Siding Replacement in Wichita KS
Has your home’s exterior seen better days? Is your siding deteriorating so much that you’re starting to worry about developing moisture issues inside of your home? Though siding is designed to last for years, if you live in an older Wichita home, you could be long overdue for repair or replacement. By investing in siding replacement in Wichita, KS, you can lower your energy bills, make your home more comfortable, and boost your curb appeal. With the help of our team of Wichita handyman professionals, you can get your exterior paneling replaced at the best value and with the highest quality results.
Top Reasons To Invest In Siding Replacement
Many homeowners are surprised to learn that siding replacement is one of the top home repairs that boost curb appeal and property value. The return on investment (ROI) for exterior paneling replacement is anywhere from 60 percent to 92 percent, depending on the material you choose. If your home's exterior has seen better days and you’re planning on selling in the near future, replacement is a no-brainer.
That being said, how do you know when your Wichita KS siding needs to be replaced? There are several common indicators of damaged outdoor paneling, including:
- High energy bills. Here’s the thing about energy bills—you can almost always do something to lower them. And no, you don’t need to drop your thermostat and keep yourself wrapped up in a blanket day in and out to achieve this. One of the best ways to reduce your energy bills is to improve the energy efficiency of your home. By contacting an energy auditor, you can determine all the areas where your house could be better insulated. One area that often comes up in energy audits is your siding.
- Wood rot. Wood paneling is incredibly susceptible to wood rot. Though it looks beautiful when initially installed, keeping it in great condition requires significant maintenance. Take a walk around your property and look for signs of wood rot, such as crumbling, warping, and cracking. Once your wood has begun to rot, there’s really no alternative other than replacement.
- Pest damage. Woodpeckers are fascinating creatures to observe—as long as they keep their pecking at the trees in your yard rather than your home. The presence of holes in your siding indicates that these birds and possibly insects have been hard at work. Not only does this impact the appearance of your home, but also leaves the substrate below susceptible to water damage.
- Interior moisture issues. When the substrate is compromised, you could begin to experience moisture issues on the inside of your home. If you notice a particularly damp spot on your walls, check that spot out from the outside. Chances are you’ll find your Wichita KS siding has deteriorated.
If you’re experiencing any of these above issues, siding replacement is undoubtedly one of the best Wichita home improvements you can make.
Our Siding Replacement Service
Wichita KS Siding Materials
Though having so many options available for exterior paneling can make the choice more difficult, with so many options available, you’ll be able to choose the type of siding that is right for you and your goals for your home.
Our experienced handyman professionals are experienced in working with all different types of exterior projects. Some of the different materials we’re trained to work with include:
- Engineered wood
- Hardie board
- Fiber cement
- Natural stone
- Stone veneer
- And more!
Once you’ve decided on a material for your replacement siding, you can pick out a color. Color options will vary according to the material. Wood siding, stone, and brick will, of course, come in only a few different options, while stucco, vinyl, and aluminum come in a wide variety of colors. Choosing the proper siding options are important for the best home improvement result.
Depending on the material you choose for your replacement project, the installation process will vary slightly. That being said, there are a few general steps that your team of service technicians will follow during your installation:
- Removal of damaged panels. In this first step, we’ll remove all damaged panels and any nails used to attach them to the side of your house. Depending on your home, we may also need to remove leftover caulking and paint chips. Our technicians will be careful during removal so as to not damage any of the surrounding areas. We’ll also try to keep the damaged piece intact to create a template for the new piece.
- Cutting new panels. Using either tin snips or a saw, we’ll cut out a new piece of siding to size. Vinyl panels tend to overlap, while other types of siding are designed to fit the space exactly.
- Attaching new panels. To secure your new panel into place, we’ll use a good old hammer and nails, or a nail gun.
- Finishing touches. It’s critical that your new panels are water-resistant. We’ll therefore caulk any exposed joints to make your home's exterior watertight. Once the caulking has dried, we’ll finish by priming and painting the surface if required. This final step may be necessary for wood, but probably not needed for your new piece of vinyl—unless it requires color matching.
And just like that, your siding replacement will be complete! Because our installation pros already have all the required tools and skills for the job, we’ll have your replacement project finished according to quality standards in a mere fraction of the time it would take you to do the job yourself.
Maintaining Your New Siding
Siding replacement is one of the most common home repairs in Wichita, KS, but with a little regular maintenance, you can go years without needing repair or replacement. The better you take care of your new siding, the more bang you’ll get for your buck.
Taking care of your siding is actually relatively simple. Regardless of the material, our best advice is to simply keep it clean. As dust, debris, and allergens build up on its surface, paneling will begin to deteriorate more quickly. While not appropriate for painted surfaces, investing in our power washing service at least once per year will effectively remove these contaminants.
All siding materials—especially wood—should be inspected annually. Any kind of damage can cause the siding to deteriorate. For example, scratches on aluminum can create an opportunity for corrosion to occur, while peeling paint or sealants on wood can lead to wood rot. When you notice these issues, paint, stain, or seal your siding as soon as possible.
Mr. Handyman of Wichita Metro Area Is The Ideal Choice For Siding Replacement in Wichita, KS
Between the quality of our services, exceptional level of experience, and commitment to serving the local community, there are many reasons why you should choose Mr. Handyman of the Wichita Metro Area for your siding replacement needs.
As a locally owned and operated business, we’re committed to providing Wichita residents with unparalleled service and value. Though our main office is in Wichita, we’re also proud to serve residents in some of the surrounding communities, including but not limited to Derby, Newton, and Eastborough. Our team members all have a minimum of 10 years of experience and have undergone extensive employee background checks, so you can rest assured that our uniformed and experienced siding contractors are true professionals.
Customer care is our number one priority. We stand behind our professional installation standards, which is why we’re proud to offer a labor warranty. If you’re unhappy with the quality of workmanship, simply contact us within one year of your service date, and we’ll be happy to come back and make it right.
Wichita KS Siding Replacement FAQs
What Is The Cheapest Siding Material?
If you’re looking just at cost according to square foot, you’ll generally find that wood, aluminum, and vinyl will cost the least, while fiber cement, brick, and stone veneer will cost the most. Again, keep in mind that prices will fluctuate with supply chain disruptions and demand.
If you’re planning to invest in siding replacement to improve your property value, it’s a good idea to compare cost of material and installation with ROI to determine which material makes the most financial sense for you.
Is It Better To Repair Or Replace Siding?
At Mr. Handyman of the Wichita Metro Area, we offer our customers both siding replacement and repair services. We generally recommend siding repair when you have a tight budget and are more concerned with protecting your home from moisture damage rather than boosting your curb appeal.
If you’re finding that you’re having to make considerable repairs to your siding on a regular basis, getting your exterior panels replaced will save you both money and time involved with constant repairs. Additionally, if you want to completely change the look of your home’s exterior, upgrading your siding to new material is worth contemplating.
Can You Put New Siding Over Old Siding?
In some cases, new siding can be applied on top of old siding. For this to be feasible, your old siding would need to be in excellent condition. If any issues are present, particularly moisture damage, you’ll just seal in those issues and allow the damage to spread by applying old siding directly on top.
Can You Replace One Part Of My Siding?
Absolutely! Most of our customers who hire us for siding replacement in Wichita, KS are interested in partial siding replacement. However, if one board is damaged, it’s pretty likely that others are, too.
Depending on the type and age of your existing siding material, it can be difficult to replace a single portion with an exact match. Over time, your siding will begin to weather and become bleached by the sun. The new board will not be bleached and may stand out quite dramatically. If it’s located in an area that isn’t too visible, this might not be an issue for you.
Our technicians have enough experience to be able to make recommendations for your unique situation. Ask us all the questions you want, and we’ll do our best to advise you appropriately.
How Long Does It Take To Replace Siding On A House?
We can’t really give you an answer to this one without knowing more about your project scope first. Some factors that will influence how long your siding replacement service will take include:
- Condition of your siding and substrate
- Amount of siding you need replaced
- Weather conditions at the time of service
- Additional siding services, such as painting and sealing
Siding installation can take as little as a few hours, all the way up to a couple weeks to complete. Rest assured, our service technicians will strive to get your replacement done as efficiently as we possibly can without cutting corners.
What Is The Best Siding Material For A House?
The best siding material for your home will depend on the type of aesthetic you are trying to achieve, the amount of maintenance you’re willing to do, and your budget.
Brick and wood tend to require by far the most maintenance to keep them looking and functioning their best, so keep this in mind when considering these. Vinyl is a great option if you want something that will be durable and affordable.
Though more costly, engineered wood and thick aluminum siding can last up to a century.
How Much Does Siding Replacement in Wichita, KS Cost?
According to recent calculations, the national average cost of siding replacement in the United States is between $5,500 and $20,000. We encourage you to take this price range with a grain of salt, as cost will vary considerably depending on the size of your home, the amount of siding you need replaced, the material you choose, supply chain shortages at the time of service, and the ease of installation.
The best way to get an accurate price on your home improvement project is to contact us by phone at (316) 285-1217 to discuss your unique project. You can also fill out our online service form with your project details, and we’ll give you a call back to discuss your project further before scheduling your service appointment. We provide no-obligation quotes, so you have nothing to lose by reaching out!