Drywall Repair Colorado Springs: What Homeowners Should Know
There’s a reason why drywall, also known as Sheetrock and wallboard, is such a popular construction material. It’s lightweight, fire-resistant and inexpensive. Not to mention, once painted wallboard leaves a smooth finish that looks great in any home. However, its widespread use means many people often need drywall repair in Colorado Springs.
Drywall is not impervious to damage from water, accidents and general wear and tear. The longer you live in your home the more likely you’ll have to hire professional drywall repair services in Colorado Springs. Whether your children were playing catch inside, or a door was opened too quickly and the handle bumped into the wall, the resulting dent, crack or hole will have to be fixed.
The good news is that completing drywall repair in Colorado Springs is relatively straightforward. When completed by a practiced technician—such as a Colorado Springs handyman professional—you won’t even notice where the damage was to begin with.
In this blog post we’ll outline some common causes of damage in Colorado Springs and why it’s important to repair any cracks, dents or staining promptly. We’ll also cover the basic steps for DIY drywall repair; for those of you who enjoy tackling home improvement projects. If that doesn’t sound like you, don’t worry. Our experts at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs offer a range of professional services for drywall repair in Colorado Springs and are always happy to help.
How Does Damage Happen?
Before we dive into the importance of drywall repair in Colorado Springs and our DIY tips, it’s helpful to understand the root causes of damage. Sometimes, the reason you have a hole the size of a baseball in your wall is obvious—in fact, the culprit might still be rolling about in your house’s frame. Yet, some causes of cracks, dents and the like might not always be so clear. From the conspicuous to the inconspicuous, any of the following issues could wreak havoc on your walls in Colorado Springs:
- Moisture. Poor ventilation, flooding or improper drainage in your home increases the amount of moisture getting into your walls. Moisture in your wallboard causes sagging, staining and even bacteria growth.
- Settling homes. It’s natural for your house to settle deeper into the earth it’s built into as time goes on. Yet, the resulting shifts can crack your Sheetrock.
- Holes from drywall anchors. Heavy items such as TVs, large paintings or shelving units may need anchors to stay secured to the wall. When these anchors are removed, they leave holes behind. It’s important to fill these holes as soon as possible because the damage could worsen overtime.
- Regular wear and tear. Life happens. Children take their judo lessons too seriously, bookshelves get knocked into the wall by adventurous cats and innocent requests to “pass me the remote!” go terribly wrong. And when life happens in Colorado Springs, sometimes it means you need drywall repair services.
Why is Drywall Repair Important?
A tiny crack in your wall may not seem like a huge deal, (just hang up a picture and forget about it, right?) but even the smallest cracks will get worse if not repaired promptly. Also, sometimes issues with your Sheetrock could be a sign of a bigger problem in your home. A small water stain might actually be evidence of a leaking pipe or insufficient ventilation in your bathroom. Thus, covering up damaged drywall with a family portrait isn’t going to cut it. There are a few reasons why it’s important to hire professionals for drywall repair in Colorado Springs as soon as you spot any damage, including:
In addition to being lighter than other building materials, drywall is also more porous. Subsequently, when it's been subjected to water damage it makes the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. Because of the material’s porous nature, mold and mildew can hide in its nooks and crannies—making it almost impossible to get rid of. Once your drywall has been damaged by moisture or humidity, it needs to be replaced right away.
If you don’t replace damp wallboard with a fresh sheet as soon as possible, there’s a risk that mold and mildew can spread to other parts of your home in Colorado Springs and negatively impact your family’s health. Damp, mushy or soggy Sheetrock can also cause the non-supportive part of your home’s walls to collapse. Although structurally your home will remain upright, a caved-in wall can still pose a safety hazard to your family and pets. If you notice any signs of water damage on your walls or ceiling, you need to:
- Find where it's coming from. A leaking pipe, flooding from a clogged downspout, poorly ventilated bathrooms or improperly sealed windows can all cause water damage.
- Fix the cause. There is no point in replacing your sodden drywall until the water damage’s cause has been repaired—otherwise you’ll only have created a band aid solution to a recurring problem.
- Clean surrounding areas. Any damp areas will need to be replaced. But, you’ll still need to thoroughly clean the surrounding areas; like puddles on the floor and wet furniture. You can also use a house fan to properly dry-out wet spots.
- Call our expert team. Once the source of water damage has been dealt with and you’re ready to hire drywall repair services, put your faith in the pros at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs. Our experts will efficiently and diligently install new wallboard so you don’t have to worry about further damage or bacteria infiltrating your home.
Keep the Elements Outside
Living in Colorado Springs, you’re well acquainted with warm summers and chilly winters that reach freezing temperatures. Although both warm and cool weather is enjoyable while spending time outdoors (anyone ready to hit the slopes?), it’s much less comfortable in your home. Although drywall is not insulation, it does contribute to keeping your house comfortable by:
- Maintaining interior temperatures. While the function of drywall is not to actively insulate your home (unlike insulation), it can still affect your home’s interior temperature. Cracks or holes in your Sheetrock let warm or cold air creep in. Excess warm/cool air can in turn impact the efficiency of your house’s HVAC system.
- Inhibiting damage from moisture. Although drywall does not insulate your home, it does act as a barrier to elements like wind, rain, snow and even sunshine. When that barrier is compromised, moisture and humidity can seep into your space.
- Keeping bugs and pests out. Your house is an oasis to mice, rats and ants looking for shelter or food. We’re sure you’re no stranger to pesky creatures trying to sneak into your home. Cracks or holes in your wallboard are like tiny welcoming signs inviting pests in. Keep them out with prompt drywall repair in Colorado Springs.
It Does Not Last Forever
Invented in 1916 to replace heavier and more expensive materials like plaster or wood, wallboard is made out of two paper boards that sandwich a layer of gypsum (which is a powdery white sulfate mineral). Gypsum is non-combustible and much lighter than other materials, making it an ideal choice for residential and commercial buildings alike.
However, because wallboard is lighter than wood or plaster, it’s also more prone to damage from water, humidity and regular wear and tear. Put succinctly, it isn’t meant to last indefinitely. It will need repairing, or even replacing, over the years.
Keep Your Walls Looking Their Best
Sheetrock that is structurally sound keeps your family safe and plays a role in preventing weather and pests from infiltrating your home. However, while safety always comes first, your home’s aesthetic is important too. In this, drywall repair plays a pivotal role.
Damaged drywall shows up in your paint job; and nothing spoils a beautiful wall like an unsightly hole or crack marring its otherwise perfect surface. Accordingly, keeping your walls looking smooth means repairing cracked, chipped and dented drywall as soon as you notice a problem.
Learn Our DIY Steps for Drywall Repair in Colorado Springs
At Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs we know that some homeowners in our community enjoy tackling DIY projects. If that sounds like you, read on to learn the basic steps for patching wallboard by yourself.
Tools and Materials
- Drywall saw
- Dust mask
- Screw gun
- Taping knife
- Utility knife or hand saw
- Tape measure
- Stud finder
- Carpenter squares
- Scrap lumber
- Sheetrock panels
- Sheetrock screws
- Joint tape
- Joint compound
1. Outline Damaged Area
- Use a carpenter’s square and a pencil to draw a straight line at least an inch above and below where your patch will be.
- Use a stud finder and mark the nearest studs on either side of the hole.
- Connect top and bottom lines with the right and left studs to make a rectangle.
2. Cut Out Your Patch
- Use a saw blade or a utility knife to cut along where you just marked. Cut very carefully; trace over the lines multiple times with your utility knife, rather than stabbing really hard to begin with.
- Each time you hit a stud, measure an additional 3/4” in and mark this point. This will be the stud's center.
- Your patch should overlap with each stud; this will ensure it stays supported.
- Carefully remove the piece of wallboard.
3. Cut Your Support and Put It Into the Wall
- Cut your scrap lumber into a 1” X 3” piece.
- Alternatively, you can cut a 3/4" piece of plywood to approximately 2” longer than your patch's height.
- Place the support into the wall vertically.
- Screw-in at top and bottom.
4. Cut Your Patch
- Measure your piece of Sheetrock so that it fits the size of your patch.
- Use a drywall knife and carpenter's square to cut it and ensure it’s straight along the edges.
5. Install Your Patch
- Place your patch into the hole in your wall.
- Place screws about 1” away from each edge to prevent cracking
- Use a drill to screw your patch into place at the top and bottom.
- Screw your patch into the studs at each corner, so that it’s secured in place.
6. Finish Patching
- Frame your patch with self-adhesive fiberglass drywall tape. The patch's seams should be in the center of the tape.
- Use a 6” drywall taping knife to spread drywall joint compound across your patch and tape to create a smooth, flat surface.
- Let everything dry overnight.
- The next day, sand until smooth.
- Put a second coat of joint compound across the patch.
- Let the second coat of compound dry overnight.
- You may choose to put a third coat on the following day after sanding.
- Sand the final coat of compound.
- Wipe clean with a tack cloth.
- Paint over your patch, so your repair blends in seamlessly with the rest of the wall.
Why Hire Professional Services for Drywall Repair in Colorado Springs?
By this time, maybe you’re feeling empowered and ready to DIY your drywall repair. Or, perhaps you’d rather ensure the job gets done right the first time by hiring our pros at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs. Our skillful and hardworking team has the expert know-how to help with a variety of drywall repairs in Colorado Springs.
- Fixing cracks and holes. First, our team will assess the severity of damage and ascertain the root problem. Then, we’ll provide a solution for a long-term fix—whether that involves a patching job or replacing an entire sheet.
- Home renovation installation. Completing renovations that involve knocking down or building walls? We can take care of that too. We’ll be transparent with you through every step of the renovation process, and work with you to bring your unique vision to life.
- Repairing flood damage/burst pipe damage. When your basement floods, or a burst pipe damages your walls, it’s a lot of work to get it back to normal. We’ll be there to get rid of damaged drywall, clean up the resulting mess and install new sheets efficiently without compromising our dedication to excellent craftsmanship.
- Painting services. Our team will see your drywall repairs through from beginning to end, including expertly painting over the patch. We’ll give your walls a smooth, elegant finish.
- Smoothing ceiling texture. Maybe you live in an older house and have always disliked your popcorn ceiling, or you want to switch up your home's style. Our team can smooth out your ceiling to give your space a fresh aesthetic.
Need Drywall Repair in Colorado Springs? Call the Experts
Whether you’ve noticed water stains, hairline cracks or dents in your drywall, it’s important to repair the damage right away. Give the house you love the best care possible by hiring our expert drywall repair team at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs.We invite you to call our courteous customer service representatives today to get started today. Fixing walls is just one of our many Colorado Springs handyman services.