From scuffs and scratches to gouges and chips, floors certainly take a beating. Day in and day out, you, your family, your pets, and your guests walk across them, dragging furniture, playing with toys, and accidentally dropping items. Whether you have hardwood floors, laminate, tile, or luxury vinyl planks, you’re bound to require floor repair in Knoxville at some point in your life—that is, if you care about how your floor looks.
Of course, floor repair in Knoxville is about so much more than just looks. Chunks out of your tile are hazards for both adults and small children, while water-damaged wood becomes the perfect ground for rot. Because of the array of flooring options and the different types of damage that occur with each, your West Knoxville handyman is highly skilled in a wide range of services to take care of your floors.
For more information on our unique floor repair services, keep reading. Ready to schedule service today? Call the excellent customer service team at Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville.
About Our Services For Floor Repair in Knoxville
Hardwood floors are quite common in Knoxville. As are tile and luxury vinyl plank. While wood has its own particular set of issues, such as wood rot, all types of flooring are susceptible to cracks, chips, and dents. Whatever particular issue you’re facing with your particular floor style, you want to make sure the company you choose to help has experience repairing it. That’s Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville. We have extensive experience in floor repair. Read on to discover more about how we help restore your floors to their former glory.
Solid hardwood floors are, perhaps, the most difficult to maintain. From oak to pine to maple to fir—these are beautiful options, and they make a great impression. They are the easiest to scratch and scuff—even when treated.
Two issues unique to wood flooring are moisture damage and noise. Knoxville can get quite humid in the summer, and that means your floors will swell unless you keep your home at a steady, cool temperature with low indoor humidity. If not, then you’ll see them warp and buckle, leading the planks to become uneven tripping hazards. To repair wooden flooring, we’ll need to get to the root of the issue. A few common types of hardwood floor repair include solutions for:
- Wood rot: Wood rot can be cut away in sections. Though it’s a fast-spreading fungus that can and will take over your entire floors if left untreated, catching it early often means only a small repair is needed.
- Water damage: Water damage leads to wood rot; when it affects one plank, it will likely seep into others. It’s important to address water damage right away to stop it in its tracks. To do this, we’ll likely need to replace the entire plank.
- Cracks, scratches, and dents: Hairline cracks and chips may be repaired with wood putty or epoxy filler. Scratches can be covered with a wood-stain marker. Dents require sanding and restaining.
If any of these issues is found in excess, we will recommend replacing the entire plank rather than trying to cover up multiple imperfections. It will result in a better-looking finish. The same goes for engineered wood.
Tile is one of the smartest choices for Knoxville homes. However, drop one heavy item in your kitchen, and you’ll most certainly take a chip out of it.
A few of the more frequent types of tile floor repair in Knoxville we perform are as follows:
- Cracking and chipping: Chips happen when something hard strikes the tile. At first, it may crack, and then with time, an entire section of your tile may come off.
- Loose Tile: This may be the cause of your tile installer using the wrong adhesive or not properly laying the tiles. To fix the affected tiles, we’ll need to remove them to inspect what’s going on underneath. We’ll use the proper adhesive and ensure the ground is level.
- Improper Installation: In preparation for tile, floors need to be measured, and the tiles need to be arranged before they can be laid. Proper preparation also includes leveling the ground and applying underlayment. If the mortar is mixed wrong or the ground is not level, your tile will run into issues such as raised sections. Grouting must also be performed correctly to seal the tiles down and prevent moisture from getting underneath them.
- Uneven flooring: The flooring in your home could be uneven due to improper installation. However, the concrete slab may also cause issues. When a slab cracks or sinks, tiles can rise or sink. This is a larger issue that requires addressing the issues with your slab first.
Luxury Vinyl Planks
Made from PVC, luxury vinyl planks (LVP) have the appearance of wood and come in small, easily-replaceable sections. While you can buy scratch and water-resistant LVP, certain types do have their limitations. You will likely experience scratching, dents, and possibly chips in your LVP over time, depending on your particular household’s daily activities. Often, all that’s needed to get your floors back into fighting shape is a plank replacement.
Laminate is made from plastic, and while you’ll have many different design options to choose from, one of the main downsides of this material is that it’s difficult to repair. If you have a scratch or crack in your laminate, we will simply replace the entire section. This particular material cannot be sanded or stained nor filled and re-grouted.
Why Choose Mr. Handyman For Floor Repair in Knoxville?
In the realm of floor repair in Knoxville, quality, experience, and efficiency are king. That’s precisely why Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville is the top choice for the job. Our team has an average of ten years of experience and is skilled in a wide range of home improvement services. When it comes to floor repair, we’ve dealt with numerous materials and resolved every kind of issue imaginable. Our customers love us for our convenient scheduling, on-time arrival, and professional approach.
FAQs About Floor Repair in Knoxville
Can Damaged Wood Floors Be Repaired?
They can. Damaged wood floors, unlike damaged vinyl planks or laminate, can be repaired in a number of ways. While vinyl planks and laminate flooring will need to be replaced when they become damaged, solid hardwood flooring can be repaired in the following ways:
- Cutting away affected material
- Sanding scratched or dented material
- Restaining discolored areas
- Filling floor cracks and small holes
- Replacing planks
Should I Get Flooring Repair or Replacement?
It depends on the condition of your flooring. Thankfully, due to the nature of many types of flooring, i.e., tile and vinyl planks, replacing your flooring just means swapping out one or two planks, whether they have extensive or cosmetic damage. As long as you can find an identical match for the existing pattern or grain you currently have, you should have no issues popping out damaged planks and popping in brand-new ones. With that said, not every type of flooring operates this way, nor is this remedy suitable for every issue. Have a look at the list below to find out when replacement of your entire floor may be a better solution than repair.
- Tile floors with numerous cracks and chips
- Uneven floors with leveling issues
- Improperly installed tile or vinyl planks that move or have gaps
- Rotten wood floors with extensive water damage
- Damaged floor beams and floor joists
- Foundation issues / compromised structural integrity
- Termite damage
- Outdated floors, you feel like switching up
Not sure if you should get a repair or a replacement? Give our knowledgeable customer care team a call to schedule an appointment. One of our service professionals will inspect your situation and recommend the best solution.
What is Wood Rot, and Why is it Such an Issue?
Wood rot is a fungus that occurs when wood becomes moist. The rot loves moisture and heat and needs organic matter to survive. In West Knoxville, unless you keep your home at a consistently cool temperature, you have the perfect environment for wood rot in your home if your floors have recently been subject to moisture from a leak, spill, window left open during a rainstorm, and so on.
While solid wood floors are sealed with a protective coating, if that coating wears down and your floors soak up any amount of moisture that doesn’t dry quickly, wood rot can set in. The wood rot fungus grows and spreads quickly, making it a seriously pesky problem if you have wood throughout your home. Need to fix a floor that is rotted? Our expert team offers wood rot repair services and treatments!
Immaculate Floors Are Just One Call Away - Call Mr. Handyman For Expert Floor Repair in Knoxville Today!
Take a look at the floors around your home. If you notice cracked tile, scratched wood, chips, or raised edges, it’s a sign you need floor repair in Knoxville. Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville is the premier choice for the job. Our professional team will not only complete the service quickly, but we’ll have your floors in immaculate condition with little disruption to your daily routines.
Looking for floor repair near me? Scheduling service has never been easier! Whether you’re in Maryville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge, or the surrounding areas, give us a call or use the contact form to put in a service request today!