For reliable, experienced tile installation from a qualified Knoxville handyman, rely on the team of professional repair and installation technicians at Mr. Handyman ofWest Knoxville. We are your local tile experts, and you can trust us to take care of your entire residential or commercial property from floor to ceiling.
What's Included in Knoxville Tile Installation Services?
When it's time for tile installation, Knoxville, TN homeowners often assume it's a pretty simple process that they can handle without any prior experience. The truth is, it's one of those tasks that seems simple but requires years of practice to get the best results. If you are looking for a tile installer near me, count on your local Knoxville handyman to install a smooth, even surface with perfectly-spaced grout lines for a beautiful-looking installation that is also highly functional.
Our local experts handle a wide range of types, including ceramic, porcelain, glass, granite, marble, natural stone or engineered stone.
OUR TILE INSTALLATION SERVICES
- Old Flooring Removal: In some cases, it is possible to simply install new tile flooring over top of your existing flooring installation, but usually it's best to remove the old material first. We'll get it ripped up and hauled away as part of our tile services. A removal allows us to inspect your subfloor and see if you need subfloor repairs.
- Preparation: Depending on the current state of your floor or wall structures, it may be necessary to prepare your concrete subfloor or wall by adding an underlayment or cement backer board, so your tile has a sturdy surface to adhere to. If installation occurs in your basement, additional waterproofing services may be required.
- Layout Planning: The last thing you want to do with a Knoxville tile installation is just start laying down tiles in a random location. It's important to pre-plan your project to make sure your pattern looks right when it's finished.
- Thinset Application: We'll mix up small batches of thinset mortar and go section by section, applying a ridged layer to the subfloor.
- Tile Installation: For your actual tile installation, Knoxville, TN professionals cover the back of each individual piece with a ridged layer of thinset and gently drop it into place on the layer already applied to your subfloor.
- Grouting: Next, we'll overfill joints between each piece with grout and use a damp sponge to wipe away excess grout to form even and slightly indented grout lines.
- Grout Haze Removal: When grout dries, there's a filmy layer called grout haze left on the surface of your pieces. We'll use grout haze remover to get your tiles bright and clean again.
- Finishing Up: Once the work is complete, we'll clean up the tile installation mess and handle finishing touches such as replacing baseboards and other trim.
Why Choose Mr. Handyman for Tile Installation, Knoxville TN?
When you call Mr. Handyman for tile installation, Knoxville, TN professionals on our team will arrive on time for your scheduled appointment, in uniform and driving a branded vehicle with all the tools and materials they need to get the job done. We value customer satisfaction, which is why we take the time to address your concerns, answer all your questions and do everything in our power to deliver outstanding service on every job.
Each member of our team is highly trained, bonded and insured, bringing years of industry experience that guarantees workmanship and customer satisfaction. You can rely on our expert handyman services to take care of property maintenance, home repairs and various home improvement projects to enhance your comfort and maintain your curb appeal.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tile Installation
CAN TILE INSTALLATION BE DONE WITHOUT GROUT?
While it may technically be possible to do Knoxville tile installation without grout lines, it's not a good idea and the results won't be up to industry standards. Homeowners in Knoxville sometimes ask our team this question because they don't like how grout looks or don't want to deal with cleaning it. While that's understandable, a grout-less installation just wouldn't work. It would leave behind tiny cracks between pieces that would attract dirt and be impossible to clean properly. The other problem is that all buildings shift and settle over time, and grout gives a bit of "wiggle room" to allow that movement. Without it, your pieces would grind into each other and crack or crumble apart.
HOW HIGH SHOULD A TILE INSTALLATION GO FOR A BACKSPLASH?
That depends on your personal preferences. If we're talking about a kitchen backsplash installation, the standard is for the installation to extend from the countertop to the bottom of the upper cabinets, and there's often a more elaborate or decorative glazed tile system above the stove. However, there's no set correct height, and some backsplashes only rise about four inches above the countertop, while others cover pretty much the entire wall.
When you're working on the design of your new installation, keep in mind that backsplashes aren't just for decoration. They protect your wall from splashes of water, oil, cooking grease and other food substances that could stain or soften the drywall, so it makes sense to ensure the walls near food preparation and cooking areas and near the sink are fully protected. The same applies to backsplashes and custom shower tiles in a bathroom.
CAN YOU WALK ON A NEW TILE INSTALLATION RIGHT AWAY?
While we understand that you're eager to try out your new tile installation, Knoxville, TN homeowners should resist the temptation and avoid stepping on the new tile floor surface for a full 24 hours to give the thinset time to fully dry and cure. If it's walked on before the thinset cures, the pressure can press corners or edges of individual pieces down, creating a bumpy, uneven surface with plenty of tripping hazards.
Interested in Tile Installation? Knoxville, TN, Mr. Handyman is Here for You!
If you are in need of ceramic or porcelain tile installation services in Knoxville or a nearby part of our corner of Tennessee, such as Claxton, Farragut or Oak Ridge, you can get the best quality of service from the pros at Mr. Handyman ofWest Knoxville.
Call our friendly customer service representatives today to find out more about what we have to offer or to book an appointment for service.