5 Tips for Stress-Free Bathroom Remodeling, Colorado Springs
Take a moment to close your eyes and visualize your ideal bathroom. Is there a jetted bathtub with a heated towel rack within reaching distance? Or maybe you're picturing a huge shower with a tiled bench and rainfall showerhead that will make you feel like you're in a jungle grotto. If you love cosmetics, your perfect Colorado Springs bathroom remodeling project should include a seated vanity with a large, well-lit mirror that will make your morning routine into the best part of your day—or your dream bathroom space may feature a wall-mounted television so you can watch TV from the tub.
If your current bathroom falls short of your vision, it's time to look into bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs homeowners like to keep their houses well-appointed and in excellent shape, and the bathroom is a huge part of that. It should be an inviting space for relaxation and rejuvenation, not a dingy, cramped little room that you can't wait to escape from.
It can feel quite challenging to come up with the perfect plan for bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs handyman professionals have come up with some tips for this guide that will make the planning a lot easier and get you on track to a stress-free bathroom remodeling process. When you're ready to get started on your design vision, rely on the experienced team of service professionals at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs. We have the experience and skill necessary to deliver your dream bathroom, so all you need to do is sit back and enjoy your new personal spa.
1. Consider the Possibilities
When you are working on a remodel plan, it pays to take some time to think over your options—and consider what your household really wants and needs. That may sound glaringly obvious, but it's actually pretty easy to get caught up in paging through glossy photos of design trends and forget all about the various possibilities that may work well in your home, from guest bathrooms to a luxurious master bathroom.
The possible options for your remodel will, of course, depend somewhat on the size of the existing space and its location in your house, as well as your budget and personal preferences for bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs room types or layouts you may want to consider include:
- Standard: This is the typical full bath that most people have in their homes, with a toilet, at least one sink, and a bathtub, shower or both. Older homes typically only have one standard for the entire household, but most newer homes include an en-suite and/or half-bath.
- Powder Room or Half-Bath: With just a toilet and sink, these small rooms are usually located on the main floor for guest use, especially in homes that don't have a standard bathroom on the ground floor.
- En-Suite: While this type is similar to a standard layout, it's only accessible by passing through another room such as the master bedroom, and it's usually bigger and more luxurious. It may feature amenities such as a separate shower and bathtub, or seated vanity table.
Should Bathroom Remodeling Include a Layout Change?
In all likelihood, your current bathroom layout follows one of a small handful of tried-and-true floor plans that are designed to maximize functionality and space in what is typically a pretty small room. It is a lot more costly to change the location of a fixture than it is to just swap your old fixture for a new one in the same location, so if you are happy with your existing bathroom floorplan, you could save time, money and hassle by keeping it as-is.
But if there are problems that do need to be addressed, or you are converting to a different type of washroom, the best way to make sure you're designing a functional layout is to grab a pencil and paper and make a rough sketch. It doesn't have to be an artistic masterpiece, but just seeing it in front of you on paper can be really helpful for identifying potential trouble spots for bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs remodelers will also be able to get a good sense of what you are looking for from your sketch, so you can ensure everyone is on the same page.
2. Make a Master List
The next step is to sit down and make a long list of absolutely everything you will need for bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs has a large number of home goods stores where you can browse the options in person, or you can look around online. You may think you know exactly what you need, but actually making a list could be eye-opening and it will make it much simpler to create a complete, accurate budget. You'll be glad you took the time to do it when you have a well-appointed bathroom with absolutely everything you need and want.
Your list will vary according to your plan, but it may include items such as:
- Floor tile and wall tile
- Ventilation fan
- Lighting fixtures
- Shower door or divider
- Storage cabinets
- Medicine cabinet
- Towel racks
- Toilet paper holder
- Waste basket
- Towels, bathmat and other textiles
- Artwork, plants and other décor elements
Are Bath-to-Shower Conversions a Good Idea for Bathroom Remodeling in Colorado Springs?
If you never really use your bathtub—except as a place to stand while you're taking a shower—it makes sense to consider a remodel that will eliminate the bathtub altogether and replace it with a large shower installation that will give you the luxurious shower experience you've been wanting. By getting rid of the tub, you make room for extras like a shower bench seat, additional in-shower storage, and maybe even a second shower head. There are, however, two situations in which you should rethink bathtub replacement:
- If you are planning to sell your Colorado Springs home in the next few years and you don't have another bathtub elsewhere in the house, you should keep it. Most prospective homebuyers are looking for a home with at least one bathtub, though it doesn't necessarily have to be a big, elaborate installation in the main space. Tub-to-shower conversion won't lower your property value if you have a tub in another room.
- If you are thinking of having children in the near future, you should keep a bathtub in your home. Babies and toddlers are slippery, and bathing them in a shower is not an easy task. That's why most young families want at least one bathtub.
3. Create a Budget
When you are planning out your budget for bathroom remodeling, Colorado Springs-style, you need to factor in material costs and labor costs. It's a good idea to get your handyman team in on the planning at this point, as they will be able to assess the scope of your project and come up with an estimate for what it will cost. Our team has plenty of experience with Colorado Springs bathroom remodeling, so we can give you a reliable quote and offer some expert advice when we know more about what you have in mind.
Even if you have everything planned perfectly down to the last dollar, remodel projects have a way of going over budget. Sometimes it's because the homeowner changes their mind about what they want halfway through, but more frequently it's because unexpected, unpredictable costs come up. For example, your handyman could remove tile on the floor and discover that the subfloor has moisture damage that needs to be dealt with. The best way to handle unexpected costs is to plan for them by padding your budget with 20 to 30% more than you think you'll need. That way, you can soak unexpected expenses without undue stress. And if you don't end up needing it, you have the beginning of a kitchen remodeling fund.
How Much Does Colorado Springs Bathroom Remodeling Cost?
The average amount that people in the U.S. spend on bathroom remodeling costs is $10,000. However, knowing the average cost isn't necessarily that helpful because there's such a wide range of possible price points, ranging from a couple thousand dollars to well over $30,000. If you're worried about staying under budget, remember that you don't necessarily need to gut the entire room and rebuild it from the floor up. You may be able to spruce up the room and get the transformation you're looking for—both in appearance and functionality—with some smaller changes. For example, a new vanity or tile installation can go a long way toward making the whole room look brand-new.
4. Choose the Right Materials for Bathroom Remodeling in Colorado Springs
One of the most difficult parts of the entire remodel is selecting the perfect materials for bathroom remodeling. Colorado Springs naturally has a wide variety of high-quality materials available to choose from, so it can feel intimidating when you're attempting to narrow down the options to a manageable selection of quality products. The best way to accomplish that is by asking yourself a few pointed questions and letting the answers steer you toward choices that will be perfectly suited for your home and the members of your household, such as:
- What style will best match my existing design aesthetic? (For example, minimalist, elegant, modern, rustic, old-fashioned, bohemian, etc.)
- What color scheme do I want to go with? (If you're not sure, the rule of thumb is to go with the 60-30-10 rule. That means about 60% is your primary color, 30% is a complementary secondary color and 10% is a contrasting accent color.)
- Is durability and performance most important, or would I prefer to prioritize appearance and design? (While it's not necessarily a trade-off between those options, it's good to know what your priorities are upfront.)
If you're looking for ways to keep your budget under control, material costs are a good place to look for savings. It pays to do a bit of searching for a sale or discount, because you never know what you might be able to find at a reduced price. This isn't about choosing poor quality products, because of course you want beautiful, durable finishings. But there are less costly options that still tick all the boxes. For example, marble countertops are undeniably gorgeous and shout luxury, but marble is not exactly kind to your bank account. Quartz countertops could give you a similar look and are very low maintenance while also being easier on your budget.
5. Indulge in a Luxury
For the finishing touches on a plan for bathroom remodeling, Colorado Springs homeowners should consider adding a little something extra that they've always wanted in a bathroom. You don't have to go absolutely crazy, but those smaller touches can really make the room feel complete. Also, making room for something that falls more under “want” than “need” will increase your satisfaction with the finished results and make you feel like it was all worth it in the end.
Need some inspiration? Here are a few Colorado Springs bathroom remodeling ideas to get you thinking about what you want:
- Radiant heating under the floor so you never have to step on ice-cold tile first thing in the morning
- Unique décor such as hanging plants or themed design elements
- Wall-mounted TV so you can watch movies in the bathtub
- Heated towel racks so your towel is always cozy and warm
- Luxurious new textiles such as towels, face clothes and bathmat
Ready for Bathroom Remodeling, Colorado Springs? Trust the Pros at Mr. Handyman to Get the Job Done!
Whether you are in Colorado Springs or a nearby community such as Fountain, Monument or Woodland Park, you can depend on the experienced team of service professionals at Mr. Handyman of Colorado Springs. We can take care of your entire bathroom remodeling project efficiently and effectively, along with dozens of other helpful Colorado Springs handyman services.Pick up the phone and give us a call today to make a service request for a convenient appointment time, or to chat with our friendly customer service representatives about what we can do to transform your home for the better. We can help with everything from home remodeling to door repair—and much more!