Doors get slammed day in and day out. They swing open with a strong breeze, and with time, the hinges, wood, and hardware begin to break. Doors aren’t complicated features, but they are incredibly important in our everyday lives. If you’ve begun to notice cracks, damaged weather stripping, or creaky hinges, it may be time to get a Walpole door replacement service.
There’s no one better for the job than your Walpole handyman. As a part of the dedicated team at Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County & S. Shore, we’ll help replace your damaged door to ensure your home and family are kept safe. Give our excellent customer service team a call today or continue reading to learn more about our professional service.
About Our Walpole Door Replacement Service
The doors to your home serve an important purpose: keep out unwanted guests. Whether those guests are intruders, nosy neighbors, or actual pests, an open, damaged door is practically an invitation for predators to mosey on in. But aside from keeping your home and family safe, your exterior doors also help regulate the environment inside your house. Gaps in your doors can let the outside air in, and regardless of the time of year, that’s certainly not something you want if you’re interested in maintaining an affordable energy bill.
As for interior doors, they get a similar amount of abuse. You may hear loud creaking, see cracks in the wood, or find that a hinge needs to be replaced. While interior doors aren’t as important in regulating temperature in homes, they can help keep cool air in designated rooms and provide privacy. The replacement process for both interior and exterior doors is similar, but there’s one major difference. Exterior doors come with a prehung option, meaning we can pop the entire door and frame out of your entrance and fit in a new one.
Types of Doors We Replace
Our team is qualified in door replacement of all kinds. We know that Walpole residents like yourself make many different design choices when building or remodeling a home, which is why we take pride in the wide range of doors we can replace. A few of the most common include:
- Sliding glass doors
- Patio doors
- Wooden doors
- Entry doors
- Folding doors
- Closet doors
- Steel doors
- Fiberglass doors
Didn’t see your exact door on the list? Don’t sweat it! Our extensive experience in Walpole door replacement means we can tackle most types of interior and exterior doors. How exactly does the replacement process work? It’s slightly different for each type of door, but in general, it involves a multistep process which we’ve condensed into three parts below.
- The first thing that needs to be done before we can progress is to measure your old door. This is the easiest way to ensure that your new door will fit in its place and will help you prepare the new door to avoid the need for multiple adjustments once it’s installed. We’ll measure the door size, jamb width, rough opening, and exterior opening.
- Then comes the actual removal. During this step, we’ll tap the hinge pins loose and swing the door off its hinges, being very careful not to touch the surrounding areas of your home.
- Next, we’ll need to pry the old trim loose and remove the jambs if we are installing a prehung door. If not, then you may wish to keep your existing trim, and the process becomes a little easier.
Prepare & Install the Sill
- If we find any rotten wood after we remove the jambs, we’ll need to replace it.
- Preparation is, perhaps, the most important part of a Walpole door replacement project. During this step, we’ll check all the elements of the new door that is to be installed to ensure it will fit properly in the existing area. From leveling the sill to setting the door for a test fit, you can think of this step as a trial run of the proper installation.
- If the door doesn’t fit correctly, we’ll take it out, sand it down, and refit it before laying down flashing tape to waterproof the sill.
Install The Door
- After we apply caulk to create a watertight seal around the sill, we will tack in the prehung door. We’ll make sure that the door is level before plumbing the hinge-side jamb, tacking in the corners, and shimming the hinge-side jamb.
- Next comes replacing the hinge screws and insulating around the door.
- Interior trim must then be installed to complete the set-up. This includes cutting and beveling new trim.
This quick walkthrough should give you a rough idea of what’s involved in a Walpole door replacement. If you have any questions about what the actual process to replace your unique door will be like, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Mr. Handyman Is Your Top Choice For Door Replacement in Walpole, MA
If you were unsure about what was involved in a Walpole door installation, we hope the above walkthrough helped. As you can see, there are many steps and tools required to perform the job correctly. If just one of these steps doesn’t go properly, it may lead to squeaky hinges or an off-level door.
That’s one of the benefits of choosing a professional, experienced handyman for the job. At Mr. Handyman of Central - Eastern Norfolk County & S. Shore, our team has an average experience of 10 years, equating to more than a few door replacements. While our expert technicians have a breadth of experience and skills, you can be sure that those with ample experience installing doors will arrive for the job. What’s more, we’ll be on time, in uniform, and ready to get to work.
Backing our work with a Done Right Promise, we guarantee a job well done. Need more information? Check out our customer reviews or give our friendly customer service team a call today! We’re proud to serve locals in Plymouth, Westwood, Milton, and beyond!
FAQs About Walpole Door Replacement
What Are Some Signs I Need Door Replacement in Walpole, MA?
Some signs that you need door replacement are more obvious than others. You may want to replace your door to simply switch up the look. Certain types of damage also call for a complete replacement of your door. Be on the lookout for:
- Damaged weather stripping
- Drafts in your entryway
- Rising utility bills
- Pest invasion
- Obvious signs of damage (cracks, chipping, dents)
- Wood rot
- Broken glass
- Noisy doors
Not all of these call for a complete door replacement, but if you have more than one at a time, it may make sense to replace your door rather than repair it. Call our professional technicians to find out if interior or exterior door repairs or replacements are the right choice for your home.
Can You Replace a Door Without Replacing a Frame?
The door frame is what secures your door in place. When it’s damaged, it could compromise the safety of your home. If the frame of your existing door is in good shape and your new door is the same size as your previous door, yes, you can replace a door without replacing the frame. Frames will often take on similar damages as doors do, so if you see dents, scratches, warping, rotten wood, or cracks, you will need to replace it.
Not sure whether your door frame needs to be replaced as well as your door? A qualified technician will let you know during your initial inspection.
What are the Benefits of a Walpole Door Replacement Service?
When you think about the main purpose of a door, you can probably imagine a few of the benefits having a secure new door will bring. The even better news about installing a new door? There are more benefits than you may initially think. Let’s take a look at them all.
- Improves safety. This is the most obvious benefit of a new Walpole door replacement. Damaged or crooked doors are easy to break into, and they may not lock properly. Getting a new door will give you peace of mind knowing your family is safe.
- Saves money. Who doesn’t want to save money on their utility bills each month? A door with damaged weather stripping, cracks, and gaps will let extreme temperatures in from outside, causing your HVAC system to work harder than it should to regulate temperature.
- Stops pests. Pets really want to be inside your home. Like you, they’re looking for a sheltered place to make their own, and when they see a gap in your door, they bee-line inside to nest. Keep pests out of your home with a secure new door.
Is a Walpole Door Replacement Expensive?
The cost for door replacement varies from home to home. It depends on the type of door you're installing and the complexity of the project. To get an accurate estimate in person, we recommend booking an appointment with our experienced technicians. They will provide a formal cost estimate upon evaluating your project.
Stay Safe & Secure - Call Mr. Handyman For Walpole Door Replacement Today!
Replacing your door isn’t just a matter of increasing curb appeal; it’s a matter of safety. With so many advantages, getting a new door is a smart choice for any homeowner who wants to keep their house secure and their energy bills low. Mr. Handyman of Central-Eastern Norfolk County & S. Shore is the easy pick for your improvement project. We're residents’ and businesses' top choice for repairs, replacements, and installations for a reason.
With decades of combined experience, guaranteed workmanship, quality products, and a wide service offering, we can take care of your Walpole door replacement, aging in place service, and tile repair services in one go. Call our valued customer care team today to learn more or to schedule a service!