When you hire your local Vancouver Mr Handyman, rest easy knowing that our exceptional handyman services are designed to improve your home’s livability, security, as well as aesthetic appeal. If in need of professional fence repairs, Vancouver, WA residents are invited to contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our local experts! Or keep on reading to learn more about our popular Vancouver fence repair service!
What Does A Vancouver Fence Repair Service Include?
Mr. Handyman takes exterior repairs very seriously. Since outdoor structures are always exposed to the elements, they inevitably require the most attention. Maintenance is often overlooked and the need for repairs isn’t always as noticeable until you hire a professional for an inspection or when damage is already done.
As a part of the Pacific Northwest, Washington State is one of the wettest states. It has an annual precipitation of 70 to 100 inches over the coastal plains and even more along the windward slopes of the mountains. Property owners are aware that having healthy exterior drainage systems is imperative, from exceptional rain gutters to outdoor pumps and stormwater runoffs. It’s easy to believe that as long as your wood fence is properly sealed and protected from water, you wouldn’t experience any issues. But there is a lot more preparation you need to do.
COMMON TYPES OF FENCES WE HANDLE:
There is a wide range of fence materials, which all have different characteristics and maintenance needs. No matter which type of structure you have in place, our Vancouver handyman team can handle it!
- Pressure Treated Wood: Pressure-treated lumber is a popular choice for homeowners because the lumber comes pre-treated with preservatives. It won’t require sealing for at least three to five years. It’s cost-effective at the hardware store and ready for installation upon purchase. Pre-treated wood is popular for decking and fencing systems because they are moisture- and rot-resistant, and naturally deter bugs. Common tree species used include pine, spruce, and fir. As long as they are well-maintained, they don’t require much fence repair. Vancouver, Washington, WA technicians recommend periodic maintenance for wood fences that includes pressure washing and resurfacing.
- Cedar Wood: Wooden fences made of cedar are just as popular and also can be cost-effective, too thanks to red cedar being a native species in Washington state. It’s natural moisture- and bug-resistant without requiring sealant. SBut sealing and regular maintenance are still recommended to maintain its shine for years to come. Cedar may also splinter more easily unless you sand the edges frequently and use wood filler to fix any gaps and holes. Our Vancouver fence repair service includes all that!
- Wrought Iron: Wrought iron may be one of the most durable materials out there, but it’s also one of the most expensive types. Plus, it’s wrong to believe that a wrought iron fence doesn’t need maintenance. Just like wood, regular cleaning can stop bacterial and mildew growth from causing early surface damage. This material is also heavy and slightly more complicated to work with. Still, it’s highly preferred by homeowners who want a more traditional look for their home.
- Chain Link: Also known as wire netting or wire mesh, chain link fences are popular for commercial and public use as they are cost-effective and highly durable. Typically, they are made of steel and have a galvanized or a low-density polyethylene coat for surface protection. We recommend that you choose a high-quality stainless steel material to ensure better resistance against corrosive agents, as well as apply a protective coating.
- Aluminum: Aluminum fences have grown popular for modern homes with unique architectural designs. Unlike wrought iron, aluminum is lightweight and versatile, providing a timeless appeal. They are most suitable as a small privacy fence to block off a section of your front or backyard, so neighbors can’t see.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is very durable and low maintenance, which are some of the main reasons homeowners opt for this material. It is available in a variety of colors and styles, and presents a very elegant look to any home or office, and is thus an increasing choice of Mr. Handyman of Vancouver customers. The surface is nonporous, so you won’t have to ever worry about moisture or water damage. Despite being made of high-quality PVC, it is still a type of plastic that could eventually suffer from weather damage, such as fading colors and even warping. Although it outlasts wood fencing, vinyl is more expensive and not recyclable; thus, not ideal for the environment. Vinyl fencing repairs may include fixing scratches and removing mold and mildew with mild power washing.
COMMON ISSUES THAT NEED FENCE REPAIR | VANCOUVER, WA
Our professional Vancouver fence repair technicians have seen it all. From fading colors to missing boards to rotted fence posts, trust Mr. Handyman to handle the following problems effectively and efficiently:
- Wood Rot: Cracks, holes, and gaps are typical surface damages that are likely caused by severe weather conditions, such as strong UV rays. Without an immediate Vancouver fence repair service, you’ll risk water intrusion that could lead to wood rot. At the core of all wood, it remains sensitive to moisture and with the right temperature and amount of oxygen, fungal growth will begin and spread.
- Missing Boards: There may be strong winds in your area, causing impact damage on your property. It’s always important to check for exterior damage after harsh weather. During a fencing installation, boards are installed with a small gap in between, allowing air to travel in between the structure. But a missing board or picket is a completely different scenario and can jeopardize your safety.
- Leaning Posts: Besides the possibility of a poorly installed unit, soil erosion is the main culprit for leaning posts. Drainage issues are common problems if homeowners don’t have working drainage systems outside their homes, such as rain gutters, downspouts, perimeter drains, and outdoor pumps. The first step to mitigating erosion is by planting vegetation, mulch, or gravel. It may take time, but it’s a highly important process. Afterward, our Vancouver fence repair technicians will check if the concrete footing holding the affected post needs to be reinforced. Sometimes new concrete needs to be poured before a post-replacement.
- Loose Fasteners: It’s normal for nails, screws, and fasteners to become loose over time, but it can also be a sign of a poorly installed structure. Our Vancouver fence repair experts will be able to determine that for you and rectify the problem.
- Sagging Fence Gate: Fence gate repairs are a common component of our professional fence repairs. Vancouver, WA residents with lockable gate doors take this extra safety measure to protect their children and pets. Sagging is an issue that might be caused by the swinging portion of the door. Or the responsible gate post is leaning due to impact or soil movement. With an effective gate repair, we’ll restore your backyard’s safety.
Though common repair needs are often due to the lack of maintenance, a broken fence could also be due to a natural disaster or a poor installation service. But to keep your kids and pets safe, our Vancouver fence repair professionals are committed to delivering exceptional service.
Why Hire Mr. Handyman for Vancouver Fence Repairs?
If you need a trusted fence contractor, you can rest assured that Mr. Handyman Difference will deliver to you all the benefits you need to restore your peace of mind. Not only are we one of North America’s most recognized franchises, but each location is locally owned and operated. This means that we are completely committed to our local communities and their needs. As locals ourselves, Mr. Handyman of Vancouver, Camas, and Ridgefield is aware of common pain points that commercial and residential property owners have. Every customer that hires our handyman service will benefit from exceptional workmanship that guarantees customer satisfaction! This is backed by our Done Right Promise® that includes a one-year labor warranty!
Our certified service professionals have all passed their background checks and drug screenings, bringing an average of ten years of experience serving as successful tradesmen. Whether you seek major or minor repairs, routine maintenance, or have a home improvement project lined up, trust our Vancouver handyman team to get the job done right the first time! We are experts in a wide range of handyman services, including new window installations, door repairs, and, of course, fence repairs. Vancouver, WA property owners are in safe hands with Mr. Handyman!
Vancouver Fence Repair FAQs
At Mr. Handyman, we understand how fence damage can raise a number of questions. You may not always be able to determine the severity of the damage or the best thing to do next. Therefore, we have collected frequently asked questions from our past customers to help new customers find the answers they need. If you don’t see your question listed or need further clarification, reach out to us today!
HOW MUCH DOES A VANCOUVER FENCE REPAIR SERVICE COST ON AVERAGE?
At Mr. Handyman, we care about providing detailed cost estimates to your clients prior to a project start. In order to be as transparent as possible, we require more information about the type of fence repair Vancouver, WA residents need. The best way to determine that is by calling us for a no-obligation inspection. We don’t typically charge hourly rates; instead, we prefer to charge by project. That said, feel free to give our customer service team a call to describe your situation, and we may be able to give you a price range.
ARE THERE IMPORTANT FENCE LAWS IN WASHINGTON STATE?
There are some local bylaws in place that may differ from city to city. But one of the most important laws in the state is that any landowner planning to build a fence must give notice to the adjoining landowner. They can also seek to be reimbursed for half of the installation service. In case you do not wish to share anything, your fence installation may take place a few feet inside your property line.
But there is more to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) in regard to a lawful fence. As far as the overall structure goes, it must be between 44” and 52” high, and posts must be less than 24 feet apart.
Two important categories to keep in mind are whether you choose fence-in or fence-out. The former refers to homeowners who have livestock, as they must make sure their animals are safely contained. The latter refers to being responsible for your property by keeping wandering animals out.
HOW DO YOU EFFECTIVELY REPAIR WROUGHT IRON?
Over time, wrought iron can suffer from severe rust buildup. During a fence repair, in Vancouver, WA service professionals will use a wire brush, sandpaper, and acetone solvents to get rid of the rust. But depending on the severity of the damage, sandblasting may be more effective and quicker. If rust holes are evident, using rust fillers is your best option. Our Vancouver handyman team will also use rust-resistant primer and enamel spray to prepare the surface for painting.
DOES VANCOUVER FENCE REPAIR INCLUDE RESURFACING?
It certainly can, depending on the type of repair it needs. For that reason, we also offer a no-obligation inspection first to check for the damage you described, as well as determine the underlying cause of the issue. In most cases, it turns out that the lack of maintenance is the culprit. So after the initial Vancouver fence repair service, we typically help resurface your pre-treated or cedar fence system, so you get a repair and maintenance service in one session.
Restore Your Home’s Security and Curb Appeal With Effective Fence Repair, Vancouver, WA!
When in need of a reliable fencing contractor for a repair service, depend on the local pros at Mr. Handyman of Vancouver, Camas, and Ridgefield. Whether you live in Vancouver or a surrounding area, we are proud to make a difference in our local community. Give our friendly and knowledgeable customer service staff a call today to book your appointment!