With a variety of deck types and materials from wooden to synthetic, it's important to keep in mind that each property may have different needs for maintenance and repair. From inspecting your current installation to looking at potential alternatives, you'll find a variety of deck solutions that best suit your particular requirements.
- Pressure-Treated Wood - Pressure-treated wood is the most common type of material found in hardware stores for deck building, making it a convenient and cost-effective solution. This wood has been pre-treated with chemicals and additives to make it more resilient against moisture and bugs. To get the most out of it though, routine maintenance such as sanding and staining should be done every year or two, depending on the weather conditions. Additionally, keeping an eye out for cracks and splinters annually can help prevent internal moisture damage that could lead to rot. Deck repair may involve just a few board replacements in Avon homes, allowing homeowners to save time and money on heavier repairs.
- Composite - Composite decks are a popular choice for many people due to their synthetic makeup and durability. With ingredients like wood fibers encased in plastic and additives, composite material is rot-proof and highly resistant to weather. Despite having the looks of real wood, it requires much less maintenance than actual wood - just an occasional cleaning with soapy water will keep its original appearance. Although there is a high price tag associated with this material, Avon homeowners can save money on maintenance and repair costs while enjoying an outdoor living space that could last up to 30 years.
- Vinyl - If you're looking for a low-maintenance, budget-friendly option, vinyl decking may be the way to go. Installation costs depend on how much cutting is required, but it often comes at a lower expense than composite materials. To ensure that no vinyl dust pollutes your property during installation, hire the experienced contractors from Mr. Handyman of Avon and rest assured that the work will be completed efficiently and effectively with no mess involved.
When it comes to repairs, decks require a different level of maintenance than porches. That's why Avon homeowners can trust Mr. Handyman of Avon for any deck repair needs. Their professional service technicians bring an average of ten years of experience and have cleared background checks and drug screens for your peace of mind. As a locally owned and operated business, they have proudly served multiple homeowners in Avon and surrounding areas.
Avon Deck Repairs – FAQs
What Are The Signs I Need Avon Deck Repair?
Safety hazards can be hard to detect until an accident occurs and in some cases, severe weather conditions may cause unseen dangers as well. Don't let kids or pets loose until you have checked for broken boards or nails that have backed out. If the surface looks discolored or soft and you don't feel comfortable conducting these investigations yourself, then be sure to schedule an appointment with our professional team for deck repair. Avon property owners who notice any warning signs should take immediate precautions.
Pro Tip: It’s important to note that galvanized and stainless steel are safest for pressure-treated wood, whereas cedar and composite tolerate aluminum better. During your own Avon deck repair project, keep in mind that replacing screws and bolts can serve wonders by preventing corrosion from spreading onto your wood.
- Loose Railing - When laying your hand on the handrail for a safety check, it should be steady and secure with no risk of splinters. This is especially important if your deck is built several feet off the ground - any wobbling or instability could cause serious injury. Your local Avon deck repair experts at Mr. Handyman of Avon will inspect the materials used to secure the balusters and rail posts to the rims and outer joists. They'll also check for loose screws and bolts and will ensure that the frame is properly connected to the deck joists and beams. Corroded screws, nails, and connectors often go undetected because the rest of the system appears to be fine. Still, your Avon deck repair experts will replace them with non-corrosive stainless steel hardware.
- Broken Stairs - Broken deck stairs are a serious safety hazard, especially if your deck is positioned at a height. To ensure stability, the stairs should be firmly connected to the joists and supported by descent beams attached to the backside of the rim joists. Additionally, risers and treads need to be able to handle heavy foot traffic - however, over time they may start to wear out or even feel squishy when stepped on, indicating moisture damage and wood rot. Take this as your first warning sign that it's time for repairs!
- Mildew, Algae And Grime - Mildew growth on your deck is commonly caused by dirt and grime that settle in shaded areas that don't get much sun. This makes it difficult for the area to dry, especially in a high-humid climate. Rather than calling for expensive deck repair services, Avon residents should opt for pressure washing - it's a great way to prevent damage and prepare surfaces for resealing. Mr. Handyman of Avon offers pressure washing units that can blast away stubborn moss and grime in seconds with water pressures ranging from 750-3000 psi. However, your wood material will be inspected first before the service takes place, to ensure it can handle the high psi level. Afterward, have your local Avon handyman seal your deck to protect its structural integrity and extend its lifespan.
Avon residents shouldn't bear the burden of struggling to keep their home's exterior in working order. Instead, entrust your outdoor living projects to the experts at Mr. Handyman of Avon who have decades of experience in handling complex projects around homes. We are able to quickly detect damage that may otherwise go unnoticed and can ensure that every corner and surface is safe for you, your loved ones, and your friends.
Are Drainage Issues A Problem For My Deck?
Yes, they are. To maintain a healthy exterior drainage system, it's important to check your rain gutters and make sure they are functioning correctly. Leaky gutters that are dripping onto your deck can increase the risk of wood rot and affect the foundation if the weeping tile has to deal with excess water that is too close to the foundation.
This also increases the risk of basement floods or damage to your foundation. It's also essential to regularly check your concrete deck footings, especially after heavy rainfall, and look for signs of soil erosion around your posts - this could compromise the stability of your deck. Additionally, pooling water can wash away soil from posts and crack concrete footings.
How Deep Do You Install Footings?
Before you install a deck, it's important to make sure the depth of the structure is at least six inches below the frost line. For greater stability and foundation, your Avon handyman recommends setting the depth to 24 inches instead. Additionally, soil inspection is highly recommended for building a stable structure since undisturbed soil without any organic matter will be needed.
Can I Decorate My Deck?
Absolutely! Natural fiber rugs can be used for a beautiful look, however, it's important to remember that these rugs are biodegradable and tend to hold moisture. If you decide to go this route, make sure you hang the rug out to dry after cleaning it before putting it back on your deck. Taking these extra steps can help protect your outdoor space from any excess moisture.
Do I Build My Deck In The Same Manner As My Porch?
When it comes to porch and deck construction, there are some important differences. Porches are usually incorporated into a home's foundation, connecting to the roof and other parts of the house. For aesthetic and functional purposes, porches often feature masonry work, concrete floors and more. Decks on the other hand are stand-alone structures built with concrete footings and can be used to enhance the look of your house from the front.
Professional Deck Repair Services Near Me
Mr. Handyman of Avon is the go-to team to get your home's exterior looking its best in no time. Our expert and professional deck repair technicians are just one phone call away. We follow strict safety protocols and use the highest quality tools and materials to inspect and repair damages. With our extensive experience in helping homeowners with similar projects, often we can spot the issue in a single glance!