Every flooring type has its own unique features and characteristics to complement your home’s interior design. It’s important to choose the right type for your personal needs, from functionality to aesthetics, and comfort to safety. While weighing out the pros and cons, it’s important to think about the level of maintenance and future repair work you might need.
Our team at Mr. Handyman always encourages our clients to think about the future and ask themselves questions such as, “Will we have kids and pets?” or “How much foot traffic should our flooring be able to handle?” Knowing the answers will go a long way and save you from future floor repairs. Dallas, TX property owners who want to keep repairs to a minimum are recommended to look at their preferences in greater detail and compare them to what they actually need. Safety, durability, and cost-effectiveness are also important factors.
Here are some of the most commonly used flooring types, including common problems and pros and cons to help you evaluate what might be more suitable for your home and family.
Natural wood lovers find it hard to resist if they have access to sustainable, local lumber, ranging from several types of oak to hickory and mesquite. Not only does this save you money on import fees, but you also know exactly what the material is and where it comes from. With the assistance of Mr. Handyman, you will get the best use out of your sustainably sourced Texas hardwood because we know the kind of care and maintenance it needs to last for years.
We all know how harsh the Texas climate can be and how it affects natural materials like wood floors. Humid summers have a negative impact on hardwood boards and thus, they require special care. In order to keep your natural wood floors exceptional, our team offers a wide range of services for hardwood floor repair in Dallas.
Although it contains natural wood materials, engineered wood has undergone treatments to become more resilient against moisture. While natural wood’s core is solid, the engineered type has a slightly lower-quality plywood core made of scrap, shredded fiber, and adhesives. Yet, the engineered type provides you with both efficiency and aesthetics with fewer maintenance requirements than its natural counterparts. With engineered wood, you may not need as many appointments for flooring repair, but our team can still meet your needs when you have damage that needs to be addressed.
LUXURY VINYL PLANK
Also known by its abbreviation LVP, luxury vinyl planks provide a similar appearance to hardwood, except that they are crack- and scratch-resistant. Although LVP is not as thick, despite the six to eight layers of PVC sheets, it’s highly durable and able to handle heavy foot traffic.
LVP is a common floor type in condominiums because it’s more affordable and has low-maintenance needs. Nowadays, it’s also widely used in family homes and commercial spaces due to its professional look and sleekness. While it has many benefits related to durability, LVP is not immune to the need for floor repair. Dallas, TX homeowners with LVP should make note of how it was installed. Typically, larger rooms have a glued LVP system that’s securely attached to the subfloor, whereas designated rooms will likely have a click-and-lock system. The type of installation process completed for your LVP will have an effect on your options for flooring repairs.
Although luxury vinyl planks are known to hold out against any type of climate, they’re still sensitive to sunlight, and excessive moisture can always find its way inside your flooring and cause problems. Cupping and curling are common issues, as well as warping during constant temperature fluctuations. If you see issues with your LVP, don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at Mr. Handyman for floor repair in Dallas.
Laminate flooring is as highly desired as luxury vinyl, except that laminate is cheaper, which is not to say it’s low-quality. On the contrary, over the last few decades, laminate material has been enhanced to be more functional and durable. Made of several layers of synthetic softwood fibers, melamine, and a resin binder, laminate flooring is produced to mimic wood or stone floors. Thanks to enhanced technologies, the laminate surface is made of a highly-protective design that sometimes contains aluminum crystals to make the floorboards ultra scratch- and water-resistant.
Unlike some types of flooring, you don’t glue laminate onto the subfloor. The installation process is solely based on a sturdy locking mechanism where planks are simply clicked together. Even if your laminate works fine for years, your subfloor or concrete slab could still show signs of sensitivity towards excess moisture in your home and cause your laminate to lift, buckle, or peak. Fixing those problems may not be as simple as mere floor repairs. Dallas, TX property owners may have to investigate the overall condition and health of their subfloor too. Because laminate is installed in a way where it floats over concrete floors, common problems that occur related to uneven patches or bouncing may require an underlayment to fix. The experts at Mr. Handyman can take a closer look to determine the best solution for fixing your laminate flooring.
Every home is likely to have some type of tile installed in high-moisture areas, from kitchens to bathrooms to laundry rooms. For thousands of years, tile has proven to be long-lasting, water-resistant, and low-maintenance. However, the art lies in efficient tile installation and sealing, because many types of tile are known to be made of porous materials. Although tile is relatively sturdy and strong, repairs are not uncommon. Crumbling grout lines are common culprits that call for floor repair. Dallas, TX homeowners who have tile systems, whether on the wall or floor, are recommended to frequently check on their grout lines because sealants tend to wear off within a year or two, depending on the moisture levels. It’s important to note that you may also need tile floor repairs in Dallas for other issues, such as cracked or scratched tiles. Fixing these issues fast is important, as they could lead to worse problems over time.
Signs You Need Floor Repair in Dallas TX
Simply applying a shiny coat of floor restorer on your hardwood system without investigating underlying issues could lead to a number of bigger problems in the future where simple repairs will no longer suffice and a replacement is required to provide long-term results.
Whichever flooring system you choose, damage can occur either naturally or accidentally. In many scenarios, it’s the wrong type of maintenance, overlooked repairs, and even misdiagnosed issues that lead to inevitable floor repairs. Dallas, TX homeowners who notice any of the warning signs below should immediately get in touch with their local handyman service professional.
- Wear and Tear: If you notice early signs of wear and tear after a few years of installation, your floors have either not received proper installation or have not been looked after well. Does the surface look fade, scuffed, or scratched? Surface damage may be unsightly but may come across as “not serious” to some homeowners. But the truth is that wear and tear can signal a more serious problem as it allows moisture and pests to infiltrate the material. If you don’t want to change your entire floor too soon, your local handyman recommends investing in maintenance and small repair services today.
- Squeaky Boards: Squeaky boards may indicate that you simply need to refasten your boards, or it could be a sign of poor installation if squeaks and creaks occur right after installing new flooring. In more severe cases, you might have wood rot underneath your boards. This is often most noticeable on stairs where treads squeak as you walk up and down.
- Oversanding: Although hardwood boards require some sanding in their lifetime, it’s also possible to overdo it until the surface becomes too thin and you need a replacement.
- Musty Smells: If your flooring’s surface looks fine but a musty smell tells you otherwise, you may have moisture damage underneath. There are several reasons for it. It could be the humid climate or spills and indoor pet accidents that have soaked into your materials, affecting your subfloor. Your local handyman will determine how bad the damage is. In these situations, the solution is typically replacement, rather than floor repairs.
- Water Damage: Unfortunately, many homeowners use too much water to clean their hardwood, laminate, or LVP, and often without thoroughly inspecting their flooring, not to mention that these materials merely require dry mopping or vacuuming. Signs of water damage include surface damage like discoloration, unpleasant odors, and cracking.
- Crumbling Grout: Tiles are designed to last for over 50 years, given the installation and sealing process was done properly. However, that protective coating wears out over time, even more so if you use strong chemicals for cleaning. Since standard grout is sensitive to moisture, it will begin to crack once the sealant wears out. When it comes to tile floor repairs in Dallas, you can rely on Mr. Handyman to fix crumbling grout and many other issues...
How to Avoid Needing Floor Repairs in Dallas, TX:
Dallas homes that are equipped with hardwood floors, luxury vinyl planks, or laminate should not be cleaned with too much water. Besides vacuuming and sweeping, dry mopping with microfiber materials are the best cleaning methods to use if all you want is to remove loose debris. Wet mops are best for stain removal and disinfection but should always be used with care.
If you want to better protect specific areas, laying down mats, runners, and throw rugs will help control certain high-traffic areas. Also, before installing vinyl planks, always check with the manufacturer to confirm whether the product has UV inhibitors for light resistance.
Choose Mr. Handyman for Your Floor Repairs in Dallas, TX
Whether you live in downtown Dallas or a nearby community such as University Park, Rose Hill, or Las Colinas, you can get the same expert workmanship and outstanding quality of service from the team of professionals at Mr. Handyman of Dallas. We cover everything from floor repair to baseboard repair and siding repair.
Give us a call today to speak with our friendly customer service team and learn more about our reliable floor services in Dallas or to schedule a convenient appointment time for inspection and consultation. Or, take a look at some of our local reviews to learn more about Mr. Handyman of Dallas.