Whether you’re inside or outside, your front door provides both functional and aesthetic values. It serves as the gate to your home, designed to protect you from the elements, intruders, and many other things you don’t always think about. When property owners want to improve their home’s energy efficiency, they have many areas to consider. From various system upgrades to insulation replacement, there is also one small thing that will make a huge difference—a front door replacement. Columbia, MD properties have a wide range of front door types, from wood to steel to fiberglass. There are also many reasons why it may be time for an upgrade rather than a simple door repair service that may not bring you long-term results.
Your local Columbia handyman has completed multiple successful front door replacements. Columbia, MD, has a very distinct climate that includes cold, snowy winters and humid summers. Keeping the elements effectively out of your house starts by having a decent entryway. When hiring Mr. Handyman of Greater Columbia and Eldersburg, you can rest assured that your Columbia exterior door replacement service is done efficiently and effectively.
We invite you to reach out to our knowledgeable customer service team today! Schedule an inspection appointment today or learn more about our popular front door replacements in Columbia, MD. You and your family deserve improved comfort and security at all times!
About Our Services on Front Door Replacements in Columbia, MD
At Mr. Handyman, we care that you have high-quality systems that back your home’s energy efficiency. One specific area we’d love to help you with is your entryway. Your front door goes through a lot of use, and it is supposed to last you for at least two decades. Meanwhile, it receives regular maintenance and the occasional repair service to remain in good condition. But if your energy bill begins to skyrocket, or you suddenly hear exterior noise clearly through your thick wooden door, it may be time for a front door replacement. Columbia, MD technicians at Mr. Handyman will always carry out a detailed inspection and share with you their diagnosis, as well as what they believe would be the best course of action.
While you want your wood or steel door to be energy efficient, you can also opt for an aesthetically pleasing upgrade to boost your property’s curb appeal. The team at Mr. Handyman can help you find a wide selection of materials and color options to complement your home.
When deciding to go ahead with a front door replacement, Columbia, MD homeowners can rest assured that we’ll guide them through every step of the process.
What A Front Door Replacement in Columbia, MD Includes:
First, our Columbia handyman helps you pick your desired upgrade so you are 100% certain of what you want as an entry door replacement. It may be something aesthetically more pleasing or of high quality and low maintenance. If you have had a good experience with your current unit and want the type again, we can perfectly do so as well. The proper installation process will depend on the type of door you have in place. For example, if you currently have a prehung door that came with an existing frame, but you want to upgrade to a slab door, the entire prehung system is best replaced with brand-new framing. Generally, wood frames—both inside and outside—should be replaced too during a front door replacement. Columbia, MD service professionals will have the opportunity to re-secure any air sealing or weatherproofing needs while replacing the frames.
If your current wood door was a custom cut, we’d be happy to take its measurements and complete the same kind of cut for your replacement unit.
It ultimately depends on the types of doors you choose for your home’s front and back. A slab unit is a structure by itself with a pre-cut hole for the door knob. It doesn’t include the frame and other accessories like hinges and fasteners, but a prehung system does. This means that a prehung typically comes premade, and all that needs to be done is install an efficient handle and lock. On the other hand, a slab system requires additional handiwork that includes measuring, cutting, drilling, and sealing or staining the structure before installation. Furthermore, the corresponding frame must be prepared, which includes installing the hinges and affixing the strike plate to the doorjamb.
If this sounds like it involves way too many steps, don’t fret! Your expert handyman has a meticulous eye for detail and also brings proven finish carpentry skills! When it’s time for a front door replacement, Columbia, MD homeowners are invited to give us a call for a flawless door installation service!
Why Hire Mr. Handyman For Front Door Replacement in Columbia, MD
Mr. Handyman of Greater Columbia and Eldersburg is 20 years old and one of the early franchises that opened to serve its local community. We are a locally owned and operated family business that is proud to be a part of Neighborly’s top-rated home service providers in North America. Every team member has passed their background checks and brings an average tradesman’s experience of ten to 20 years. Whether you seek residential or commercial property maintenance and repairs, our local pros will get it done in a heartbeat! We pride ourselves on our high level of professionalism and efficiency. Every service we provide is covered by guaranteed workmanship, which means you get a one-year labor warranty. But the magic lies in our superior customer service, during which we’ll go above and beyond to exceed your expectations. And that is because we treat each property as if it were our own. Your comfort and safety are our top priorities. Whether you’re in Columbia or surrounding areas, including Clarksville, Ellicott City, or Dayton, trust our local experts for excellent service!
Columbia Exterior Door Installation FAQs
What Are The Warning Signs I Need An Entry Door Installation?
Columbia, MD, homes that have high-performing systems that contribute to energy efficiency and comfort are ideal for livability. And when that comfort is compromised by cold drafts, air leaks, and other nuisances, it’s important to start investigating. Perhaps you suddenly see a gap between the main structure and the frame, or the threshold is severely scratched due to a misalignment. But haven’t you just recently had it repaired? Recurring repairs indicate underlying issues that you can’t run away from. Also, if your existing entryway is already 20 years old, you’ll definitely get a better return on investment with a front door replacement. Columbia, MD technicians at Mr. Handyman are happy to help out!
What Doors Can Be Replaced and Fixed?
Our professional door installers offer a wide variety of styles for door-related repair, replacement, and installation services. We can handle various types of doors, including:
- Sliding Glass Doors: Sliding glass doors leading to patios or decks can benefit from maintenance and repairs. This may involve fixing the sliding mechanism, ensuring proper sealing to prevent drafts and water leaks, or replacing damaged glass.
- French Doors: French doors or double doors, with their elegant design, are another specialty for us. They can repair or replace components like hinges, handles, and locking systems to ensure they operate smoothly and securely.
- Bifold Doors: Bi-fold doors, often used for closets or room dividers, can experience issues with alignment and operation. Mr. Handyman can address these problems and ensure they function correctly.
- Storm Doors: Storm doors provide an extra layer of protection against the elements. Our pros can repair or replace storm doors, ensuring they are secure and efficient in maintaining insulation and preventing drafts.
- Screen Doors: Screen doors may require maintenance to replace torn screens or fix issues with the frame, hinges, or handle. We can help keep your screen doors in good condition.
- Custom Doors: In some cases, homeowners may want to install custom doors for specific spaces or design preferences. We can work with you to install and customize doors to meet your unique needs.
- Door Hardware: Mr. Handyman can also handle various door hardware-related tasks, such as installing new locks, deadbolts, handles, and knobs. We can ensure that doors are secure and function smoothly.
- Storm Doors: Storm doors provide an extra layer of protection against harsh weather conditions. Our experts can repair or replace storm doors, ensuring they are properly sealed, functional, and energy-efficient. We can also address issues with the frame, glass, screens, and hardware.
- Pre-Hung Doors: Pre-hung doors are complete door units that include the door slab, frame (jamb), hinges, and often, the hardware. Our handymen can install pre-hung doors with precision, ensuring a proper fit and alignment within your home. This includes interior pre-hung doors for bedrooms, bathrooms, and closets, as well as exterior pre-hung doors for entryways and patio access.
- Pocket Doors: Pocket doors slide into a recessed wall cavity rather than swinging open. These doors are space-saving and can be an excellent choice for tight areas. Our specialists can repair or replace pocket door hardware, tracks, and rollers to ensure smooth operation.
- Dutch Doors: Dutch doors, split horizontally into two halves, offer versatility and charm. We can assist with Dutch door installation and hardware adjustments to ensure both the upper and lower halves function properly.
- Fire Doors: Fire-rated doors are designed to slow the spread of fire and smoke in the event of a fire emergency. Our experts can install, repair, or maintain fire doors to meet safety codes and regulations.
- Barn Doors: Barn doors have become a popular design choice for interior spaces. We can install barn door hardware and tracks to create a stylish and functional sliding door system.
- Patio Doors: Patio doors, such as sliding glass doors or French doors leading to outdoor spaces, can experience issues with operation, weatherstripping, or security. Our pros can address these concerns and ensure your patio doors function optimally.
- Screened Porch Doors: Screened porch doors are essential for enjoying outdoor spaces while keeping pests out. We can repair or replace screens, frames, and hardware on screened porch doors to maintain comfort and functionality.
- Accordion Doors: Accordion doors are space-saving and often used for dividing rooms. Our teams of professionals can repair or replace accordion door tracks, hinges, and panels to keep them functioning smoothly.
How Do I Decide Between Wood and Steel For My Door Replacement?
Columbia, MD property owners may be after a system that provides enough durability and weather resistance. It doesn’t have to be made of real wood like American cherry mahogany to effectively protect your home. Or perhaps you want to move away entirely from wooden materials because they require too much maintenance and frequent repairs. That said, effective steel entry doors are not maintenance-free either. They have protective coatings that will wear off over time, leading to rust on the surface. Wood and steel are highly efficient but require periodic maintenance to stay in good condition. All types of wood need to be sanded and resealed every two to three years, whereas steel should be repainted every three to five years. Our recommendation is to go ahead with whichever material you feel partial to but keep in mind the type of maintenance it needs.
Which Columbia Exterior Door Replacement is Currently Popular?
Fiberglass and premium-grade aluminum doors are currently popular. Modern homes with unique architectural designs often have multiple aluminum structures. However, they have a high price tag due to high material costs. But you can’t go wrong with fiberglass doors which are designed to be weather-resistant and suitable for all types of climates. The exterior is made of a blend of wood fiber and synthetic components, whereas the core consists of polyurethane foam that provides exceptional insulating qualities. Feel free to call and ask about other high-end doors that we install besides fiberglass entry doors. There is also a wide range of high-quality, budget-friendly options.
Should I Get A Front Door Replacement With a Window?
It is entirely up to you! Some homeowners prefer to let in natural light that brightens up the doorway. Another option is to install sidelites (or sidelights), which are narrow vertical windows on either side of the front entrance. They are independent of the main structure. So is a transom window that typically sits above the front door. These are highly energy-efficient windows with double glass panes. Regardless of the style, doors with glass panels or additional glass options are popular among homeowners for their complete installation project.