Your bathroom is a place of calm, peace, and escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. A hot bubble bath should put you in a meditative state, and your vanity mirror should reflect exactly how you see your beautiful self. But if your bathroom isn’t doing any of that for you, it’s time for a long-awaited change, whether you want a spacious master bath or need to renovate your children’s bathroom. After all, we start and end our days there, so getting exactly what you need out of that area with a professional Manassas bathroom remodel is never a bad idea.
From waking up in the morning, washing your face, carefully styling your hair, to taking a hot shower or bubble bath, your bathroom helps you unwind, get ready, and get clean. Sometimes, you buy a house with your dream bathroom already designed. However, more often than not, creating the bathroom of your dreams means investing in a Manassas bathroom remodel and choosing the right Manassas handyman.
Bathroom remodeling in Manassas can be both time and cost consuming. Yet, after the renovation ends, the resulting relaxation and decadence of your new walk-in shower, flooring system, or vanity mirror will be totally worth it. To help you stay focused on your Manassas bathroom remodeling plans, we’ve created a useful list of 10 tips. Read on to learn more about establishing a budget, creating a plan, and what your local pros at Mr. Handyman of Northern Virginia - Arlington to Haymarket can do to help make your dream bathroom a reality.
1. Establish Your Remodeling Budget
If you don’t have a solid budget for remodeling your bathroom, you won’t have the upper hand in executing the renovation you have in mind. When planning your remodel, it’s crucial that you set a budget that makes sense to you. Start by conducting research to understand what your budget range might be as a lot can change during the research stage. Start by looking at:
Cost of Labor for a Manassas Bathroom Remodel
During your Manassas bathroom remodel, you will probably invest in labor costs the most. Do your research and get estimates from a few different contractors or companies before settling on who will conduct your renovation. Not only will this give you a rough estimate of your project’s overall cost, but you’ll be able to plan for how long your bathroom space will be out of order—but it will also give you a chance to feel out a few different contracting options.
Choose a contracting company that’s transparent and offers pricing upfront. They should have numerous positive reviews, showing a high level of professionalism. For instance, a uniformed contracting company that uses company vehicles and tools is generally a safer bet than a technician who shows up in a beat-up truck and jeans. Mr. Handyman of Manassas is one such professional, knowledgeable, and skillful company.
Manassas Bathroom Remodel: Feature and Material Costs
To a lesser degree, what you spend on new materials will also impact your overall budget. It’s worth taking the time to research how much your dream marble vanity costs, or whether ceramic, porcelain or glass tiles better adhere to your budget. If your remodel includes a bathtub, shower, or toilet upgrade, you’ll have to keep in mind that these features may not only add to your material costs, but also labor, if you consider removal and new installations.
Looking to install an in-wall hidden tank toilet? Then, expect a costlier and more time-consuming installation process. The same applies to installing a bathtub in a different location where it may not even be possible to easily reroute your supply and waste lines.
Additional Budgeting Factors to Keep in Mind
Knowing that the majority of your Manassas bathroom remodeling costs go towards labor and material, there’s more you should ask yourself in terms of financial investment:
- Do you plan to sell your home in the near future?
- Do you need to change the location of plumbed-in items?
- How important is the installation of luxury features?
- Which areas of the room are absolutely essential?
- How much are you willing or able to invest?
- Every remodeling project requires a cushion for emergency or unforeseen expenses. Are you able to put away at least 10 percent?
2. Pick Which Type You’d Like
We agree it’s overwhelming to look at all those different styles of bathrooms. While it’s unlikely you’ll be converting the type of room—although not uncommon for homeowners to convert a basement powder room into a standard bath for guests—it might be a great idea to visit showrooms to get an overall feel, and determine what you want to achieve with your Manassas bathroom remodel.
You may refer to it as a full bath. The typical standard bathroom will have at least one sink, toilet and bath or shower (shower-bath). Depending on when your home was built, you may have one standard bathroom shared with the whole family, or you may have a few full baths: the master bathroom and one for guests. Standard bathrooms are typically located on any floor of your house, including the basement.
Half Bath or Powder Room
Half bath and powder room are often used interchangeably, whereas powder room may sound more elegant for the ladies. Besides the toilet and sink, there’s usually a large mirror with fancy toiletries on the countertop for you to freshen up. It’s a significantly smaller room with no bath or shower because it’s meant for guests. Half baths are mostly located on the main floor near entryways or communal areas. Investing in a powder room can increase your home’s resale value because who wouldn’t like an additional toilet for convenience? This way, you always have a bathroom for dinner guests to use without having to be in your personal bathroom.
Depending on its style, a wet bath may not be for everyone. Imagine there’s no separation between your shower and the rest of your bathroom. This type of shower is not a secluded space with a curtain; rather, it’s an open space. A well-installed wet bath is thoroughly waterproofed, from flooring to walls. Wet baths make bathrooms appear more spacious and sleek, enabling an easy clean. However, it’s not ideal for children unless you apply more slip-resistant solutions.
An ensuite bathroom is practically a master bedroom because it’s solely designed for the room’s occupants. It’s a full bath with mostly shower features, but may also have a bathtub.
3. Choose Your Layout
This part will determine how much elbow grease is needed! Our Manassas bathroom remodeling experts urge you to choose a layout that works for you and your family if the current one does not serve your needs.
If you’re converting a half-bath to a full-bath, or are upgrading your shower and base cabinets, think about how you want the finished layout to look. It’s important to consider the positions of your fixtures and how any new or altered features may relate to them. Having a detailed floor plan that you and your Manassas bathroom remodeling technician approve is crucial before moving forward.
Lastly, consider vanities and storage. Do you need one or two sinks? Will they be on a countertop, and do you want drawers or a medicine cabinet? Do you need a storage closet or shelving for things like toiletries and linens?
5. Pick the Right Materials
Every bathroom receives a lot of traffic and use—so you should consider what materials you choose. Understandably, you’ll want it to look clean, bright, and attractive.
Your bathroom is an area of your home that you will want to put money in using quality materials. Beware of low-quality materials that won’t last in high moisture environments, such as:
- Particle board cabinets
- MDF trim
- Fiberglass or acrylic tubs and sinks
- Plastic fixtures
- Low-quality cement tile
Of course, certain high-quality materials like hardwood should not go into bathrooms either, and you should focus on moisture-resistant materials. Cement is commonly used but is high-maintenance because it’s highly porous and requires frequent resealing and regrouting. Invest in decent materials that will serve their purpose and last for many years to come.
- Porcelain tiles
- Porcelain sinks
- Porcelain tubs
- Quality MDF, solid wood or plywood cabinets
- Brass fixtures
6. Bathtub Vs. No Bathtub
One of the big questions during a Manassas bathroom remodel is to weigh out the pros and cons of a bathtub. For example, some Manassas residents enjoy a hot bath after a busy day. That said, many Americans value speed and ease and prefer using a shower instead of a bath.
We say, think about your needs. Perhaps you’re a senior and getting out of the bathtub has become difficult? Let our experts install a shower with a seated bench and a grab bar for you.
Alternatively, if you have toddlers, having a bathtub-shower hybrid might be your best option.
7. Consider Ventilation
Proper ventilation is essential for ensuring the area does not become damaged because of too much humidity or dampness. Typically, you can choose from two varieties of ventilation:
Windows and Window Vents
In some bathrooms, the window will be able to open. Opening up your window while taking a shower helps mitigate the humidity in your space. Some windows also have window vents, which always remain open to release humidity outdoors.
These are the most reliable means of venting out humid shower air from your bathroom and should be on every Manassas bathroom remodel checklist. There are a few different exhaust fans to choose from:
- Ceiling-mounted exhaust fans: This fan is excellent for bathrooms on the upper levels. Since warm air rises, the fan should be installed on the ceiling, so any stale air is directed out from the fan through the ceiling.
- Wall-mounted exhaust fans: This type of vent installation occurs on the wall outside your house and works best if you’re running short of time during a Manassas bathroom remodel.
- Exterior exhaust fans: Similar to wall-mounted types, these ventilators push stale air outside and are less noisy from the interior.
- Inline exhaust fans: Inlines are good for bathrooms that have difficulty with fan installations, because they are mounted in between the ducting. This means that they blow out stale air into your home’s ducts.
- Exhaust fans with lights: These fans expel stale air and also act as lighting fixtures.
8. Think About Your Lighting Options
Speaking of lighting, your light system is a key element of the room's overall comfort and aesthetic. For most bathrooms, choose from two different lighting options: natural vs. artificial.
If you have the option for natural lighting from windows or skylights, experienced remodelers would recommend installing mirrors opposite of the natural light that comes through the window.
In regard to artificial lighting in your bathroom, consider:
- Ceiling lighting
- Dimmer wall switches
- Vanity lighting
Ask yourself what level of warmth your new light should emit. Do you want cool tones or warm tones? Bright or not too bright? How about bright for applying makeup and softer lighting during a nice bath?
9. Get Luxury Features
If your bathroom is your safe space where you like to unwind after busy days, consider some luxurious features to implement into your next bathroom remodeling project.
How nice would a heated floor be during a chilly Virginia winter night? Heated floors are considered one of the most energy-efficient ways of heating your home and could save you over 20 percent on your heating bills.
Heated Towel Rack
Tired of the humid weather that doesn’t dry your towels? Heated towel racks offer a similar comfort and convenience as heated floors. Dry yourself up comfortably!
Many of your bathroom’s fixtures can be wall-mounted to create a sleek, modern look and open up floor space. For example, you can mount your toilets, cabinets, and washbasins on the wall. Not only will this aesthetic create a more open room, but it will also enable you to add extra storage or make the most of a smaller space.
10. Think About The Future
As you begin your Manassas bathroom remodeling project, remember that the renovation is designed to enhance your living environment and add value to your property in the event of a resale. Ask yourself how the future homeowner will like your space as you are remodeling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have some questions about renovating your bathroom? It's quite a big project, so it'd be natural if you have questions or concerns. To help answer these questions, we've addressed a few below. Continue reading to see if we answer your query here. If not, or if you'd prefer to speak to a person, you're always welcome to chat with one of our friendly customer service representatives. We love taking time to speak with our valued clients and helping with their home improvement needs.
Do I Need a Manassas Bathroom Remodel?
That is up to you! If the space no longer suits your needs, is difficult to navigate, or is simply no longer your personal style, then it could be time for an update. There are many reasons why Manassas homeowners may choose to update their bathrooms, including the following:
- You've decided to age in place. If you're aging in place, or have an elderly relative who is planning to move in with you, then chances are you need to update the bathroom. There are a wide range of changes that need to be made to better accommodate an elderly person with mobility challenges. For instance, walk-in showers, handrails and raised toilet seats can make a world of difference and improve the room's overall safety. A fall can be truly devastating for someone of advanced age.
- Your children have moved out. Are you recently an empty nester? Then you might be interested in converting what was the kid's bathroom into a space more befitting an adult-only residence. For example, you may want to swap your child-like decor and amenities that haven't changed since your kids were small for more grown-up alternatives. Or, perhaps you'd like to convert the room into a guest bathroom.
- The space is old, dingy and outdated. One of the most common reasons why Manassas homeowners choose to renovate is to update the bathroom design. Whether you moved into a fixer-upper or you've been in your home for many years and it's time for a change, updating your space can improve both your personal enjoyment of the room and also increase your property's resale value.
How Much Does it Cost?
Manassas bathroom remodeling costs can vary significantly depending on how much work you are intending to get done, which is why it's always best to speak with a qualified technician and obtain a quote regarding what your plans may cost. As we mentioned earlier, labor and materials tend to be the biggest expenses during any renovation. This is influenced by how long the process will take, and what kind of work you need done. For example, swapping out your vanity for a double vanity or changing out the faucets is a much more straightforward task than re-doing the bathtub, adding a shower or updating the toilet. Anytime you need plumbing or electrical work done, you can expect the cost to be higher because this requires more contractors and more invasive work in your home.
Can I Just Update the Shower?
Of course! You can absolutely invest in a shower remodel if you don't want to update the entire space. There are many benefits of updating the shower area, including improving your Manassas home's resale value, boosting your personal enjoyment of the space, making the space more safe and accessible, and more. If you're planning to update the shower, keep the following tips in mind:
- Consider your needs when deciding what changes you want to make.
- Add storage space in the shower, so you have ample room for toiletries.
- Upgrade your grout and tile to make the area really pop.
- Maximize natural light as much as possible. This will help the space feel less dark and dingy.
- Convert your old bathtub to a walk-in shower, especially if you're planning to sell. Most prospective homeowners prefer showers to baths.
- Add a seat or bench in the shower. This is great for relaxing, and also for improving the area's safety.
- Opt for glass doors instead of curtains. Glass doors create more light, and are much more desirable to prospective home buyers than plastic curtains.
- Don't forget the faucets and shower heads. Perhaps you could choose an energy efficient shower head to reduce your energy costs.
- Add or replace caulk. Usually, caulk needs to be replaced every five years. Without regular professional caulking service, water may leak into your drywall and cause damage.
What are the Benefits of a Manassas Bathroom Remodel?
Along with making it more beautiful and functional, there are many benefits of updating your space, including:
- Increasing the value of your home. Bathroom remodels are one of the best ways to increase your home's resale value—especially if you're planning to sell in the next 5 to 10 years.
- Correct problems that bother you. Don't find you have enough storage? Or perhaps the space's layout is not working for you? You can fix that during a renovation.
- Add more space. If you feel like you hardly have any room to move around in your space, then increase its volume with a renovation.
- Improve energy efficiency. There are many ways you can make your bathroom more energy efficient, such as changing the shower head, light fixtures and toilet. These changes will help you save money on your energy bill and decrease your carbon footprint.
- Make the space more luxurious and modern. Your bathroom should be a room you enjoy being in. If that's not the case, a few changes can transform your drab, dreary room into a spa-like oasis.
How Do You Stay On Track During a Bathroom Remodel in Manassas, VA?
When renovating any part of your house, there are a number of pitfalls that should be avoided—otherwise the entire project can get completely derailed. This is true for your bathroom renovation as well. To help keep you on-track, keep the following in mind:
- Always start any home remodeling project with a plan in mind.
- Choose the right option, not necessarily the most costly.
- Remember that ventilation is essential.
- Pick a reliable kind of flooring.
- Hire the right experts for the job.
- Stick to your budget, and plan for additional expenses.
Get Started on Your Manassas Bathroom Remodel Today!
Are you ready to start your Manassas bathroom remodel? Once you’ve used our helpful tips to map out your renovation, be sure to give our expert Manassas handymen a call at (703) 621-4811.
Whether you live in Manassas, Bull Run, Gainesville or another nearby area, our skillful and expert technicians will be able to provide every bathroom remodeling service you need—and we can even help with other projects like kitchen remodeling. From updating your cabinetry for a kitchen remodel to a complete bathroom overhaul, we can get the job done right.