Whether you’re cooking, entertaining, or hanging out, people always seem to gather in the kitchen. Why not give this much-used room a makeover?
Remodeling a kitchen not only is a great way to give you more space in a popular and well-loved room of your home, but also provides a return on your investment.
Mr. Handyman® has created this kitchen remodel checklist to help you make a plan and a budget for your newly designed space.
Kitchen Remodel Tips
Remodeling a kitchen results in a different structure or style. This might be something as simple as a fresh coat of paint on the walls and cabinets for a new look, or a complete transformation with new cabinets, flooring, appliances, and more. Whether you decide to keep it simple or knock down a wall or two, a solid plan that follows a kitchen remodeling checklist will help you avoid surprising setbacks, costly mistakes, and other roadblocks that could knock your project off your schedule and budget.
The first thing you’ll want to do when remodeling a kitchen is to make a list of what bothers you the most about this space and come up with a plan on how to correct these flaws.
Do you need more storage? Find a way to add more cabinets. Tired of your kids (or grandkids) slamming the cabinets shut? Put soft-close hinges on your list of “must-haves.” Whatever it is, planning for it now will save you time, money, and energy down the road.
Kitchen Remodeling Checklist
Now that you’ve decided to remodel your kitchen, here is our kitchen renovation checklist containing a number of questions to ask yourself to get started.
- Set a list of priorities and expectations
- What’s your big-picture goal: More space? Better design? New appliances?
- When do you want the project to be finished?
Set a budget
- Do you want all new appliances and additional square footage, or just painted cabinets and a new fridge? Make those decisions now before you start remodeling. Don’t forget to budget for the little details that could add up to be a big expense, such as knobs on the new kitchen cabinets or dividers for new drawers.
Choose a color palette or design style
- Choose colors and materials that are cohesive with the design of the rest of the house.
Source your materials, appliances, and permits
- Check into your local government’s requirements for what permits you’ll need - a professional handyman can assist with this.
- Look into alternative, eco-friendly building materials and energy-efficient appliances, which might come with rebates.
- Determine the dimensions of any new appliance and whether it will fit before you purchase to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Check shipping periods to make sure you can get all the materials in time.
- Line up a contractor. Always plan for more time than you think it will take.
- Will the remodel require enough tear-out that you’ll need to seal off other rooms from dust or noise?
- Where will you cook your meals and eat during the remodel?
- Can you reuse the old hood vent pipe?
- Does the new oven use the same energy source?
- Will you need to reroute gas lines?
- Can the existing wiring be used?
- Will the new oven or fridge fit through the doorways?
- Do you have space in the garage or home to store materials and appliances until they’re installed?
Create a timeline
- Make a list that follows a logical timeline. Don’t order or replace cabinets until you know the dimensions of your new appliances.
- Think outside the box for a unique look: tile floor, glass pane cabinets, chalkboard paint walls, and more.
Costs to Consider When Remodeling a Kitchen
Use the kitchen renovation checklist below to help you set a budget for your project. You may even find some inspiration for your new kitchen.
- Cabinets $_____
- Cabinet hardware $____
- Sink $_____
- Floor $_____
- Appliances $_____
- Faucet $_____
- Cabinet knobs $_____
- Backsplash $_____
- Drywall and cement board $_____
- Light fixtures $_____
- Paint and primer $____
- Exhaust fan $_____
- Countertops $_____
- Inspection/permit costs $____
- Fixtures/furniture/decorations $_____
Some of the items above require different installation adhesives or materials. Speak to the employees at your local hardware store or call your local Mr. Handyman before purchasing some of the following materials.
- Tile adhesive $_____
- Drywall installation materials $_____
- Caulk $_____
- Ceiling texture $_____
- Window and door trim $_____
- Plumbing fittings $_____
Luxury Kitchen Additions & Costs
As you work through your kitchen renovation checklist, consider whether you want to upgrade some features and fixtures. There are so many special options you could add to make your kitchen more luxurious. Here are just a few ideas.
- Soft-close hinges $____
- Smart appliances $____
- More space $____
- Dimmer switches $____
- High-end building materials $____
- Touch on/off faucet $____
- Kitchen island $____
- Walk-in pantry $____
- Trash compactor $____
- Custom cabinets $____
Total $ _____
Call Mr. Handyman When You’re Remodeling a Kitchen
When it comes to remodeling a kitchen, the opportunities are endless. With so many types of appliances, designs, paint colors, and materials, making decisions is overwhelming as you don’t want to make costly mistakes. Combine that with the logistics of doing the work yourself, and remodeling a kitchen becomes a difficult full-time job.
Let our experienced and trusted home renovation experts take care of all of the work! We’ll safely and professionally perform all the necessary tear-out, installation, and painting so you have time to shop for new appliances and cabinets. Request your kitchen remodel service online today! One of our friendly and knowledgeable professionals will be happy to walk you through our kitchen renovation checklist as you plan out the kitchen of your dreams!