On average, tile is long-lasting, with glazed porcelain or ceramic lasting for 50 or more years for more delicate areas like your backlash and up to 20 years for flooring surfaces. But of course, it all depends on the type of material, quality and effort in the installation process. Although tile can be used in multiple areas, it’s typically requested for a flooring installation. Apart from the eye-catching decor tile offers, it also has protective qualities, for example, being waterproof, easier to clean of dirt and grime and does well in fluctuating temperatures. Depending on the type of material, from natural stone to marble or ceramic, routine maintenance is mandatory regardless, as tile can easily scuff if not cared for. Some repairs our expert technician can do include fixing hairline cracks, chips, loose tiles, discoloration, crumbling grout, recaulking joints, or pressure washing your surface.
Before a tile installation, Tulsa homeowners can expect our skilled technician to conduct a careful inspection of your flooring or backsplash areas, taking the appropriate measurements to calculate how much material is going to be used. Tulsa tile installations are easy to refinish in case of future repairs for broken pieces; that’s why we always recommend our customers keep an extra stash of material supply, so the pieces exactly match. Some Tulsa homeowners may want to attempt a DIY installation to save a few bucks, but we don’t recommend it as you can accidentally misalign the placement of the tiles resulting in a shoddy and wayward appearance. As for materials, you can opt for something that is made of natural or plastic material, with each type reflecting certain benefits and drawbacks. Based on your personal preferences, budget and durability, there are a handful of options available for a Tulsa tile installation:
- Natural Stone: Natural stone tile is the purest material which and comes in a wide variety, including marble, slate, granite, and limestone. We only recommend this material if you’re keen on upkeep as it’s not durable, as it's a close substitute for ceramic or porcelain. It doesn’t handle water damage as well and, if exposed, is susceptible to stains or scratches. It does however increase your home’s property value.
- Ceramic: A ceramic tile installation is the most common of all! Ceramic is made from natural clay, is compact, water-resistant, and mimics real stone, being a good dummy substitute. It’s not exactly completely authentic like the real deal, but this is made up for as it can handle fluctuating temperatures and doesn’t get as scuffed up as easily.
- Porcelain: Porcelain tile is not as dainty as it sounds. It’s more water-resistant and durable than ceramic and has the appearance of real stone. Porcelain can handle fluctuating temperatures, and just like ceramic doesn’t scratch, dent, or stuff up too readily.
- Glass tile: Glass material is common and delivers a timeless appeal. While fragile, it is extremely durable and, unlike its counterparts, non-porous. This means that it won’t stain and neither does it require any surface sealing for protection.
- Cork: This is the most water-resistant and prevents mold and mildew growth and stops any pesky termites, but it’s not a popular or commonly requested material. But its softer texture means that your dog or cat can use it as a scratching board, and it can easily dent due to dragging heavy furniture.
You’ll be surprised to know that there is a lot more to tile installation. Tulsa handyman professionals will properly seal the surface to protect the materials from moisture intrusion. Grout sealing is extremely important, so it won’t stain and deteriorate. Sealing is a process that must be repeated every three to five years unless you opt for glazed tiles which is basically a liquefied glass surface to make the system non-porous. Feel free to ask our professional tile installer for more details!
Why Mr. Handyman Is The Terrific Choice For Tulsa Tile Installation
Give your home the oomph it so desires with a Tulsa tile installation. Our experienced professionals are available around-the-clock and will show up uniformed and prompt for your service appointment. Apart from tile installation, Tulsa homeowners are best advised to check out the wide range of other services we offer, from flooring repair and installation to window repair, drywall installation, and a small bathroom remodeling project.