What You Need to Know About Tile Repair in Vancouver, WA
There might be a residential or commercial building somewhere in Vancouver, WA that doesn't have a single tile installed in it—but we've never seen it. Most homes and businesses alike have tile floors, wall installations, backsplashes, and even decorative tile trim, and it's not difficult to understand why it's such a popular material for finishing surfaces. It's strong, durable, long-lasting, beautiful, and incredibly versatile. But just like anything else in life, it won't remain in great shape forever without maintenance and occasional Vancouver tile repair services.
Cracked pieces, missing chunks, crumbling grout, and other types of damage can cause some big issues for homeowners if they're not taken care of quickly. People often assume that Vancouver tile repair is easy because the installations are made of up individual pieces—if one gets damaged, all you have to do is swap it out for a new one. But that process can be more complicated, time-consuming, and difficult than expected. This guide covers some key information about tile repair in Vancouver, WA, along with explaining some of the reasons why this job may be better left to a professional handyman.
If you're dealing with a major problem that needs experienced hands, or you just don't have the free time, tools, or expertise to handle smaller repairs, count on your local Vancouver handyman to get the job done quickly and correctly. The team of service professionals at Mr. Handyman of Vancouver, Camas, and Ridgefield has years, and in some cases decades of experience in the repair and improvement industries. We are experts in tile repair, so we know how to get your floors and walls back in perfect condition and look their very best.
Why Is It Important to Get Vancouver Tile Repair Service?
Seemingly minor issues like a cracked surface on one piece of tile or some dingy, deteriorating grout aren't that big of a deal to a lot of homeowners. It seems like a small spot of cosmetic damage that isn't going to have a negative effect on anything other than appearance, but that's not necessarily true. A little crack could be much more than a small cosmetic issue. That damage can worsen and lead to more serious problems that have you wishing you'd called a handyman sooner. There are some big advantages to getting professional tile repair in Vancouver, WA, such as:
- Avoid Moisture Damage: A tile installation is a protective, water-resistant layer that keeps moisture away from your subfloor, drywall, and other parts of your house. That's why it's commonly found in rooms like the kitchen or bathroom that are prone to moisture—it prevents water damage to the underlying structure of your house, including serious problems like wood rot that can affect the structural stability of a building. Vancouver tile repair will give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your house is protected against moisture incursion.
- Boost Aesthetic Appeal: You've taken the time to pick out finishings, furniture, and décor that reflects your personal sense of style, but issues, like broken, damaged floors or wall coverings, can really lower the tone of the room and spoil your design aesthetic. Our Vancouver tile repair professionals can get them looking as good as the day they were installed with experienced repair and installation services.
- Reduce Risk of Injury: Cracked or missing pieces have sharp, raised edges that can cause you to trip and suffer an injury from falling, or even cut the foot or paw of a person or pet who steps on it at exactly the wrong angle. After getting Vancouver tile repair service, you can rest assured that your floor is in safe, sturdy condition and doesn't pose any risk of injury to you or others.
Do You Need Vancouver Tile Repair Services or a Replacement Installation?
People in Vancouver, WA often ask us whether we think they need repair service or to replace the entire floor. It's a fair question—after all, you don't want to get a new installation if all you need is a couple of repairs, and you don't want to mess around with Vancouver tile repair if it's not going to be adequate to address the damage or won't end up looking right. In our professional experience, there are two scenarios in which a new installation is a better choice: the damage is severe or widespread, or you need to replace a tile but there are no matching pieces available.
If you've got one or two pieces of ceramic tile with minor damage such as scuffs, chips, and hairline cracks, Vancouver tile repair is sufficient to get them back in good shape. Our skilled team of handyman professionals can make the repair virtually invisible so it looks brand-new again. Maybe the pieces themselves are perfectly fine, but the grout is looking kind of gross and discolored, or it's cracking and crumbling apart. We'll take care of grout repair efficiently and effectively by removing the old grout and replacing it while the tiles remain in place.
On the other hand, extensive, widespread damage, such as large cracks covering a wide area or multiple damaged tiles, will require a different approach. When you've got tons of small issues or a couple of huge problems with your floor or wall, replacement is the most cost-effective solution to get your Vancouver home or commercial property back in great shape. Trying to fix a series of widespread tile problems will be time-consuming, and it’s likely that all those spot repairs will leave the surface with numerous weak points that will be more susceptible to damage in the future.
No Matching Pieces
Tile is widely available, so people sometimes assume it would be a simple matter to get a replacement piece in the exact same color as the ones they have installed in their home, but it can be a surprisingly frustrating search. Tile is made in lots, and a piece that is the same style and manufacturer but comes from a different lot may not look identical. Another problem is that styles are frequently discontinued, so if it's been a couple of years, it's possible that particular look isn't being manufactured anymore.
When you have a new installation put in, you should always save a few pieces. Then if you end up needing a replacement, you just have to pull those extras out of storage and you're ready for Vancouver tile repair. But you may not have been able to do that when your current installation was done. It's also worth noting that even if you did, it may not be a flawless match anymore. Your floors suffer wear and tear damage over time and may have faded or worn down to the point that the unused tile doesn't look the same as the others. One or two pieces that don't match the rest will stick out like a sore thumb, so if a perfect match isn't available, it makes sense to have your Vancouver, WA handyman replace the entire installation.
What Causes Vancouver Tile Repair Damage?
Your flooring or wall covering is durable and made to last, but that doesn't mean it can withstand anything and everything life throws at it. Maybe you already know what happened, but more often than not, how exactly your wall or floor issues happened in the first place is a complete mystery. Here are some of the most common causes of damage that call for Vancouver tile repair:
- Damage that wasn't that bad at first such as a hairline crack can weaken a piece so that even light pressure weeks or months later causes it to break apart completely
- It suffered accidental impact damage from something crashing into your wall or floor
- All buildings tend to settle over time, which strains structural elements like walls and floors and causes problems such as cracks, crumbled grout, and loose tiles
- House settling and other issues can also damage a concrete subfloor so it sinks down or heaves upward—and that results in broken pieces and cracked grout
- If your floor joists were not installed correctly and are too far apart, or have been weakened by wood rot, the joists can sag downward and take your heavy flooring material with them, causing serious stress cracks
Can Chips in Ceramic Be Fixed?
Yes, in most cases your handyman should be able to take care of a few chips in the surface of a ceramic tile. Keep in mind that if the damage is quite widespread across numerous tiles, a complete replacement will be the better choice. When fixing a chip, the basic process your handyman will follow for Vancouver tile repair is:
- Completely clean the area surrounding the damage and allow it to dry
- Use epoxy to fill the chip, slightly overfilling if necessary
- Smooth out the epoxy filler and blend it into the surrounding area before giving it time to dry
- Sand down the hardened filler so that it’s even with the surrounding surface
- Using paint that looks similar to the surrounding surface, paint over the filler to hide the repairs
- Add a layer of sealant to protect the paint
Can You Repair a Cracked Tile Without Replacing It?
If we're talking about a tiny hairline crack, your handyman can likely take care of it with basically the same Vancouver tile repair method we outlined above for chips. In some cases, it may be possible to conceal it with just paint, but either way, that piece will be weakened and will probably eventually suffer more damage. It also may not be able to keep moisture from seeping through the crack. That's why replacement is generally the preferred choice whenever possible. As we mentioned above, if you have extra replacement pieces handy, just the one damaged piece can be replaced—but if not, it will make the most sense to replace the whole installation.
Is It Possible to Install a New Layer of Tile Over Top of an Old One?
Some homeowners in Vancouver would prefer to simply put a new installation right over the top of the old one to avoid the laborious, time-consuming process of tile removal. That is possible in certain situations, but it comes with a few caveats too. Remember that it will change the level of your floor, which may interfere with doors or create a lip at the edge of the room that can catch your toe.
If you do want to go ahead with it, double-check that these conditions are met before your handyman begins:
- The area where the tile is being laid must be completely level, and the existing tile being covered must be free from all surface damage that could affect the new tiles.
- The space where you are completing the new installation must be supported by a concrete foundation. Any area that is only supported by floor joists could collapse under the combined weight of two layers of tile.
Not up to the task of prying up all that old material and grout for a proper new installation? No problem—our Vancouver handyman team will take care of that step for you as well so your new installation looks absolutely perfect.
Can Tile Be Installed Without Grout Lines?
Technically that is possible, but it's not a good idea—it wouldn't meet industry standards for a quality installation and you would find yourself frustrated before long. Dirt can work its way into the tiniest cracks between pieces and it would be impossible to clean out. The pieces would also be more prone to cracking as they would grind against each other when the house shifts and settles.
Need Expert Vancouver Tile Repair Services? Count on the Professionals at Mr. Handyman!
Regardless of whether you're in Vancouver, WA, or a nearby community such as Ridgefield, Brush Prairie, or Battle Ground, you can get the same excellent service from the team of experienced professionals at Mr. Handyman of Vancouver, Camas, and Ridgefield. We'd like the opportunity to show you why we’ve got so many reviews for our trusted home repair and maintenance services in Vancouver, WA.
Contact us today by calling us to chat with our friendly customer service team and find out more about our reliable repair services, or to schedule an appointment at a time that's convenient for you.