How Our Knoxville Step Repair Service Works
It’s important to get step repair in Knoxville, TN done by experienced professionals, as any errors may compromise your safety. Our handyman professionals have experience with multiple materials and stair designs. They also have significant carpentry experience and high attention to detail, so you can rest assured that your stairs are in capable hands.
Your Knoxville step repair service begins the moment you first contact us. From this point on, you can expect your service to follow these stages:
- Discuss project: Our outstanding customer service representatives will discuss your project with you and collect important information for our service professionals. Sometimes our customers are happy to book their service appointment right there and then, but others would like to get an accurate idea of pricing before committing. If you fall into the latter category, we’ll schedule an on-site estimate.
- On-site estimate: On the day of your pre-booked estimate, one of our service professionals will head over to your property to take a look at the damage. After seeing it in person, they’ll be able to suggest one or more repair options and their corresponding prices. If you agree to the estimate, we’ll schedule you in for a service appointment.
- Service appointment: Our techs will show up in uniform and on time for your service appointment. Depending on the scope of the job, there may be one or two techs. They’ll bring all their own tools and equipment so you don’t have to worry about supplying anything. Before leaving, they’ll clean up after themselves so thoroughly that you won’t even be able to tell they were there!
- Follow-up: Our handyman experts take great pride in their work, but sometimes miscommunications happen. If you’re dissatisfied with the quality of workmanship, reach out to let us know and we’ll come back and fix it for free.
Wondering about the tools and techniques involved throughout the actual repair process? Our service professionals tailor each and every service according to the unique specifications, goals and needs of each customer and project. We encourage you to contact us directly to learn about the repair methods that are best suited to your Knoxville step repair, but these methods may include one or more of the following:
Wood Step Repair In Knoxville, TN
The most common type of step repair in Knoxville, TN is wood step repair. Wood is a popular choice of material in both interior and exterior spaces, but it’s also one of the less durable materials used in construction today. Still, wood continues to be a popular choice due to its beauty and warmth.
- Squeaking: Though there are different causes of squeaky stairs, this sound typically occurs when wood shrinks and one or more components of your stairs become loose. Using their extensive carpentry experience, your handyman will determine the cause of the squeak and either tighten existing hardware or add new hardware and supports.
- Loose or broken rails and posts: Screws, additional wood pieces, wood glue and wood putty may all be used to tighten loose rails or posts. If the damage is extensive, damaged areas may need to be replaced.
- Damaged treads: Depending on the extent of damage, a tread that has cracked may be repaired by filling in the crack or hole. However, if structural integrity has been compromised, it may need to be replaced. Sometimes a single tread can easily be removed and replaced, but in other cases, the entire staircase needs to be disassembled. Your technician will walk you through the options for your damaged treads.
Concrete Step Repair In Knoxville, TN
Cement steps aren’t often found in residential homes, but they can be found at front entryways and within commercial buildings. Concrete slabs tend to form deep cracks and chip over time, resulting in a loss of structural integrity and a tripping hazard. If your concrete stairs have become a safety concern, we may be able to do minor concrete repairs. A steel trowel and a quick-setting cement acrylic fortifier can be used to fill in cracks and chips.
For more extensive repairs, we encourage you to contact us directly by phone at 865-409-0822 to discuss your Knoxville step repair needs, and we’ll see what we can do for you.
Common Causes of Damage Requiring Knoxville Step Repair
There are three main causes of stair damage: wear and tear, improper installation and exposure to the elements.
Wear And Tear
Constant use of stairs naturally leads to wear and tear. Getting a Knoxville step repair service done as soon as you notice issues will prevent the problem from getting worse and resulting in more costly repairs, or replacement.
Unfortunately, not all handymen are as reputable and experienced as we are. If installed incorrectly in the first place, they’ll deteriorate much more quickly.
Exposure To Elements
Wood and concrete both don’t respond well to temperature fluctuations and moisture. When moisture penetrates untreated wood fibers, it creates an environment for wood-consuming fungi, resulting in wood rot. Once wood rot begins, it is difficult to stop. The affected area must be carved out and replaced with a wood filler or brand new wood. Likewise, concrete is a permeable material that readily absorbs moisture if not sealed. When the temperature drops, water molecules within concrete expand, creating pressure that causes cracks.
Fortunately, we’re pros at wood rot repair. During a deck repair project photographed below, we removed rotted deck boards and installed new boards for our customer. We repair large areas of damage to wooden steps using the same method.
Keeping Your New Steps In Great Shape
As much as we love seeing our customers, we don’t want you to keep having to come back to us for our Knoxville step repair service. Simply keeping your interior stairs clean and addressing issues as soon as they come up will keep them in great condition for years to come, but exterior stairs require a little more work.
Wooden stairs should be painted or stained and sealed every couple of years, or as needed. If they get scuffed, the finish can come off, creating a point of entry for water to infiltrate the wood fibers and lead to wood rot. Likewise, concrete should be sealed as needed to keep moisture out. Contact us about our painting, staining and sealing service if you’d like us to do the maintenance for you.
Why Choose Us For Step Repair in Knoxville, TN
Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville is known to locals not just in Knoxville, but also in many surrounding communities such as Oak Ridge, Claxton and Powell as a home service company they can trust. Both residential and commercial property owners trust our veteran- and woman-owned franchise with their repair, installation and maintenance needs thanks to our long list of 5-star customer reviews and our dedication to cultivating total peace of mind. Some ways in which we do this include:
- Doing background checks and drug tests on our licensed, insured and bonded service professionals
- Providing a one-year quality workmanship guarantee
- Offering free, no-obligation on-site estimates
- Answering the phone and ensuring transparent communication throughout every step of the process
Don’t risk shoddy repairs by doing service with an independent contractor who works out of the back of his personal vehicle. We’ll get your Knoxville step repair done right the first time.
Knoxville Step Repair FAQs
Can I Do My Own Step Repair In Knoxville, TN?
DIY repairs may be a temporary fix for your damaged stairs, but due to the high level of precision and carpentry expertise involved in our Knoxville step repair service, as well as the importance of proper repairs for the safety of those using the stairs, we recommend hiring a professional for your project.
When looking for a Knoxville handyman, some property owners think solely about the labor costs and choose the cheapest quote or decide to attempt the repair on their own. Choosing a cheap contractor or doing the repair yourself can end up costing you more in the long run. Save your time and money by going with a professional handyman company.
How Long Does Your Knoxville Step Repair Service Take?
The length of our service varies considerably from customer to customer. Some factors that will affect the length of your Knoxville step repair service include:
- The size of your stairs
- The material your stairs are made out of
- The type of repair (i.e., does the product need to cure before work can be completed?)
- Extent of damage
- Type of damage
- Unexpected obstacles that come up during your service
That being said, we understand how important a functioning staircase is, whether located outside or inside of your home. Our service technicians will work as efficiently as possible to minimize interruption to your daily routine. When we provide you with a cost estimate, we’ll also give you an expected timeline for your service.
What’s The Best Step Repair Method?
The best step repair method is the one that is best suited to the project in question. This answer may sound like a cop-out, but it’s the truth. Unless you’re a carpenter, you may not realize how complex stairs are. Some of the components of stairs include:
- Newel or post
- And more
All of these parts work together and must be installed with a high degree of accuracy. When a part begins to fail, it takes an expert carpenter to determine the cause and the right repair or replacement needed. As long as the technician takes the time to find the source of the issue and doesn’t take any shortcuts during the repair, you can rest assured that they’ve chosen the best step repair method for you.
How Can I Prevent Wood Rot?
Prevent wood rot by taking the time to reseal your wood steps regularly. Though it may seem like a nuisance, it will extend the life of your stairs considerably. Wood can be costly to replace, so by investing a little money into sealing every couple of years, you’ll save money in the long run.
It’s also important that your wooden stairs aren’t ever in direct contact with the ground. If erosion has occurred since they were first installed, or they were installed improperly, we may be able to elevate your stairs to fix this problem.
What Is The Best Material For Step Repair In Knoxville, TN?
The answer to this depends on the material your stairs are made out of. Typically, if parts need to be replaced, we’ll replace them with the same material. Wood stairs will be repaired using wood, wood putty, and/or wood filler, while concrete is repaired with more concrete.
If you find yourself in need of exterior stair replacement, we encourage you to look into more durable materials, such as pressure-treated wood.
Schedule Your Knoxville Step Repair Service Today!
Our team at Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville is committed to providing residents within and around Knoxville, TN with high-quality home services and incomparable customer service for everything from stair repair to floor repair and many other home improvements. We want to help you make your Knoxville property safe, aesthetically pleasing and ultimately feel like home. By taking advantage of our free estimates, you have nothing to lose by contacting us to see what we can do for you!
To discuss your Knoxville step repair and book an estimate or service appointment, give our friendly customer service team a call today. If you’re currently short on time, you can also fill out our online contact form with your project details and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.