Professional Service for Drywall Repair in Boulder, CO
What makes the interior of your home so unique and orderly? Everyone has their own room or space where they can focus on themselves or work without distractions. If you ask yourself what makes this room your comfort zone, you might think of the door that you can close to signal that you’re in need of some privacy. Or you draw the curtains close to take a little nap. What ultimately gives you the sense of privacy and safety is your drywall, which enables you to have a secure window and door, not to mention hold the ceiling above your head and enable you to walk on solid ground.
In short, your drywall is what holds your interior structure together and allows you to create different rooms and sections. You are probably surrounded by drywall right now as you are reading this page, wondering what makes this material so unique that every modern home has it.
Drywall is often referred to as Sheetrock—which is a common brand name for a type of drywall made by the USG Corporation, a company that is active in manufacturing and construction, specializing in wallboard distribution and a myriad of gypsum products. Unlike its predecessor plaster, Sheetrock is made of gypsum minerals that’s layered between two thick paper sheets. The average thickness is 1/2 inch, but it can also vary in thickness depending on what you need it for. It’s naturally fire-resistant thanks to the use of glass fibers and other non-combustible additives and materials.
Your local Boulder handyman at Mr. Handyman of E Boulder, Broomfield & Erie is an experienced drywall repair specialist who has helped many locals in Boulder and nearby areas recover their four walls effectively and efficiently. All of our service technicians are highly trained, bonded, and insured, bringing an average of ten years of experience in home maintenance, minor to major home repairs, and improvement projects.
What Kinds of Issues Can Mr. Handyman Solve With Drywall Repairs in Boulder, CO?
In modern construction, it’s a godsend to have high-quality materials that are durable and cost-effective. Cost-effective not only because the material is easy to manufacture and purchase, but also because it’s lightweight and easy to install. This way, property owners can enjoy quality materials while saving money on labor.
Despite its versatility and numerous benefits, drywall is not unbreakable. In fact, it’s sensitive to moisture and heavy impacts. If not careful, you’ll be calling a professional for drywall repair. Boulder, CO homeowners may not instantly detect damage or understand its severity. In extreme cases, damage could affect your insulation system and even compromise your home’s structural integrity, depending on where the damage comes from and what else is affected.
With Mr. Handyman’s drywall repair services, you can avoid all the complications that come from problems like these:
Holes In Drywall:
Holes may occur from former pictures and TV mounts but could also be the result of moving furniture. Sometimes, holes result in worse damage and other problems if your insulation is also affected by a damaged house siding. (Read about the signs you need siding repair and how it could otherwise affect your home’s interior.)
If your drywall is cold to touch, it’s likely exposed to the elements or whatever damage your siding has might be spreading onto your drywall, decreasing its efficiency. Holes can occur, and it will be more prone to minor accidents. The three most common types of hole-related drywall damage your Boulder drywall repair technician deals with include:
- Popped Nails: This is not the nail that used to hold a picture, but an interior drywall screw designed to hold your drywall studs. Keep an eye out for protruding nails that look like they’re breaking through the surface. This is more than cosmetic, as it could compromise the panel’s overall stability. Rather than covering it up with a layer of compound, try to remove the nail with pliers or even tap it back into the wall stud, followed by adding additional nails to increase stability.
- Termites: Boulder homeowners who worry about their wooden doors, decks, and fence have to worry about their drywall too! Termites also feed on cellulose, which includes paper. Holes are the perfect gateway for termites to access the core and start feeding. Signs of termites include beige-colored mud tunnels on the surface that look like a maze. Unfortunately, it’s too late to patch that hole. A natural way to kill the termites is by applying boric acid, which will dehydrate them instantly. Next, our Boulder drywall repair expert will be more than happy to help you replace the affected panel with drywall installation services.
- Rodents: Mice also feed on cellulose and might be even faster and more aggressive at doing that. We recommend that you call your local pest control agency first and secure the damaged area for drywall repair. Boulder, CO service providers will provide you with a brand-new piece of drywall to restore that wall’s original looks and functions.
This damage may need some in-depth coverage because there are a number of serious issues that could be the culprit. In newer houses that are about five years-old, cracks can be common as a result of settling. It may start with a hairline crack, or worse, a 45-degree angle crack. This could occur on your exterior or interior walls and should be treated immediately before potential harsh weather conditions access those cracks and trigger interior damage.
Your local Boulder drywall repair professional highly recommends consulting a foundation specialist to determine the type of house settlement you have. They have a special calculation and measurement system to identify whether you have a safe uniform settlement, where all corners of your house have settled evenly. Even if your house is tilting, because only one corner has sunk, it’s still considered a safe settlement as long as your concrete foundation is intact. However, serious problems arise if you have a differential settlement, which means parts of your foundation have shifted or dropped. In that case, you will know when you see large vertical or stair-like cracks on your walls or on your exterior structure. Although these incidents are rare, they are still possible, and you’ll need more than just Boulder drywall repair services. Our handyman team advises that you check your warranty documents and call your home insurance company.
Climate and soil condition will often determine how your foundation settles. Luckily, Colorado’s soil is primarily composed of Seitz soil, slowly-permeable soil that came from magmatic, volcanic rocks. Compared to other clay-like soils, Seitz is very well-drained, and consistent.
Got a few hairline cracks inside your home, and you need your Boulder handyman to investigate? No problem, we’re all geared up for efficient drywall repair. Boulder, CO homeowners can trust our judgment. If we think it’s something more serious, we will refer you to our contracted specialists! Give your Boulder drywall repair technicians a call when you notice the following cracks:
- Drywall cracks in living room
- Wall cracks in basement
- Cracks on door and window frame
- Cracked trim (such as baseboards or crown molding)
This is probably the most unpleasant sign there is because it often indicates other more serious problems like a busted water line or undetected water damage on your siding that’s eating its way through your sheathing and interior walls.
It’s extremely important to periodically check your outdoor living space for signs of faults. For example, you might have had an ice dam last winter because of clogged gutters that were holding debris and standing water. During snowmelt season, you might experience leaky gutters because the heavyweight might’ve loosened the sections. This leaves watermarks on your siding. If you have untreated cracks, they will allow water to penetrate and wreak havoc on your home.
Although gypsum can hold a small amount of moisture, it needs to dry immediately before it gets a chance to cause damage or attract rodents. Experiencing a leaky ceiling due to bad weather? Ceiling repair is essential. Don’t wait until moisture damage or decreased home insulation leads to costly repairs. Instead, count on your local handyman for expert Boulder drywall repair services.
Boulder Drywall Repair: Frequently Asked Questions
As your local Boulder drywall repair professionals, we enjoy teaching our customers some tricks, especially when it's minor patching jobs that you can complete within half an hour. During repairs, we get a lot of interesting questions that show us how eager our clients are to learn how to safely take care of their walls.
However, when moving on to more complex tasks, you may need specific tools and materials for repairing damage. We’ll do our best not to leave out any details when we answer your questions about those types of projects.
What Do You Use For Efficient Boulder Drywall Repair?
It really varies depending on the type of repair needed. From patching small holes to replacing panels, our Boulder drywall repair technicians will make sure to bring:
- General drywall repair kits
- Joint compound (drywall compound)
- Paper tape (drywall tape)
- Drywall replacement panels
- Drywall anchors and screws
- Wood furring strips
- Sanding pads
- Pencil and chalk
- Dust mask
- Safety glasses
- Putty knife (six-inch)
- Taping knife
- Staple gun with staples
Can I Do Drywall Repair Myself For A Small to Medium-Size Hole?
It is possible to fix some small holes yourself, as long as you have the necessary tools and guidance from an expert. We hope this small guide will give you some insight! Be the professional drywall repair technician you always wanted to be!
- Lay out newspapers on the floor to change into clothing you don’t mind getting dirty
- Check your repair kit for an 8x8-inch mesh patch and lay it out
- Even out the affected area carefully with sandpaper and use a damp cloth to wipe around the edges.
- Your mesh patch should have a paper backing. Peel it off and apply it against the hole.
- With your putty knife, spread your first coat of compound across the surface.
- Allow it to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Carefully sand off the ridges.
- Repeat with a second finishing coat of mud.
- Feel free to also apply some paint to help your repairs match the surrounding surface!
Is It True That Holes Larger Than Six-Inches Shouldn’t Be Patched?
That is true because mere mesh tape and drywall mud won’t provide enough strength and the same area could easily break again. In this situation, you will need to cut a piece of drywall and apply wood strips to increase the stability. There are more steps required for this type of Boulder drywall repair where cutting, taping, mudding, and inserting screws are highly important for a successful repair job. As you can imagine, it can get messy! That’s just one reason that these types of jobs are best left to the pros.
Need Boulder Drywall Repair Services?
Trust your skilled technicians for an expert drywall repair job, so your home’s interior looks good as new! Our local team of service professionals deliver high quality craftsmanship and proudly serve the residents of Boulder and surrounding communities, including Erie, Frederick, Westminster, and beyond.
If you’re ready to book an appointment for
drywall service with Mr. Handyman or have further questions about our Boulder handyman
services, feel free to
find us online or give our friendly customer service representatives a call today at