Problems You Can Avoid with Mr. Handyman’s Services for Gutter Cleaning, Flower Mound TX
What exactly do overflowing, broken rainwater disposal systems do to your home? Here are some of the most grievous negative effects that can occur without Flower Mound gutter cleaning service from a qualified handyman professional:
- Leaks: When water flow is blocked, it pools on your roof and around fascia boards instead, causing a whole host of roofing issues that include deteriorated shingles, leaky roofs, and cracked, rotting, or otherwise damaged fascia boards (the part of your eaves that runs parallel to the exterior wall, usually where the troughs are mounted).
- Rotting Wood: When wood has a high moisture content, it becomes susceptible to wood rot, a form of decay that affects damp timber specifically. Window frames and door frames are often made of timber, and rotten wood lets even more moisture into your walls.
- Water Damage: Once moisture gets past exterior home siding that has been damaged by excessive water incursion, as well as through deteriorated window frames and door jambs, it festers inside walls and can encourage problems such as mildew growth. Visible signs of interior water damage include stained, soft drywall, rotting floorboards, and leaking ceilings.
- Attic Rain: When strong winds blow standing water out of gutters, it can fly under roof eaves and freeze on soffit boards in winter, causing ice damage. With soffit vents blocked, the attic space can't get enough air circulation, so moisture condenses on rafters and drips down, flattening insulation and causing other water damage issues in a phenomenon known as attic rain.
- Foundation Damage: Water pooling in the soil around your foundation freezes during the winter, constricting the soil and causing cracks in the concrete slab or posts. It can also erode the soil underneath the foundation, causing the house to sink.
- Insect and Rodent Infestations: All the holes, cracks, and gaps caused by water damage are invitations for pests such as squirrels, rats, and insects to invade your home and bring dozens of their friends along with them. Infestations are not only unsanitary—some pests (such as termites and carpenter ants) can also cause severe damage to your house.
- Higher Energy Costs: Water incursion degrades the seal around window frames, letting in air drafts that are uncomfortable and causing your energy bill to increase by forcing your heating and cooling system to work harder.
The benefits of gutter cleaning would be the reversal of the above-mentioned problems, which are costly damages that could easily be prevented with routine maintenance from a skilled Flower Mound handyman.
Signs You Need Flower Mound Gutter Cleaning
Because it can have such a big impact on your house, it's important for homeowners to watch out for telltale signs that indicate it's time for Flower Mound gutter cleaning service. If you notice the issues listed below occurring on your property, get in touch with us so we can send our dependable gutter cleaners out to get your gutters clean and fully functional so you can avoid the problems we mentioned above.
Here are some of the major warning signs to look out for.
Overflowing channels are the most common and obvious sign of a rainwater disposal system that is clogged and desperately needs a good cleaning. If you can see water streaming over the side of your roof-edge channels when it rains, they need professional gutter cleaning—and if they're that badly clogged, there's a good chance they need Flower Mound gutter repair services as well.
Channels Sagging or Pulling Away
You may notice your rainwater disposal system is drooping down in the middle of a section or that it is pulling from your fascia boards and leaving a noticeable gap between your roof and the channel. That's a clear warning that channels are straining under the weight of standing water and debris such as pine needles, making the combined weight far too much for your gutter hangers. Rainwater systems are typically attached to a house's fascia boards, so when they tear off, it damages both your rainwater channels and your fascia, leaving your roof vulnerable to internal water damage.
While you might have to climb a ladder and get a good look in the channels to spot this problem, sometimes it's advanced enough that it's quite obvious from the ground. The dirt, rotting leaves, and other debris that clogs up gutters create mulch, and it's not long before plants start springing up in those ready-made "flower boxes" lining your roof. In addition, the rotting process eats away at the channels themselves, leaving them riddled with holes if they are neglected without Flower Mound gutter cleaning for too long.
Gutter Stripes on Siding
Streaks of rust or black stripes on siding are an early warning sign that your exterior cladding (and many other parts of your exterior) are being affected by a rainwater disposal system that needs gutter cleaning. Flower Mound homeowners who notice streaks of discoloration on their siding should schedule an appointment for a gutter cleaning service as soon as possible.
The Reliable Choice For Gutter Cleaning Flower Mound Can Depend On
You know what to look out for, and you know what issues can lead to the need for repair, but what exactly can we bring to the table in terms of gutter cleaning? Flower Mound residents will be happy to know that Mr. Handyman takes care of a range of gutter cleaning services that are not limited to simply clearing your gutters. While residents may only associate gutter cleaning with removing debris and leaves from gutter systems, hiring a professional team also means your gutters will receive a thorough inspection. This will ensure that all the gutter’s working parts are checked and that any signs of damage are noted and dealt with. So, how exactly will your gutter cleaning service go down? We’ll walk you through the entire process ahead.
- The entire process starts with a thorough inspection of your gutter system. This includes your fascia boards, soffits, siding, and downspouts. We’ll need to assess these systems for signs of damage, as clogged gutters can often lead to tearing, mold, and wood rot.
- If all is good, we’ll go ahead and clear out leaves and debris from your gutter so that they are completely clean. This process may include soft pressure washing service and is the main part of the job that will leave your gutters ready to do their work of directing rainwater away from your house, basement, and foundation.
- While cleaning doesn’t always have to involve repairs, if they are needed, we’ll make them on the spot. It’s important that we perform all necessary repairs so that your gutters can work properly and that your home is protected.
- Since gutters take a beating from the sun in Flower Mound, we’ll re-coat the surfaces to protect them from UV damage.
- Lastly, we’ll talk to you about your options for gutter guards if we think you’ll benefit from them, and if you’d like them installed, we’ll set up an installation date.
Above all else, we want to make sure that your home does not experience any of the negative effects of clogged or damaged gutters. If you would like to add on any additional exterior services to get your home back in tip-top shape, ask us about adding on deck repair or fence repair to your service day as well.
Mr. Handyman is Your Local Expert for Gutter Cleaning, Flower Mound, TX!
Are you looking for someone who can effectively and efficiently take care of gutter cleaning? Flower Mound residents don't have to look any further than the team of repair, installation, and maintenance experts at Mr. Handyman of Flower Mound, Lewisville and Denton for reliable gutter cleaning and numerous additional services such as exterior trim repair, siding replacement, and even home remodeling projects.
When you schedule an appointment for service, rest assured we will arrive on time and in uniform so you know who you're letting into your house. We'll then take the time to evaluate the project and offer our professional recommendation on the best course of action to get your property back in excellent condition, along with an upfront price for what needs to be done. That way, you can make an informed decision about what's best for your house, and you don't have to worry about being surprised by the final bill when the work is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gutter Cleaning – Flower Mound, TX
Why is Gutter Cleaning So Important?
In a nutshell, gutters exist to catch all the rainwater that falls off the edge of your roof and moves it to downspouts where it can exit the system a safe distance away from your house and not cause any harm. But when regular gutter cleaning services are neglected and excess debris such as pine needles, dead leaves, animal nests, dirt, and more pile up in the channels, the water can't get through to the downspouts and ends up spilling over the edge, making the whole system basically useless.
If you're currently reading this and wondering how in the world something as basic as a clogged gutter downspout could really cause severe—or even just noticeable—problems for your house, you may not be aware of how much water we're really discussing here. There's quite a bit of variation in roof size, but the average in Texas probably falls somewhere around 2,000 square feet. One inch of rain falling on a 2,000-square-foot roof produces about 1,240 gallons of water, which is a significant amount. A bathtub holds around 40 gallons, so that's the equivalent of 31 bathtubs of water pouring down on your house every time it rains an inch, or much more if you happen to have a larger roof. Keep in mind that Flower Mound gets an average of 38 inches of rain per year, the same as the national average, which equals around 47,120 gallons falling on your roof annually.
Your roof is designed to withstand that barrage, but the rest of your house is not. Wooden trim, such as window frames and door jambs, are among the components that are most vulnerable to water damage, but it can cause big problems for your siding, foundation, landscaping, hardscaping, and other parts of your property as well, not to mention the interior of your building. If you know someone who has had to handle the time-consuming hassle and expense of severe water damage mitigation, you can be certain they will tell you it's well worth avoiding.
How Often Does My Property Need Gutter Cleaning?
The range of time that can pass without Flower Mound gutter cleaning does vary somewhat based on factors such as harsh weather and proximity to trees. Generally speaking, we recommend that homeowners have their handyman clean gutters at least twice per year to protect their home and ensure their gutters are functioning correctly. Ideally, those biannual cleanings will take place in the spring and fall. Professional gutter cleaning is needed in autumn to remove all the fallen leaves, while spring gutter cleaning gives your handyman a chance to take care of debris accumulated over the winter and repair any breaks or weak points caused by snow melt.
Should I Have Gutter Guards Installed?
While gutter covers don't completely remove the need for regular maintenance, they do stop the rainwater disposal channels from filling up so fast—preventing them from getting strained and breaking as often—so they're a worthwhile investment. Screen guards cover the top of the trough, preventing leaves and other debris from falling in. Mr. Handyman's service technicians can take care of gutter guard installation while we're up on the ladder handling Flower Mound gutter cleaning and repairs.
Do I Need Gutter Repair or Replacement?
Whether you have a seamless gutters or need commercial gutter cleaning, the question of whether to repair or replace may pop up. Ultimately, the one you choose comes down to the extent of the damage. If there are only a few small holes or hairline cracks, it makes sense to have your handyman repair them with gutter sealant. Similarly, if only one or two sections of gutters are damaged (perhaps from a falling tree or rough weather), those sections can be replaced without needing to install an entirely new system. On the other hand, if the damage is widespread, it will be more cost-effective to simply replace the entire thing with a new system. Dozens of small repairs or trying to straighten out troughs that are crushed and mangled isn't worth it, and they'll likely need to be replaced before long anyway.
How Much Does It Cost For Gutter Cleaning in Flower Mound, TX?
So much less than what you’d pay for an entirely new gutter system. Whether you have copper gutters, vinyl gutters, or seamless aluminum gutters, a lack of cleaning could end up causing expensive damage that is simply out of your budget. We recommend cleaning your gutters twice per year, which is enough to prevent structural damage caused by clogs and water pools.
More importantly, the price for our gutter services is a small one to pay to protect your home from water damage and the problems that come with it. You’d rather prevent mold growth, insect infestations, and foundational issues if you could, right?
When It's Time for Gutter Cleaning, Flower Mound TX Can Count on Mr. Handyman!
If you live in the Flower Mound area, such as Ponder, Argyle, or Highland Village, there is only one well-equipped team to handle your gutter cleaning. Flower Mound handyman at Mr. Handyman provide the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex with professional service they can rely on. Trust the team of experienced technicians at Mr. Handyman of Flower Mound, Lewisville and Denton for excellent customer service and expert workmanship.
Contact us today by picking up the phone and calling us to speak with our dependable customer service staff and find out more about what we can do to enhance and protect your residential or commercial property or to schedule an appointment at a convenient time.