Your Trusted Handyman in Johns Island, SC
Considered South Carolina’s largest island with a population of 21,500, Johns Island offers its residents a rural feel. Not only does it attract young professionals and retirees, but also young families that want to settle in a new home. Most residents in and around Johns Island own their homes so they can be near parks, other amenities and be part of this embracing community, which means having a local, reliable Johns Island handyman is important for a lot of people.
Owning a home doesn’t come without responsibilities, but when you think about your full-time job and taking care of your family or other commitments, home maintenance may be the last thing on your mind. You want to look forward to a weekend where you can wind down, rest or hang out with friends and family. While everything around your home may appear to be in good shape, you may still want to inspect certain areas and prepare them for the possible effects of high-impact seasons, such as those consistent days of rain that we get in June and July. When was the last time you checked your gutters? Did you recently have a foundation inspection?
You are probably raising an eyebrow, thinking, “Good point!” That’s what your local Johns Island handyman is geared up for. We don’t want you to think that you’re on your own when it comes to home maintenance, repairs and improvements. Mr. Handyman of Charleston and Summerville is a locally-owned and operated business that has been providing Johns Island and nearby communities with professional handyman services for many years. We have been in business for 40 years and built an excellent team of service technicians who have passed their criminal background checks and drug screens. Whether for minor home repairs or major improvement projects, you can count on your Johns Island handyman to get it done right.
Johns Island Handyman Services for Residential Properties
Summers in South Carolina are hot and humid, but there’s nothing like finding shelter in the shade. But if your house is well-protected by trees, there are some pros and cons to keep in mind. Also, knowing that South Carolina’s coastal region has sandy soil (which geologists refer to as young soil that rests on unstratified loose sediment), we need to remember that our houses—whether new or old—may experience more soil shifting than houses in other regions. This is when routine inspections and minor repair services come in handy to help ensure your home is not at risk of any potential damage. We guarantee that our professional Johns Island handyman services will give you the peace of mind that you need.
It’s not always in your power to think of everything, and despite taking responsibility to care for our home, you may not get the results that you hoped for. Often, it’s because of external forces for which people are not prepared or underlying problems that go undetected—but it doesn’t have to be this way. Mr. Handyman of Charleston and Summerville offers many services that will help you stay on top of your maintenance and repairs. Remember that you’re not alone. We’re here to help you get all the work out of the way.
Whether it’s before or after the wet season, Johns Island property owners are lovers of the outdoors, and many of them spend most of their time on their patio, porch or deck with a cold beverage. It may be too hot to cook inside your home, so why not throw something on your barbecue instead? But wait! When was the last time you had your deck boards inspected? When did you last stain it? If you don’t remember, it’s surely time to take some safety precautions before you plan to host a large gathering.
Whether you have a new or old deck, routine maintenance is crucial in keeping it safe for you and people in your household. Wooden decks need sanding, staining and sealing to prevent weather damage, wood rot and termite damage. It’s best to incorporate deck maintenance into your spring cleaning just to have it out of the way and be ready to enjoy the exterior of your property sooner than later.
If your deck has seen better days, it’s probably time to get in touch with your local handyman. Johns Island, SC property owners can rest easy when they choose us for deck repair. We have installed, repaired and maintained many decks throughout Charleston County and many nearby areas. Moreover, we care about your safety, which is why our inspection and repair services include:
- Replacing damaged posts and planks
- Sanding, staining and painting wooden surfaces
- Replacing moldy sections
- Weather proofing and sealing
- Replacing broken steps
- Tightening loose railings
- Flattening protruding screws and nails
That said, each deck is unique and built with different materials that require different types of maintenance. Wood materials are highly-regarded but not always easy to maintain with their higher vulnerability to wood rot and other issues. Luckily, there are some alternatives. Popular deck types include:
- Pressure-treated wood: This type is a common and cost-effective decking material that you’ll find in many homes. Injected with moisture and bug-resistant preservatives, pressure-treated wood needs annual maintenance that includes refinishing.
- Composite: Composite resembles real wood, but composite decks are actually made of a blend of wood fibers, plastic film and other additives to create resilience and durability. Composite is expensive but could save you money in the long run due to its low-maintenance needs and high resistance to pests and rot. Unlike most wood materials, it lasts up to 30 years with minimum requirements for repairs.
If you’re not a DIY expert, don’t dedicate your weekend to deck repair; instead, leave it to your local handyman. Johns Island, SC homes can all benefit from an appointment with expert service professionals who have the skills and tools needed to make a wide range of repairs.
More Johns Island Handyman Services for Home Maintenance:
As your most versatile handyman, Johns Island, SC homeowners can benefit from a wide range of services when they choose us. We have a lot more up our sleeves. Whether you need your home’s interior or exterior looked at, we have many maintenance services to meet your needs.
- Gutter Cleaning: It’s crucial to keep your gutters free from debris before the rain season kicks off. This way, stormwater will be appropriately diverted from your home, keeping your roof, siding and foundation safe.
- Pressure Washing: Deck, fences, siding and hardscapes can collect a lot of grime and other stubborn substances. Whether you need effective pressure washing services or soft washing, we’ll ensure your property is clean and sanitized.
- Electrical Services: We meant it when we said we were versatile. Our team is licensed and insured to do electrical work at your home. Whether you need a ceiling fan installation or are planning to rearrange your lighting system, we can get the job done.
- Fence Installation and Repair: Fences mark your territory and keep kids and pets safe. We install a wide range of fence types and can even offer qualified services for welding projects like building iron gates. As your Johns Island handyman, we can meet all your needs for fence repair and installation.
Coastal towns in South Carolina experience increased salinity in the air and Johns Island is affected by this too. For this reason, some property owners have steered clear from metal and certain types of wooden doors, because corrosion and wood rot are time-consuming issues and prevent doors from reaching their maximum lifespans. If you have had metal doors that rusted or wooden doors that swelled or rotted, you have probably opted for something more weather-resistant like fiberglass. Made of compression-molded fiberglass, these doors have three major components: skin, frame and core. The core consists of rigid insulation (typically polyurethane material) and glass-reinforced polymer, whereas the frame is made of either wood or composite.
As your Johns Island handyman, we are here to meet your needs for door installation and repair, including for popular types of doors like fiberglass doors. Here as some typical door issues that we help Johns Island homeowners fix:
- Termite damage
- Wood rot repair
- Replacing hinges with corrosion resistant stainless steel
- Peeling paint
- Misaligned wheels
- Handle and knob replacement
- Lock replacement
- Latch adjustment
- Pet door repair
That said, it’s important to maintain your door frames too because issues with the frame could also be damaging for the nearby walls and ceiling. The casing, along with other trim areas are prone to cracks or gaps. Routine inspections and handyman services that include caulking and sanding will ensure your door continues to perform well and protect your home against the outdoors.
There are many reasons for needing drywall repair. Whether it’s your home settling, water damage or regular wear and tear, those issues all lead to cracks, stains and holes, all of which need thorough inspections from a knowledgeable handyman to determine what type of repair will resolve the issue.
No one knows your home better than you, not even your local handyman. Johns Island, SC property owners who experience drywall damage know that it must be fixed. From plumbing issues to squeaky rodents behind walls, let’s expand on the signs of drywall damage that need immediate action:
- Holes in drywall: Determining the severity can be easy if you know exactly what the cause was. You might have bumped a piece of furniture into your drywall or have a popped nail that indicates you need to refasten a panel back onto the wall stud. But if you think the holes are caused by something more severe, your Johns Island recommends checking your sidings for cracks. If so, you might have moisture damage that has attracted termites.
- Rodents: These little creatures are bendy and can slip through all sorts of cracks. They would have chewed through your wall material and will continue to nest. We recommend that you call pest control and then your local handyman. Johns Island, SC homeowners can rest assured that we will efficiently replace your drywall.
- Water damage: From heavy rains to plumbing issues, there are many types of water damage that affect drywall. If the damage is caused by bad weather, and you experience wet spots and musty smells, you possibly have a leak in your roof either caused by clogged gutters or damaged soffits and fascia. Remember that weather related damage that you experience inside has likely done harm to your home’s exterior first. For your safety and your home's structural stability, anything that suffered from water damage should be replaced by an experienced handyman.
Other Areas We can Fix With Our Repair Services Include:
- Soffits and fascia
- Ventilation systems
- Plumbing fixtures
- Electrical wiring
Mr. Handyman is Your Local Repair and Maintenance Expert in Johns Island, SC!Tired of looking at that long, unmanageable to-do list? Before you type in “Johns Island handyman near me,” look no further! Leave it in the hands of the service providers at Mr. Handyman of Charleston and Summerville, and we'll get every task ticked off efficiently, so you can sit back, relax and look forward to an enhanced experience at your home or business.
From kitchen remodeling service to basic repair services like ceiling repair or outdoor carpentry repair, we do it all. As a licensed home builder, you won’t find a more versatile team that provides expert Johns Island handyman services, as well as service in other nearby areas like North Charleston and Mount Pleasant.
Get in contact with us today by picking up the phone and calling 843-940-7525 to make a service request for a convenient appointment time or to chat with our knowledgeable customer service staff about why we are considered the number one choice for dependable Johns Island handyman services!