We are a locally owned and operated business in West Knoxville and surrounding areas. We are very proud to offer the residents of Karns — and nearby communities such as Oak Ridge, Powell, and Claxton — a wide range of professional handyman services designed to enhance the comfort, livability, and appeal of your home. From minor fixes and maintenance tasks to larger projects such as remodeling, our technicians can get every task crossed off your to-do list.
Our Karns handyman services are not just for residences. Are you a business owner in Karns, TN who requires maintenance and improvements for a commercial property? We understand the individual needs of a commercial building, whether it is a fabrication plant, a farm outbuilding, a cozy little café, or dozens of other types of businesses.
Do you need more information about services offered by our Karns handyman team, or have questions about something that needs fixing or improvements on your residential or commercial property? Give us a call to chat with our friendly customer service staff and get all your questions answered, or read on to learn more about some of our highly requested services.
KARNS DRYWALL REPAIR
Like most people, you probably spend a large portion of every day surrounded by drywall — but you can go years without ever having it cross your mind. That makes perfect sense because drywall is not particularly intriguing, nor is it noticeable building material. Still, when it has suffered damage such as water stains, cracks, or holes, it is suddenly the first thing everyone notices when they step into a room.
But did you know drywall damage is more than just an unsightly cosmetic problem? It can actually make your home a lot less comfortable and take a big bite out of your bank account by forcing you to pay more than necessary on your utility bill. The unpleasant consequences of damaged drywall include:
- Insect and rodent infestations. Pests have access into and out of your house. Rats, mice, termites, carpenter ants and other unsanitary, destructive pests always search for ways to get into your cozy home. Once they find it, dozens of their nasty little friends won't be far behind.
- Your heating and cooling costs are already a huge expense on your monthly utility bills. Therefore, cracks or holes in your drywall can cause them to skyrocket. That is because the damage allows warm or cool air to escape inside the walls, and your HVAC system has to operate longer and use more energy to keep your house at the temperature you have set on your thermostat.
- It also makes your Karns home less comfortable by decreasing sound separation between rooms. That can especially be a problem for multi-family dwellings, or if you just happen to live with someone who likes to use their outdoor voice at all times.
Our Karns handyman service experts will handle the entire process from start to finish, so there is nothing for you to worry about, including:
- Putting down drop cloths to catch the drywall dust
- Removing the old drywall material
- Hanging new panels of sheetrock
- Taping over the joints between panels
- Covering the tape and smoothing corners with joint compound
- Sanding the dry compound to create a smooth, even surface
- Refinishing and painting the wall so the repair is totally invisible
- Cleaning up after ourselves
- Rehanging your framed photos and curtains for the final touches
How Did This Damage Occur?
There are situations in which you know precisely what caused the damage to your drywall, whether a misbehaving pet has been using it for a scratching post or someone kicked a hole in it while demonstrating an amateur martial arts move. But sometimes, you have no earthly idea what caused the issue with your drywall. It could be something not necessarily as obvious, like a poorly ventilated bathroom causing water damage to drywall with excessive condensation on the walls from shower steam. If you aren't sure where the damage is coming from, our multi-skilled Karns handyman team will trace it back to its source and get that problem fixed up as well. This way, you don't have to deal with more aggravating damage in a couple of weeks or months.
KARNS DRYER VENT CLEANING
If you have ever had to do without an automatic clothes dryer, you can fully appreciate your dryer for the time-saving convenience that it truly is. But few Karns homeowners realize that their dryer can pose a serious safety risk to their home and family if they don’t clean out the vent duct regularly.
The vent hose or pipe leading from the machine to the outside is used to rid your dryer of hot, humid air from the drying laundry. Lint and other debris such as dryer sheets are supposed to be caught in your dryer's lint trap, but over time, it gets into the ductwork and coats the interior with a thick layer of lint that partially or completely blocks off the airflow. This means your dryer will use more energy to dry your clothes, leading to an increased monthly utility bill.
Much worse than a high energy bill for Karns residents, the dryer can create a spark that sets the highly flammable lint on fire, sending flames racing through the walls of your home. Sadly, this happens more frequently than many people realize. About 2,900 clothes dryer fires are reported every year in the United States, resulting in five deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss annually. The leading cause of those fires is the failure to clean the dryer. You can help reduce the risk of fire by always cleaning out the lint trap after each load of laundry.
Not sure if your ducts are due (or overdue) for professional cleaning? Check out our guide to what homeowners need to know about dryer vent cleaning. Here are some warning signs to watch out for in your Karns home:
- It takes more than about 30 to 45 minutes for clothes to dry
- You have to run more than one cycle for a single load of laundry
- Fabric is very hot or has a musty smell after drying
- There is visible lint gathered around the dryer vent opening outside
- It has been more than one year since it was last cleaned
KARNS PLUMBING AND ELECTRICAL REPAIR AND INSTALLATION
If you have a leaky faucet or need to get a ceiling fan installed, you have to call a plumber or an electrical service, right? Well, that is actually not necessary — our multi-skilled Karns handyman team is capable of handling fixes and installations for plumbing and electrical fixtures. Our plumbing and electrical services include:
- Ceiling fan installation and repair
- Installing dimmers, timers, and motion detectors
- Installing, testing, and changing the batteries in hard-to-reach smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
- Fixing loose wall switches and electrical sockets
- Lighting fixture repair and installation
- Water heater insulation
- Plumbing fixture installation and repair
- Fixing minor plumbing leaks
- Pipe insulation to avoid frozen pipes
- Sump pump replacement
Why Does My Water Heater Tank Need to Be Insulated?
Conventional tank-style water heaters use a lot of energy by constantly heating a large tank of water to be available whenever you turn on the tap. When the tank is insulated with a foil cover that helps it hold thermal energy in more efficiently, the water heater doesn't need to burn as much energy to keep the water hot. That translates into energy savings on your monthly utility bill.
EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE SERVICE IN KARNS, TN
Whether you are considering selling your house in the near future and are looking for ways to increase property value, or you have no intention of going anywhere and just want your home to be appealing and well-maintained, exterior maintenance services from a Karns handyman will help you accomplish both of these goals.
Appearances are important, but they aren't everything — exterior maintenance includes tasks that can make your home safer. Regular maintenance also keeps your home in good condition, so you can avoid larger repairs for longer.
Our Karns maintenance services for the exterior of your property include:
- Gutter cleaning and gutter repair
- Pressure washing
- Soffit, fascia, and siding board repair
- Deck and porch repair and installation
- Deck and porch refinishing
- Stucco repair
- Fence installation and repair
- Installing holiday lighting and decorations
- Handrail and stair installation
- Window repair
- Screen door, storm door, and exterior door repair and installation
- Patio furniture assembly
- Exterior trim repair and painting
- Awning installation
What Are Soffits and Fascia Boards?
You probably see these two parts of your roofline every time you look at your house, but many homeowners don't know their names. Fascia boards cap off the edge of your roof eaves, running parallel to your house’s exterior wall. Soffit boards are ventilated with holes or slats and cover the underside of the roof eaves; they are what you would see if you stood next to an exterior wall and looked straight up. They allow rising heat and excess humidity to be vented out of the attic space.
Looking For a Karns Handyman? We Are Your Local Experts!
When you hire a handyman to work on your property, you want to make sure they are competent and trustworthy. But you also want them to treat you and your property with respect. You can always rely on Mr. Handyman of West Knoxville for superior workmanship and excellent customer service.
Contact us today to make a request, and we will show you why we're considered the smart choice for dependable Karns handyman services. We’ll even help you gather inspirational ideas for your next Karns home remodel.