Dallas Fence Installation Services
There are a lot of reasons why homeowners seek out Dallas fence installation services. Maybe you're looking for ways to boost curb appeal and property value. Maybe your old fence has seen better days—or better decades. Maybe you live in a busy area and want to stop casual trespassers from wandering on to your property. Maybe you're about to welcome a little bundle of joy or bring home a new puppy and you want to make sure they're safe when playing in the yard. The right fence installation in Dallas, TX can solve all those problems at once.
Fences may seem like pretty simple structures, and that's because they are. But the process of Dallas fence installation can be more complex than many people suspect because there's a lot to consider, from choosing the perfect fencing material option for your property to making sure your plan is in compliance with municipal regulations and HOA standards.
When it's time to get started on fence installation, Dallas, TX home and business owners can rely on their experienced, local Dallas handyman to get the job done right. At Mr. Handyman of Dallas, our skilled team has the expertise to handle a wide range of maintenance, repair, installation and improvement tasks. We've put up many fences in Dallas and nearby communities in the greater Dallas area, so we are familiar with local regulations and trained in the best practices for fence installation services.
Selecting the Best Type of Fencing for Dallas Fence Installation
From classic white picket fences that practically shout "Americana!" to strictly practical chain link structures, there is a wide variety of fence materials available to choose from for your Dallas fence installation. There's no universally correct choice, of course—what type of fence works best for your property and household depends on factors such as the size and shape of the space that's being enclosed, local regulations and rules governing height and material, and the main purpose of the structure. Each option comes with its own pros and cons, and knowing a bit about those can help make the decision much easier. Here are some of the types that may be a good fit for your property:
- Wood Fence: Wood fencing is a classic for a reason—it's attractive, easy to work with and incredibly versatile, so there's no end to the ways it can be constructed. However, it is vulnerable to rotting and needs regular maintenance to keep it in good condition.
- Chain Link Fence: Chain link fencing is highly utilitarian. It's an inexpensive, easy to install, durable option that is virtually maintenance-free, but it has the downside of not being very visually appealing.
- Vinyl Fence: Vinyl fencing is also durable and low-maintenance, but has more going for it on the appearance side because it comes in such a vast array of styles and colors. It is vulnerable to fading in direct sunlight and upfront installation costs are typically higher than they are for a wooden fence.
- Aluminum Fence: Aluminum has a surprisingly classy, unobtrusive look as well as being durable and inexpensive, but it's not necessarily the right choice for a security or privacy fence.
- Wrought Iron Fence: Wrought iron is a luxury option with a high upfront cost for installation. However, it's very attractive and charming. It's also extremely durable and relatively low maintenance—with a coat of anti-rust paint every few years, it can last for more than a century.
Planning Tips for a Dallas Fence Installation
For any installation or improvement project, including fence installation, Dallas, TX homeowners should set aside a little time to take care of some preliminary steps that will help the entire project go smoothly without any cause for stress. Here are a few things to consider that may benefit you later on in the process.
Research Local Dallas Fence Installation Regulations
Most cities and/or states have a set of regulations that govern local building codes for fences and other accessory structures, and naturally Dallas, Texas is no exception. The local fence regulations laid out by the City of Dallas are relatively straightforward, but it's still helpful to understand them in advance of making any concrete plans about where your structure will be situated, how high it will be and other factors.
So what are the regulations that pertain to Dallas fence installation? Here are some of the basics to keep in mind:
- A permit is not required if you are putting up a fence that is less than four feet tall in a front yard setback or six feet tall elsewhere.
- Permit requirements may be different if you live in a special zoning area such as a historic district, conservation district or planned development district.
- Barrier structures may not exceed four feet in height in a required front yard setback, or nine feet in height on the rest of a lot.
- Barriers may not be located in easements.
- There must be access points in your side and back yard structures for firefighters.
- Barbed wire fences are allowed, but the barbed wire portion must be a minimum of six feet above grade and must not stick out past the property boundary.
Get a Property Survey Done
You're not required to have a property survey done on your land before you put up a Dallas fence installation. Practical borders between residential properties can move quite a distance away from where they are officially recorded as being, but even so, it can be a good idea. Unofficial property boundaries have a way of shifting slowly over the years due to interference from landscaping changes, shifting soil, out-buildings and because people assume they know where the property line is and put up a fence without checking.
Having a simple land survey done can go a long way toward avoiding a difficult situation with your neighbors if there's any possibility that a dispute could arise about where exactly the true line is between your land and theirs. With the official property records in hand, you'll know your new installation is within your borders and fully compliant.
Call 811 Before You Dig
Your backyard may look pristine and unspoiled, but there is potentially quite a lot going on just a few feet beneath the soil, including electrical and plumbing lines. When the professionals at Mr. Handyman of Dallas take care of fence installation, Dallas, TX homeowners can rest assured that we make sure we have all the information we need to dig holes for fence posts safely and without damaging any buried utility lines. But if you plan to do any digging yourself, even if it's just in your own backyard, it's important to call 811 at least two days before you dig so you have the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're not going to run into trouble a few feet down.
Why You Should Leave Dallas Fence Installation to Mr. Handyman
From the very first contact to consultation to installation to the reveal of your finished fencing project, our team of multi-skilled handyman professionals are committed to going above and beyond to ensure you are completely happy with not only the results of our work, but the entire process of making it all happen. You count on us for expert Dallas fence installation and a range of other services, including fence staining, painting and repair. We're the reputable fence installers that Dallas homeowners and business owners alike trust for quality fences and excellent service.
Dallas Fence Installation for Commercial Properties
Our services such as Dallas fence installation aren't just needed by homeowners. Business owners in Dallas, TX often need or want commercial fencing on their business property. We understand that commercial needs are different from those of a residential property, and our fence company has the experience and skill to tackle commercial installations along with dozens of other commercial handyman services. Let us take the burden of repair, maintenance and installation tasks off your shoulders so you can focus on pleasing your customers and growing your business success.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fence Installation in Dallas, TX
What are Some Signs that Indicate I Need a Replacement Dallas Fence Installation?
If you're considering Dallas fence installation to replace an existing structure, you may be wondering if it's time to get it done right now, or if your old structure can hang in there for another couple of years. To assess its condition, walk along both sides of the structure (if you have access to both sides) and examine it from multiple angles for signs that a replacement is needed, such as:
- Rotten timber that is soft, discolored or crumbling apart
- Missing or broken pickets
- Gray, weathered wood
- Strips of paint are peeling off
- Metal fence has rust or other corrosion
- It's hard to get the gate opened or closed
- Posts are leaning and shift when you touch them
- Sagging chain links panels
- Parts of the structure other than posts are making contact with ground
- Concrete footings on posts are exposed due to soil erosion
- Patches of vinyl have sun-fading damage
- Broken, creaking or misaligned latch on gate
Can I Just Get Repairs Instead of a Complete Fence Replacement?
This is a fair question to ask before you dive into any big replacement installation project, because you don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater if your structure is in reasonably good shape and just needs some basic help from a Dallas fence repair professional. On the other hand, there's no point in wasting time, money and effort on repairs if the damage is too extensive and replacement would actually be more cost-effective.
If there's only a few spots of damage here and there, or a problem that's relatively simple to solve like a couple of missing pickets, your Dallas handyman can take care of it efficiently and effectively with the right repair strategy. Numerous smaller (or not-so-small) repairs across a large percentage of the structure would be very time-consuming and therefore more costly than just taking the whole thing down and putting a new one up. After all that, the results of widespread or major repairs likely wouldn't be as satisfactory as a new installation. In a situation like that, a new Dallas fence installation is clearly the way to go. Here are a few scenarios in which replacement is the best option:
- More than around 25% of the entire structure has been affected by damaging factors such as rough storms, neglect or deterioration over time
- It has suffered sudden, extensive impact damage from a vehicle crash or falling tree branch
- Destructive insects such as carpenter ants or termites are nesting in the structure
- You want to increase property value and appeal with a new style refresh
What's the Best Way to Maintain My New Dallas Fence Installation?
Maintenance methods are, of course, going to vary according to the material you've chosen. Metal structures typically don't need too much—it's a good idea to monitor them for rust now and then, and depending on the type of metal, they may need anti-rust paint. Wood can be more of a chore for maintenance because it's susceptible to wood rot. The best way to avoid wood rot is with regular cleaning and refinishing to seal out moisture. Not up to the task of fence maintenance? No problem—our handyman team can take care of that for you as well.
Trust the Expert Team at Mr. Handyman for Dallas Fence Installation
Are you living in Dallas, TX or a nearby part of the Dallas area such as Balch Springs, Addison or Lancaster? You can count on your local handyman at Mr. Handyman of Dallas to be there for you. We are proud to provide the topmost standards of awesome customer service and experienced workmanship.
Pick up the phone and get in touch with us today at 972-627-4518 to chat with our customer service staff about your dream fence and schedule an appointment to get started on your next fence project.