Did you know drywall was invented in the early 1900s? It was created to replace plaster and is much lighter and easier to manufacture and install. Interestingly, drywall is also unique because it's fire-resistant. This material is constructed out of two paper boards with a lining of gypsum in the middle—which is a powdery white or gray sulfate mineral—sulfate is non-combustible, giving drywall this unique quality against fire.
Yet, although it has numerous benefits, one drawback is that drywall damages very easily. Hanging shelves or pictures, playing children, exposure to moisture and general wear can all impact your walls; in particular, water damage. Drywall is quite porous, and despite its fire resistance, the same can't be said for water. Any moisture in your walls may harm their structure and cause mold to spread, making a replacement inevitable. The good news is, your local Norwood handyman is highly skilled at drywall repair and can professionally complete tasks such as:
- Seam/joint taping
- Ceiling repair, installation
- Stucco repair
SIGNS YOU NEED DRYWALL REPAIR:
Hole In drywall
: You might think that wood only attracts termites, but unfortunately, that’s not the case. Any type of cellulose is a target for termites and rodents. Pests and infestations are a serious problem that will firstly need thorough pest control services before your local Norwood handyman can check for potential repair services. In this case, a patching job may be one option, but after an infestation, you might want to consider a full replacement. Nail holes or popped nails are unsightly, and it may be safest to fix them by removing any popped nails with a utility knife and pliers. If that nail is a part of your drywall stud, you will need to tap it back down and even add additional drywall screws to ensure the panel is attached to the wall stud.Drywall cracks
: Cracks primarily relate to home settling when soil begins to shift. Anything from a hairline crack to jagged or 45-degree angle cracks are often harmless but require a second opinion from a foundation specialist, along with their repair suggestions. They might tell you that you merely need drywall repair from a handyman. Norwood MA property owners who experience interior cracks count on us to thoroughly inspect their drywall to rule out any potential risks of further damage.Water damage
: A lot of things can cause water damage, from heavy rains to plumbing issues. Water lines are primarily built behind walls or beneath the floors. If you hear running water or experience a sudden change in pressure, we recommend turning off your shut-off valve and checking the water meter to confirm a leak. However, if the damage is caused by bad weather and you experience wet spots and musty smells, you likely have a leak in your roof that could be caused by clogged gutters or damaged soffits and fascia boards. When relying on your local handyman, Norwood MA homeowners will receive efficient drywall repair services and a thorough inspection.
Your local Norwood handyman is proud to share that many of our service professionals are also master carpenters. Since 2005, we've tackled many woodworking projects for clients throughout Norfolk County, including Norwood. From fixing broken handrails to building custom bookshelves, our carpenters will impress you with their care, dedication and quality. We can build, repair and install:
- Crown molding
- Door frames
- Kitchen islands
Contact your local Norwood handyman today to learn all about the benefits of custom-made furniture compared to mass-produced furniture.
ADVANTAGES OF NORWOOD CARPENTRY:
- Personalized items specifically made to fit awkwardly built areas.
- Customized carpentry will boost home value by highlighting originality and uniqueness. It’s an ROI that will boost your home’s market value.
- Locally-sourced wood that is sustainable and reduces import and transportation fees. This way, you will also know exactly where your material comes from. Unlike prefab, you will get all the documentation of your wood’s background, from the lumber to the manufacturer.
- You are supporting local businesses!
- What we build will last for generations. We use high-quality finishing to protect your wood furniture from moisture and stains. If preferred, we can add extra protection by making it weather resistant using waterborne UV technology.
Do you have the patience to wait a little longer for something more special? Our expert technicians will create, deliver and install your product within a decent time frame! Whether you want new cabinets or have other carpentry projects for which you need service, you can always expect first-class work from your local handyman. Norwood MA homes are in good hands!
Image download: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZQPnzVZgidov4apEVpHhCES8DjizRGkRaaX
Alt: A custom entertainment center built and installed in a residential living room by Mr. Handyman.
Your fence in Norwood provides privacy, clearly marks your property lines and ensures your little children and pets can play safely in the backyard. It also contributes to your curb appeal by creating an aesthetically appealing frame around your home. But when your fence has fallen into disrepair, it looks unappealing and may be a hazard to you and your family. Rotting planks, exposed nails, peeling paint and splinters are all concerning and should be fixed or partly replaced right away. With the help of your local Norwood handyman experts, your fence will look good as new in no time. We've worked with many materials, including:
- Wrought iron
We’re also practiced at completing a range of fence repairs, such as:
- Correcting leaning fences, fence posts and fallen panels
- Cleaning and staining old wooden fences
- Replacing damage from rot and insects
- Replacing missing or damaged board and pickets
- Cleaning or replacing rusty gate hinges
- Sanding/painting wood boards
Throughout your Norwood neighborhood, you may have noticed different types of decks with pressure-treated wood being the most common. It’s easy to install and relatively easy to purchase from any hardware store. Pressure-treated means that the wood has been injected with preservatives and other chemicals that make it moisture and bug-resistant. If you neglect any periodic maintenance like staining or sealing, your deck boards will be susceptible to weather damage and develop splinters or cracks. If well-maintained, it could last you between 25 and 40 years.
SIGNS YOU NEED DECK REPAIR:
- Wood rot: Discolored areas showing white, yellow or purplish hues. Flaky paint, softened texture or a cubical fracture
- Grime and mold: Common in areas that don’t get much sun and take longer to dry. If you show signs of allergic reactions once you step out on your deck, check the sides and underneath your deck boards for mold
- Damaged stairs: Ensure the frame that forms the corresponding structural support is safe and that all connectors are of non-corrosive steel materials. The treads shouldn’t squeak when you step on them
- Wobbly railings: You may not know when bolts and screws are loose. Your local Norwood handyman will check the post and ensure the frame is well-connected to the deck joists and beams
Not every homeowner in Norwood climbs up their attic unless it’s a furnished space. When you experience temperature fluctuations and an increased energy bill, the first thing to inspect is your home’s insulators, ranging from door and window frames to siding and drywall. If they are in good condition, you will check your attic next. Is hot summer air plaguing your home or is your heated furnace air rising up way too fast? This indicates that you may have outdated or insufficient attic insulation.
TYPES OF ATTIC INSULATION:
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass batts are pre-cut sections, or you can request blow-in fiberglass, which is probably one of the easiest types to install within your attic space. (R-value of 3.1 to 4.3 per inch.)
- Cellulose: Cellulose is made of recycled materials like paper, cardboard and boric acid. It gets dusty during installation unless you opt for loose-fill cellulose, which typically falls well into place. (R-value is 3.5.)
- Spray foam: Spray Foam insulation is your best choice for quality and an easy installation process. You can spray multiple layers that envelop your whole attic floor. (R-Value 7)
WHAT IS R-VALUE?
R-value stands for thermal resistance—in other words, it measures the resistance level of heat transfer, determining a material’s capacity for heat flow resistance. Good insulation restricts heat flow, which means the higher the R-value, the better the insulation material. We recommend anywhere between R-30 and R-49.
If you notice bad indoor air quality, cold drafts or an overworking HVAC, we recommend that you contact your local handyman. Norwood MA homes will benefit from an expert’s inspection service to help you determine any underlying issues and help you choose the right type of insulation for your attic.
General Handyman Services
No matter how on top of your home maintenance tasks you are in Norwood, sometimes it may feel like your list of to-dos is never-ending. Not to mention, between busy families, work and other commitments, it can be a bit overwhelming to get everything on your honey-do list done. That's why your Norwood handyman offers comprehensive, quality services to all our customers that need home repair services and maintenance. From fixing a warped door frame to cleaning out your gutters, when you hire our company, you choose to put your property in the best hands.
A few of our exterior general Norwood handyman services include:
- Gutter cleaning and repair
- Power washing services
- Patio construction
- Siding repairs and installation
Some of our interior general handyman services include:
- Furniture assembly
- Shower door installation
- Floor installation and repairs
- Ceiling repair
- Ceiling fans (installation and repair)
- Tile repair, installation
- Paint jobs
Looking for a Handyman Near Me? Hire One of Our Norwood Handyman Experts Today!
At Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County and S. Shore, we truly care about providing property owners the highest quality workmanship and customer service possible. Whether you're a business owner with a list of odd jobs for your shop or restaurant or a homeowner with a single project in mind, count on your local handyman. Norwood MA property owners can benefit from a wide variety of handyman services, which means there’s no need to continue your search for a qualified “handyman near me.” When you hire our expert technicians, you not only receive the best service but also save time and money since you don't have to employ multiple niche contractors for a variety of tasks. Instead, entrust your to-do list to the pros at Mr. Handyman, from home repair services to home improvement projects.
We proudly serve residents in Norwood and nearby communities, such as Westwood or Quincy. To book an appointment with one of our qualified service professionals, we invite you to call our friendly office staff ; they will have all the answers you need! Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.