About Our Skilled Knoxville Deck Repair Services
When their property is due, or possibly long overdue, for deck repair, Knoxville, TN homeowners can always count on top-quality workmanship and outstanding customer service from the team of experts at Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville. We'll get to your property at the scheduled time and start by completing an inspection and thorough assessment of the damage. We'll then explain our recommendation for the best way to get it resolved, and with your go-ahead, we'll get started on the work.
When it comes to the approach necessary for deck repair, in Knoxville, TN residents will find that it can vary quite a bit depending on the nature of the issue. Here's how we typically deal with common Knoxville deck repair problems:
- Soft, Crumbly Wood: Decks are notoriously susceptible to wood rot, with good reason—wood rot only affects timber with a high moisture content, and decks are outside constantly being exposed to water. The best solution for this problem is usually to remove the rotted boards and replace them with new, pressure-treated wood, then seal it to lock out further water damage.
- Creaky or Sagging Steps: Steps take a lot of abuse over the years, and eventually problems like creaking or sagging in the middle of a tread occur. A sagging tread needs to be replaced, but the damage isn't likely affecting risers or other parts of your steps. Creaking, on the other hand, is often a sign of a gap between a tread and riser, and can typically be corrected by properly securing your tread with new nails.
- Wobbly Railings: A weakened railing is a big safety hazard because even if your structure doesn't rise very far off the ground, if someone leans against your railing expecting it to support their weight and it doesn't, they're in for a nasty fall. When handling this issue with deck repair, Knoxville, TN handymen can sometimes simply secure your railing where it has come loose. But if the damage is due to wood rot, your railing or parts of it will likely need to be replaced.
- Cracked or Loose Deck Boards: Broken boards with deep cracks definitely call for replacement, but if a board has a few minor surface cracks, sometimes the best Knoxville deck repair solution is simply to pry up the board, flip it over, and nail it back down. The same applies to loose boards—sometimes they just need to be secured to the deck rafters properly.
- Paint is Peeling: If you notice the paint is lifting, bubbling, cracking, and peeling away in strips or chunks, that's a sure sign of imminent water damage. It happens because water gets into wood and causes it to swell, which makes paint loosen and strip off. We'll remove the remnants of the old paint with pressure washing, then refinish the surface and seal it to prevent moisture from getting in again.
Choose Mr. Handyman for Expert Deck Repair, Knoxville TN
You've made the call—it's time to invest in deck repair. Knoxville, TN residents only need to make one call to reach an entire team of qualified deck repair experts at Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville. Along with finish carpentry services such as deck installation and repair, we also offer a wide range of other repairs, improvement, installation, and maintenance services such as caulking, drywall installation, door installation, chimney repair, pressure washing, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions About Deck Repair
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR DECK WOOD IS ROTTING?
We all know what wood looks like when it's in an advanced state of decay, but by that point, it's pretty much too late to do anything other than replace the structure. If you know more about what it looks like and how to find it in the earlier stages, you can get the help you need to stop it in its tracks from a handyman who is well-versed in deck repair. Knoxville, TN homeowners who are on the lookout for wood rot should examine the entire structure once or twice per year, looking for indications of decay such as:
- Patches of wood that are lighter or darker than the rest of the material
- Discolored patches with a purple, yellow, or white hue
- Wood crumbling into "sawdust" or breaking into cube-shaped chunks
- Spongy or stringy-looking patches
If you spot one of the above signs, grab a screwdriver and press it against the suspicious area. If it sinks in at all, you are definitely dealing with a case of wood rot that should be corrected as soon as possible with the right strategy for deck repair. Knoxville, TN residents can count on our team to not only remove rot but completely eliminate it so it doesn't just come back again in a week or two.
DO I NEED A PERMIT FOR KNOXVILLE DECK REPAIR?
Most cities and towns have municipal regulations for projects like construction and deck repair. Knoxville, TN is, of course, no different. But whether permits are required or not really depends on the scope of the project. If you just need a few loose boards nailed down, there's no need to acquire a permit. But if the repair work involves something like replacing a railing, for example, a permit will probably be required so the city can ensure the replacement meets their standards for safety and appropriate materials.
That being said, permits aren't something you need to concern yourself with when you're on the job. We have completed many home improvement projects in Knoxville and nearby service areas, so we know which jobs require permits and will obtain them ourselves, quickly and efficiently. That way, you don't have to worry about filling out the paperwork or researching to figure out which permits are necessary.
WHAT CAUSES A DECK TO SAG ON ONE SIDE?
If you notice your structure is sagging downward noticeably on one side (or in the middle), that's a serious problem that indicates there's something wrong with the supporting posts. It could be that a post has broken underground and isn't able to properly hold the structure's weight anymore, or that soil has eroded from underneath the footing, causing it to sink further into the ground. It could also be that the concrete deck footings have crumbled apart and aren't giving the posts the support they need. Regardless of what's happening, it's a dangerous problem that could lead to a collapse. The best course of action is to keep everyone off the structure until it's been inspected by a qualified professional.
HOW CAN I PREVENT DAMAGE TO MY DECK IN THE FUTURE?
As you may have gathered by now, a lot of the damage that ends up requiring deck restoration is caused by excessive water. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that avoiding damage means keeping water away. That's not an easy task when we're talking about a large, outdoor structure, but there are some things you can do that will help keep your structure in good shape for longer, including:
- Check regularly for signs that the sealant is wearing off, and have it sealed every three to five years or so
- Avoid rugs and mats, but if you need to have them, choose plastic ones that don't hold on to water the way natural fibers do
- Move flower planters, furniture, and other items around once in a while so water doesn't get trapped underneath
- Consider calling your handyman for annual pressure washing to remove built-up grime, dirt, bacteria, algae, mildew, and other harmful substances
Does Your Property Need Deck Repair? Knoxville, TN Can Rely On Mr. Handyman
If you live in Knoxville or a nearby part of Tennessee such as Oak Ridge
, Alcoa, or Hardin Valley, the experienced team at Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville is here for you. Our reliable handyman professionals undergo an extensive screening process that includes an employee background check program, so you can rest assured they will behave courteously and professionally at all times. You can get in contact with our expert customer service team to find out more about our trusted handyman services or to book a convenient time for a service appointment.