp, mushy or soggy drywall can cause the non-supportive part of your home’s walls to collapse. While your home will remain upright, a caved-in wall can still pose a serious safety hazard—and is highly unpleasant to be around. There are certain steps you should take if you notice signs of water damage:
- Find where the water is coming from. A leaking pipe, flooding from a clogged gutter, poorly ventilated bathrooms or improperly sealed windows/doors are just some of the many problems that cause water damage in Collinsville homes.
- Fix the cause. There is no point in replacing your damp drywall until the water damage’s cause has been repaired—otherwise, the problem will persist.
- Clean surrounding areas. Any wet pieces of wallboard will need to be replaced. But, you’ll still need to thoroughly clean up the surrounding areas, including puddles on the floor, wet furniture and soggy carpets.
- Call our Collinsville drywall repair team. Once the source of water damage has been dealt with and you’re ready to hire Collinsville drywall repair services, trust the pros at Mr. Handyman of Metro East to get the job done right the first time.
Repairs are a Part of Life
Sheetrock is made out of two paper boards that sandwich a layer of gypsum (which is a powdery white sulfate mineral). Gypsum is non-combustible and much lighter than other materials. This means it's a perfect construction material for both residential and commercial buildings. But, unfortunately wallboard damages very easily. Thus, it's common for Collinsville homeowners to need repair services from time to time.
Keep the Elements Outdoors
Living in Collinsville, IL, you’re familiar with warm summers and cold winters. Drywall is not insulation, however, it does help keep your home comfortable by:
- Preventing moisture damage. Drywall acts like an additional barrier to elements like wind, rain, snow and even sunshine.
- Keeping pests out. Mice, rats and ants looking for shelter or food will happily stake a claim for your Collinsville home. Keep them out by promptly repairing cracks and holes.
- Maintaining interior temperatures. Drywall does not actively insulate your home, but it can still affect your home’s interior temperature and energy efficiency. Cracks or holes let warm or cold air into your property. These drafts negatively impact your house’s HVAC system's efficiency.
Keep Your Walls in Tip-Top Shape
Wallboard helps keep your Collinsville home safe and comfortable. While safety always comes first, what your home looks like is important too. Keeping Sheetrock in good condition is also important for cosmetic reasons. Repairing cracked, chipped and dented drywall as soon as you notice a problem keeps your walls looking smooth and attractive.
DIY Collinsville Drywall Repair 101
At Mr. Handyman of Metro East, we know that some homeowners in Collinsville are keen on DIY tasks. If that sounds like you, read on to learn the basic steps for patching wallboard.
Tools and Materials
- Utility knife or hand saw
- Tape measure
- Stud finder
- Carpenter squares
- Scrap lumber
- Sheetrock panels
- Sheetrock screws
- Joint tape
- Joint compound
- Drywall saw
- Dust mask
- Screw gun
- Taping knife
1. Outline Repair Area
- Draw a straight line at least an inch above and below where your patch will be, using a carpenter’s square and a pencil.
- Mark the nearest studs on either side of the hole with a stud finder.
- Connect the right and left studs with your top and bottom marks to make a rectangle.
2. Cut Out Patch
- Cut along this outline with a saw blade or utility knife. To get a cleaner cut, trace over the lines multiple times with your utility knife.
- Measure an additional 3/4” in each time you hit a stud. Mark this point to find its center. Make sure your patch overlaps with each stud slightly. This ensures it'll be properly supported.
- Carefully remove the damaged wallboard piece.
3. Cut and Assemble Support Piece
- Cut scrap lumber into a 1” X 3” piece, or cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to approximately 2” longer than your patch's height.
- Place the support vertically into the wall.
- Screw-in at top and bottom.
4. Cut Patch
- Measure a new piece of wallboard, so it fits the patch's size.
- Cut the patch and ensure its edges are straight. Use a drywall knife and a carpenter's square to do this.
5. Install Your Patch
- Fill the hole with your patch.
- Place screws about 1” away from each edge to prevent cracking.
- Screw into place at top and bottom using a drill.
- Secure your patch in place by drilling screws into the studs at each corner.
6. Finish Patching
- Frame your patch with self-adhesive fiberglass drywall tape. Ensure its seams are in the center of the tape.
- Using a 6” drywall taping knife, spread drywall joint compound across your patch tape. Make sure you create a smooth, flat surface.
- Let everything dry overnight.
- The next day, sand until smooth and apply a second coat of joint compound.
- Let the second coat dry overnight.
- Sand carefully the following day. At this time you may choose to put on a third coat. If so, let it dry overnight and sand it down after 24 hours.
- Wipe clean with a tack cloth.
- Carefully paint over your patch. A good paint job creates flawless walls.
Call the Experts for Drywall Repair in Collinsville, IL!
Have you noticed a hole in your wall? Or maybe your ceiling was just destroyed by a broken pipe? Trust the team at Mr. Handyman of Metro East with your Collinsville drywall repair needs. Our experts will fix the damage professionally and efficiently.
Each of our technicians are highly experienced and have all the necessary skills to ensure you have a flawless wall, free of damage from nail holes, cracks, dents and more. Your complete satisfaction is always our top priority, so you can rest assured that our technicians will go the extra mile to ensure you are happy with our services from start to finish.
Hire our Collinsville drywall repair team today to get your walls looking their absolute best. To get started, we invite you to call our courteous customer service representatives.