How Much Does Fence Installation Cost?
Whether you’re considering replacing an old fence, installing a new one, or adding fence posts (or even barbed wire!) several things will impact the final costs. When determining how much your fence installation will cost, consider factors like where you live, the size and type of fence you want to install, site preparation, and customization, which will all factor into how much you’ll pay. We’ll explain these factors in more detail so you’ll have a more accurate understanding of fence installation and replacement costs.
Factors Affecting Fence Installation Cost
Figuring out how much a fence installation costs depends on a variety of factors. Some elements that can affect the cost of your fence project include:
- Type of Fence: What type of look are you going for? A wood fence will cost more than a chain-link fence, but it’s worth paying extra if you value privacy and aesthetics. A fence that provides more privacy and is aesthetically pleasing is worth a higher price for many homeowners. Other types, such as barbed wire fencing, also need consideration.
- Fence Material: Are you using wood, vinyl, chain-link, aluminum, PVC, or composite materials? Each type of material has a different price point.
- Fence Size: The size of the area you want fenced in and how long and tall you want your fence will play a large role in your installation cost. Fencing in a larger area will increase material and labor costs.
- Site Preparation: If a lot of debris needs to be removed (shrubs, bushes, and/or trees) or an existing fence needs to be removed, this will increase the overall expenses.
- Customizations: Does your new fence require customizations of any sort – either in size or with ornamental decorations? Such features could affect your cost, too.
- Labor: If your installation project requires a lot of manpower, it will likely increase your cost, especially when dealing with large fence panels that require two or more people to install. In addition, if heavy equipment like a backhoe or excavator is necessary, this will also increase the overall costs.
- Gates and Opens: Adding multiple gates or openings requires additional hardware, which could increase your costs.
- Permitting: Confirm HOA and local municipality requirements before starting your fence project. Some areas require a permit to install a fence. It’s best to check before any work is started. If permits are required, it will be added to the cost of the project.
All of these factors will make a difference in how much your fence installation will cost.
Estimating Costs Based on Fence Style
So, how much does fence or fence post installation cost? The best way to get an accurate estimate on the costs to replace or install a new fence is to call a local pro. A professional will survey your land, determine how much work and material is needed, request permits, and give you an accurate estimate based on the fence material and style you choose.
For example, the cost to install a white vinyl fence will be higher than chain-link fence installation because the material used for chain-link is cheaper. An expert will be able to explain the difference between each style and help you select the best one for your needs and budget.
How to Save Money on Fence Installation
If you have concerns about how much it costs to replace an old fence or install a new one, we have good news! There are some ways to save money on your fence installation. Here are some things that can help lower the overall costs of your fence project:
- Do the site prep and old fence removal (if necessary) yourself.
- Select a less expensive fence material.
- Fence in a smaller area or do it in sections over a period of time.
If you’re willing to do some of the work, select a lower-grade material, and fence your property in sections, you can save some money on the initial costs. Speak with a professional fence installer first, get a quote, and then discuss options and ideas on how to lower the price.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional
If time, skill, and experience are not on your side, it’s best to find a local professional. A professional will have the expertise and equipment needed to get the job done quickly, safely, and efficiently. Saving yourself the headache of figuring it all out is worth the costs to replace or install a new fence or fence posts! They will also be familiar with the different types of fence material and styles and can suggest which type is best suited for your needs. This peace of mind and assurance that the job will be done right is well worth the price of your new fence.
Looking for Fence Installation Near You?
Replacing an old fence or installing a new one is a time and labor-intensive job. Making sure the area is prepared for the new fence is also very important. This may require renting heavy equipment and other tasks that you may not be comfortable with doing. The best way to avoid stress and the extra time and effort required is to give your local Mr. Handyman® a call!The experienced team at Mr. Handyman has the expertise and tools needed to get the job done right the first time. Plus, all Mr. Handyman projects are backed by the Neighborly Done Right Promise™, which ensures your satisfaction. If you’re ready to install a beautiful new fence or replace an old one, request service today!