At Mr. Handyman of Charleston and Summerville, we showcase an impressive track record of professional exterior and interior home improvement services by having assisted Charleston and surrounding areas of Cottageville, Dorchester, or Edisto Island. Our expert handyman is well-adept with the skills, tactics, and know-how to make sure your Charleston patio repair will be sturdy for many years to come. We take pleasure in knowing that we only offer the very best superior products and services, quality workmanship, and unparalleled customer satisfaction. We always advocate for your clients by actively listening to their viewpoints to offer a long-lasting and effective solution for repairs, replacement and maintenance for all your home remodeling needs. For those of you who remain indecisive about signing up for a patio repair, you are best advised to book a no-obligation consultation appointment. Recall that our transparent, upfront pricing alongside our one-year parts and labor guarantee ensures you have nothing to lose, as we will turn and make the proper adjustments no matter what. Our experienced team members will show up promptly and uniformed for your service appointment and, upon completion of their work shift, discard all the waste at the appropriate facilities.
What Is a Patio and Why Is It Important?
As a paved area built directly onto the ground, a patio is more versatile than its deck or porch counterparts as it doesn’t need to be attached or detached from your house, so it can easily blend in with the rest of the backyard. If you are looking for something high-quality, functional, and simple for an outdoor seating area, a patio is your best bet. But a patio is not a matter of slapping down a slab of concrete near your backdoor entrance and calling it a day. A professionally assembled patio requires subsurface preparation, including the strategic placement of pavers on the dirt ground so they will permanently adhere to the ground’s surface, as the ground needs to be leveled, excavated, and hard compacted. For those of you who had the unfortunate circumstance of experiencing a bad installation job from a shoddy contractor, it may be about time for an expert patio repair. Lately, if you’ve noticed hairline cracks or fractures, dents, flaking edges, pitting or potholes from sunken concrete, or uneven and rougher areas, these are all red flags your patio is rapidly deteriorating. Although your patio is bound to crumble over time due to wear and tear from water damage and foot traffic, it's best not to out rightly ignore a broken patio as apart from the eyesore cosmetic damage, for example, concrete cracks can compromise the structural integrity of your patio as slowly sinks into the ground and becomes unstable. If you’ve been extra vigilant about proper upkeep of your patio, including routine maintenance, for example, sweeping off debris, spot cleaning stains, resealing pavers, and removing surrounding weeds, there is a slim chance you will ever require a patio repair due to a damaged platform.
Our Obligated Charleston Porch Repair Process
Although most property owners opt for concrete for a patio repair, Charleston, SC must be aware of other common patio materials in case they need to swap it out later on for a change of pace. Surprisingly there is a diverse array of materials available besides concrete. Whichever material you choose will also determine your effort expended toward routine maintenance and any foreseeable Charleston patio repair.
Type of Patio Materials
- Gravel: This is a studier and low-maintenance material which is easy to install, such as a pea gravel patio and is one of the most entry-level and affordable options. Plus, it mimics a natural appearance, bolsters water drainage, and is customizable. The only downside is that because it's so granular, its surface’s rocks can potentially scatter, it does not do well under fluctuating pressure, such as heavy outdoor furniture and does not bode well when exposed to snow and rain as the gravel can move around resulting in sinkholes and ruts, plus weeds can readily emerge if a proper installation job was not done.
- Concrete: The most popular option for a reason concrete is incredibly durable, easier to maintain as it's a singular solid surface unlike its counterparts and is inexpensive as it does not require the individual purchase of stone, brick, or tile materials. And it does well in terms of aesthetic appeal for a front yard or backyard’s decorative finish with its design potential. The only downside is that it can take up to 10 days to fully cure and harden after a patio repair or installation and as a porous material, it's more susceptible to grimy stains if it’s not regularly resealed. If this chore is neglected, the concrete surface will begin to weather away and look discolored.
- Brick: Brick adds a rustic vibe to your outdoor living space as it beautifies your premises and is a sturdy and durable material that can withstand fluctuating weather and temperature. As far as brick paving goes, it's mostly low maintenance and offers a non-slip surface and is skid resistant as it has a naturally textured surface. If you’re hoping to reduce your eco-footprint, brick is environmentally friendly, unlike concrete which is not a naturally occurring organic material. But beware that brick can chip, crack and fade eventually.
- Pavers: Paving stones are made of natural stones, bricks, or concrete and are basically made as individualized units. This is different compared to using a bulkier and chunky concrete slab. They are becoming increasingly popular for exterior flooring, given their adaptability. Pavers are durable, affordable, and easy to maintain and are less likely to suffocate the ground allowing weeds to grow through and withstand any expansion and contraction. This allows for optimal flexibility and intricate design options for patterns that can be installed on driveways, walkways, patios, and more. The only downside is that because they are made up of smaller and pieced-together individual portions, they have numerous joints that not only need to be filled with sand to set the surface when first installed, but over time the sand needs to be replenished repeatedly. If this is not done, pesky weeds will snake their way in and around these joints and result in an unsightly appearance.
- Tile: Definitely a more elegant choice, tile such as porcelain is a durable, non-porous material and so is resistant to stains and can withstand fluctuating temperatures in various local climates from blistering hot to freezing cold, so it won’t crack as easily. Plus, it’s waterproof as it has a lower water absorption rate and is resistant to chemicals, including household detergent. The only downside is that outdoor porcelain is sometimes difficult to install and if wet, can get slippery, posing a potential safety hazard. Specific tile materials such as ceramic are not good for the outdoors, too as they can absorb water, making them susceptible to fractures and mold growth.
- Natural Cut Stone: If you are into living an organic lifestyle, natural stone is a great option as it’s durable, versatile, bodes well in fluctuating temperatures, is fire and pest resistant, and is maintenance-free as it does not require painting, oiling, or reeling. This makes sense considering there are stone structures still standing around from prehistoric times. Just note that natural stone is more susceptible to discoloration when exposed to acidic environments, so constant exposure to splashes from beverages such as juices or sauces from, say, an eating area will muck up your charming stone patio and you may require frequent patio repairs. Charleston, SC homeowners should note that acidic chemical-based cleaners can also erode the stone’s surface, so it’s best advised you practice caution if using them.
Why We Are the Captivating Choice for Patio Repair
Your home’s patio is your destination for you to sunbathe in the great outdoors of your backyard, so you’d only be doing a disservice to yourself by not asking for a Charleston patio repair. Charleston, SC clients must understand that our trustworthy contractors are qualified and will do the right job the first time around. The last thing you would want is to sit on a bumpy and patchy patio that can make your caboose sore over time. Best of all, a quality Charleston patio repair, Charleston homeowners must know, can boost your property value as potential buyers will be impressed by your refurbished outdoor oasis.
Frequently Asked Questions About Patio Repair
How do you level an uneven patio?
For a concrete patio that has uneven slabs, this can be fixed without doing an entire replacement. Your Charleston technician will first determine the underlying cause for the unevenness with a routine inspection and proceed to fix any hairline cracks in the patio with sealer or filler. Next, they will scrub away any clinging debris with power ash and after that, proceed to dig up the damaged areas. After the subsurface has been prepared, it will be replaced with a new slab.
How do you fix loose pavers on a patio?
Although pavers give you the most flexibility in terms of patio materials, they must be maintained by routinely being topped up with more sand to strengthen the base and ensure the tiles remain in place for a long time. If a paver piece happens to become loosened, it will need to be removed and a fresh and flat layer of sand applied underneath it. Hold the paver in place until it is even and solid as it sits flush with the surrounding pavers.
Can you repair badly damaged concrete?
Mostly, any concrete surface from your driveway to the patio can be repaired for both minor and major cracks. Smaller cracks, such as hairline cracks due to freezing and thawing, organic growth, or water and moisture damage, are not a cause of concern as apart from their unsightly appearance, these are normal and they can mostly be left alone. For bigger fractures, a concrete overlay will have to be applied to the patio’s surface.
A Patio Is a Place to Rest and Relax On — Ask Us Today for a Patio Repair!
Don’t delay in asking for a picturesque Charleston patio repair so you can get back to gazing at the outdoor scenery. Apart from Charleston we also serve nearby areas of
Ladson, Mount Pleasant, and Hanahan, so be proactive and reach out to one of our courteous customer service representatives to schedule a consultation or service appointment or to learn more about our home renovation services from power washing to deck repair and door installation.