Services for Drywall Repair in Walpole, MA
How often does drywall cross your mind? If you're like most people, it rarely (if ever) crosses your mind, even though you spend the majority of your time completely surrounded by it. That's not a coincidence, it's by design. Drywall is meant to fade into the background and go unnoticed, even though it's in plain sight, and it does—right up until the point where it has suffered damage and needs drywall repair. Walpole, MA homeowners with damaged walls and ceilings can't help but look straight at the problem area every time they enter the room.
Problems such as holes and cracks, or patches that have been stained and softened by excess moisture, are obviously unsightly and lower the appeal of your home. But drywall damage isn't just an appearance issue. It can create some serious problems that make your house less comfortable, safe, sanitary and habitable for you and your family. While appearance alone might not motivate homeowners to get drywall repair, Walpole, MA residents who are aware of all the ways wall and ceiling damage can impact their lives don't hesitate to get the surfaces in their houses restored to good condition.
If you've noticed signs of damage on your walls or ceilings, count on your local, qualified Walpole handyman to correct the problem and leave your walls and ceilings looking as perfect as the day they were originally installed. The team of handyman service professionals at Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County & South Shore have the right combination of skill, training and experience to deliver the topmost standards of quality workmanship, as well as customer service that goes the extra mile.
What is Drywall?
Drywall goes by many names, including sheetrock, plasterboard and gypsum board. This relatively simple product was invented in the late 1800s to replace plaster because it's far less time-consuming and difficult to install. It's also more durable and uniform in appearance, so it provides a smooth, flat surface for your wall or ceiling. It's made from a sheet of gypsum, which is a soft, sulfate mineral, encased in sheets of thick backing and face papers. It also typically contains chemical additives that make it less flammable and more resistant to moisture incursion. Drywall is installed in panels, or sheets, that are fastened to wall studs. The seams between panels are then covered with joint compound, or drywall mud, so they aren't visible once they've been painted or wallpapered over.
What's Included with Our Walpole Drywall Repair Service?
If you are dealing with a problem such as a crack, hole or some other type of damage to your ceiling or wall, you want to hire someone who is willing and able to take care of the entire process from start to finish and leave your house in better condition than they found it.
When it comes to drywall repair, Walpole, MA professionals have seen it all—and repaired it all, too. We've fixed everything from minor scuffs and dents to person-shaped holes where someone went crashing straight through the wall, and we've made sure the repair was completely invisible in every case. If you're a renter who has accidentally damaged the wall in a rental unit, we can help you get your damage deposit back. And, our services aren't just for residential buildings. Business owners in Walpole and nearby parts of the Metro Boston area can count on us for commercial wall and ceiling repair services, along with dozens of other reliable handyman services.
Our services for drywall repair in Walpole, MA include:
- Preparing the work area with drop cloths or plastic sheeting to contain the mess
- Removing the damaged portion or panel
- Applying drywall patches, or wooden support joists for larger holes
- Installing a new piece of drywall or entire panel
- Taping up the edges of the patched area with joint tape
- Applying joint compound to conceal joints or cuts
- Sanding down the dried compound to create a smooth, even surface
- Applying texture spray, if needed or wanted
- Painting the repaired area or wall so the fix is invisible
- Cleaning up the mess of drywall dust and chunks
- Rehanging your paintings or framed photos
How Does Drywall Damage Impact a House?
It may seem like drywall is just there to make your house look good by providing smooth wall and ceiling surfaces. That is a big part of why it's there, but it actually does a lot more than just sit there looking pretty. It protects your house from heat transfer, reduces noise between rooms, discourages pest infestations and more. On the flip side, if your walls or ceiling have suffered damage from impacts, excessive moisture or other damaging factors, they can't perform their duties properly—and that can seriously affect your house and family by making your living space less comfortable and safe. Here are some of the ways damaged, deteriorated drywall affects your home when you're in need of Walpole drywall repair service:
- Higher Energy Costs: Most people certainly don't want to pay more than necessary on their monthly utility bills, but cracks and holes in drywall can significantly increase your energy costs. They allow warm or cool air from your HVAC system to escape inside the walls, increasing the volume of air that needs to be climate controlled and forcing your HVAC to operate for longer periods of time to compensate. That additional operation time noticeably increases your energy bills.
- Compromised Sound Separation: Drywall isn't completely soundproof, but it does contribute a lot towards preventing noises from traveling between rooms. The sound separation is not as effective once the wall has been damaged, so it's easier to hear every little whisper and bump from the next room, and that can be very irritating for those who value their peace and quiet.
- Greater Chance of Pest Infestations: Rodents and insects are capable of making holes if they have to, but they are opportunistic creatures who very much prefer to work smart, not hard, by taking advantage of existing cracks or holes to get inside your walls and cause major damage that makes your house less sanitary and livable. If you have those issues closed up with Walpole drywall repair, it'll make infestations less likely to occur.
- Easier for Fire to Spread: As mentioned above, gypsum board typically contains additives that make it flame retardant. It can't hold fire back forever, but it takes longer for a fire to spread to another room so there's more time to put it out before it burns down the whole building. But holes in the walls or ceiling let the fire pass through unhindered, leading to much more extensive damage.
- Conceals Severe Damage: If you've got a problem such as a wall that is stained or softened from moisture damage, that water is coming from somewhere—and there's a pretty good chance that there's far worse trouble lurking inside the wall. Whether it's being caused by a leaking roof, a hidden plumbing leak or something else, it's critically important to find and stop the source of damage by investing in drywall repair. Walpole, MA homeowners can trust our team to repair damage caused by moisture and other factors that could be hiding much worse issues.
Why Choose Mr. Handyman for Drywall Repair, Walpole MA?
Whether you need a few minor repairs or you've got a major drywall problem that needs to be dealt with, you can depend on the team at Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County & S. Shore to have the detail, skills and experience to provide the highest standard of quality work. We pride ourselves on courtesy, expertise and professionalism when working on home services for your interior and exterior, such as carpentry, flooring installation and drywall repair. Walpole, MA residents can trust us to provide the necessary services to keep their homes in fantastic condition for a long time to come.
Frequently Asked Questions About Walpole Drywall Repair Service
Have questions about drywall repair? Walpole, MA residents can give us a call to chat with our dependable customer service staff and find out the answers to everything they need to know about our trusted handyman services.
What Caused the Problem that Requires Drywall Repair in Walpole, MA?
By this point, you may be wondering what caused the issue that requires drywall repair. Walpole, MA houses can suffer all kinds of problems that affect the walls or ceilings, and sometimes it's pretty obvious what caused the damage because you saw the impact happen before your very eyes. But in other situations, it may be more of a mystery where the source of the damage is coming from. Here are some possible causes of trouble that we commonly deal with in Walpole, MA and other parts of the Metro Boston area:
- Screw and nail holes
- Peeling, bubbling or loose tape
- Moisture damage such as stains or softened patches
- Cracks and popping drywall nails caused by the building shifting and settling
- Scratching or gouging by cats and dogs
- Pest infestations that create or expand holes and cracks
- Ceiling is gouged by careless popcorn texture removal
- Normal wear and tear damage that slowly worsens over time
How Do You Do Drywall Repair for a Tiny Hole or Hairline Crack?
Walpole drywall repair may sound pretty simple, but it does take a surprising amount of skill and experience, combined with a steady hand, to get the professionalism you want. If you're dealing with a hole that is several inches—or several feet—wide, the job is best left to a qualified handyman professional. But if you only have a tiny nail hole, a short hairline crack or another spot of minor damage such as a dent, you can likely handle DIY repair on your own without many problems. There's no need for a patch in that type of situation, so you only need a few basic supplies.
Here are step-by-step instructions for the repair process:
- Wash the area lightly with a damp cloth.
- Use a putty knife or even just your fingertip to apply premixed lightweight spackle to the damaged area.
- Slightly overfill the chip or crack and try to smooth it out so it's as even as possible with the rest of the surface.
- Let the compound dry thoroughly. This may take around 30 minutes for a small amount, but it's a good idea to check the manufacturer's recommended drying time on the spackle package.
- Use fine-grit sandpaper to smooth down any rough parts or bumps so it's flat and even.
- Clean off the dust with a damp cloth.
- If you're not sure your paint color is a perfect match, test it on an inconspicuous area first. Remember that the paint will be a slightly lighter color when it's dry.
- Paint over the repaired area with paint that matches the rest of the wall and let it dry.
Not up to the task of drywall repair? Walpole, MA residents can count on our professional handyman team to take care of it, no matter how big or small the job is.
Need Drywall Repair? Walpole, MA Handyman Pros are Ready to Help!
If you live in Walpole, MA or a nearby community such as Braintree, Marshfield or Norwood, there's no need to worry about who's going to take care of home repair, installation, maintenance and improvement tasks—you've got the team of professionals at Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County & S. Shore in your corner. With our known reputation and experience, we strive to deliver quality workmanship, careful detail and outstanding professionalism to every project.
Ready to get started? So are we! Find us online and give us a call today at (508) 465-2092 to get more information about our reliable drywall services in Walpole, MA and the surrounding areas, or to schedule a convenient appointment time. You can trust us to show up promptly and take the time to explain our recommendations clearly so you are able to make an educated decision about what should be done on your property.