What are some practical home maintenance tips?
5 Things Mr. Handyman Wants You To Know About Home Maintenance
A little bit of regular home maintenance will go a long way in keeping your house and yard in good shape, and helping it remain that way for a long time. Homeowners should create and follow a customized checklist for inspecting parts of and items around their home during each season. When issues are discovered, Mr. Handyman of Wheaton-Hinsdale can help you get everything taken care of. Here are 5 things Mr. Handyman wants you to know:
1. Walk the perimeter of your home at least twice a year to check for anything that is out of place. Homeowners should look for wood rot, loose gutters, damage to siding on the home, missing shingles, and items of that nature.
2. Walk around your entire yard at least twice a year, checking for anything unusual. Holes in planting beds can indicate the presence of pests. Tug on each fence post and deck railing post to make sure they're solid. Make sure downspouts have a clear path for water to follow so it doesn't accumulate close to your home's foundation.
3. Check all ceilings in the home for water stains or other types of damage. Even if you only see a tiny spot, it's better to determine and correct the problem sooner rather than later. Problems don't correct themselves, they only get worse over time. While you're checking the ceilings, change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
4. Your furnace and humidifier should be inspected each year, and the filters should be changed at least once every three months. Clean filters will improve the indoor air quality in your home, and will help keep your heating and cooling costs down.
5. Switch your electric light bulbs to LED bulbs. Not only will the bulbs last much longer, they will reduce your electric bill. For more tips regarding home maintenance, please contact:
Mr. Handyman of Wheaton-Hinsdale
245 W. Roosevelt Road #69
West Chicago, IL