Well, it's that time of year when I tell all my customers that it is a good idea to walk around their house and make a list of home maintenance project s that need to get done. Winter can cause exterior damage to your home that may need immediate attention. There is also that yearly maintenance stuff that needs to be taken care of: cleaning gutters , pressure washing the deck, paint touch-ups and many other improvement projects.
I decided to take my own advice and make a "to do" list. I know my wife can rattle off at least a few things that I've been putting off. In my defense, I've been busy taking care of other people's lists.
Home maintenance project list:
- Finish painting the exterior of the house (I painted half of it in the fall - the sides that are seen from the street).
- Finish painting the shed.
- Finish that walkway I started a couple of years ago.
- Finish the master bath project that's been going on for months. (I can't wait to post the pictures!)
- Address the wood rot that was discovered while doing the master bath project.
- Refinish kitchen floor and stairs.
- Organize the garage.
- Regrout the kids' bathroom.
- Replace ceiling tiles in the basement.
- Get the lawn in good shape (which reminds me to also fix the lawn mower).
- Figure out a way to keep the sparrows from making nests on our farmer's porch. (May need to watch Caddy Shack for some inspiration!)
- Fix the awning.
- Stain the deck.
- Clean the gutters.
As you can see, I have quite a few things that need to be done at my own house. It's easy for that list to get out of control.
The first thing that needs to be done is to prioritize things. Some of the things on the list can wait, while others really need to be addressed so that they don't get any worse.
James Prendergrast is owner of Mr. Handyman Central Norfolk County 689 Main Street Suite 185 Walpole, MA 02081 508-668-0098 providing handyman services to Wapole, MA. All Mr. Handyman franchises are Fully Insured - General Liability and Workers Compensation. Some services subject to state and local licensing and may not be available in all locations. Click here to request service in your area.