Mr. Handyman of West Los Angeles Provides Cooling and Energy Saving Tips
Mr. Handyman continues to help Americans from coast to coast stay cool this summer. Mr. Handyman of West Los Angeles was recently featured in a segment on the KCAL 9 News at Noon (Los Angeles CBS affiliate) with a section on lowering cooling and heating costs.
Los Angeles Energy Efficiency Tips
A few of the highlights from the segment are:
- Installing and using a programmable thermostat will help keep costs down. Every degree counts and can reduce your energy bill by 3%.
- Install a whole house attic fan. If you don't have air conditioning a whole house fan is a large fan installed into the ceiling that moves large volumes of air to keep your house cool. Lowering high temperatures in you attic can also extend the life of your roof.
- Install weather stripping - a 1/8 inch gap below your door can add up to the same surface area as a brick allowing lots of cool air out.
- Install foam plates behind exterior electrical outlets to keep cool air in.
- Remember to use your blinds and drapes to reduce sun exposure and radiant heat.
- Clear attic vents
- Install insulation - many homes don't have insulation in ceiling, even if there is insulation in the walls.
Read more about saving on your electric and utility bills in our home energy efficiency guide.
David Silverman is President of Mr. Handyman of West Los Angeles, providing Handyman Services to Los Angeles, California. All Mr. Handyman franchises are Fully Insured - General Liability and Workers Compensation. Some services subject to state and local licensing and may not be available in all locations. Click here to request service in your area.