Home maintenance is the best thing you can do to maintain your property value and avoid surprises, and spring is the perfect time of year to get your house in shape. Take advantage of warmer temperatures and cross off your to-do list before summer comes, especially if there is damage from winter storms that could get worse.
Mr. Handyman’s spring maintenance checklist will help you stay organized as you work through necessary home maintenance chores. Click to download our free printable spring maintenance checklist. Be sure to add extra tasks to the list if you have responsibilities that are specific to your home or property.
Home Maintenance Tips for Spring
- Change HVAC air filters.
Clean and inspect window screens for damage.
- A little work now will keep unwanted pests outside your home.
Look for moisture in the basement and crawl space.
- Leaks in these spaces could turn into costly repairs.Inspect the air-conditioning system.
Trim brush around the unit and clean the coils if necessary.
- Inspect the washing machine water hoses for cracks and the dryer vent for lint buildup.
- Inspect the air ducts for buildup of mold, allergens or debris.
- Make sure your sump pump is in working order.
Inspect gutters and downspouts for damage and debris.
- Working gutters ensure that water is diverted from your home's foundation.
Trim trees and shrubs that are near the house.
- This can prevent damage to siding, windows or the roof.
Inspect caulking around doors and windows for damage or wear.
- Replace if necessary to increase energy efficiency.
Inspect wooden decks, railings, windowsills and steps for rot.
- Repair or replace damaged wood, and touch up paint, stain or wood finish.
Pressure wash patios, decks, driveway / walkways, and outdoor furniture.
- Pressure wash your soffits and siding too, if necessary.
Inspect outdoor sprinkler heads for damage from snow plows or cold weather.
- Look for leaking valves and verify the watering schedule on the control panel.
Inspect and tune up any lawn maintenance equipment.
- Sharpen tools, charge batteries, lubricate moving parts and replace old gas.
- Clean debris from foundation vents and window wells.
Routine Spring Home Maintenance
Routine home maintenance can save you the headaches of costly repairs that could be avoided. It can also help you prepare and budget for any future repairs or upgrades. Care for your home and the surrounding property, and it will continue to keep you and your family safe and comfortable. Check this list off every spring to prolong the life of your home’s building materials, landscaping, appliances and more.
Professional Home Maintenance
Head over to the Mr. Handyman blog to find more DIY tips and tricks for home maintenance. If you need help with home maintenance or expert advice, give Mr. Handyman a call. You may also request service online, and a local Mr. Handyman team member will call you to discuss your project. That way, you’ll have more time to enjoy the lovely spring weather.